Home

Pepe Spits in the Face of Players Who Don't Wanna be Cool

This is a discussion on Pepe Spits in the Face of Players Who Don't Wanna be Cool within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
Rookie

Starducket Moon's Arena

OVR: 0
Pepe Spits in the Face of Players Who Don't Wanna be Cool

(I was about to press send posting this into the Pepe Alazar Saga thread, but thought this might be better off on it's own as not to derail that conversation.)

The Pepe Alazar card really annoyed me far more than it should have. Not because it is a diamond or all 99s. But because it made a mockery of me collecting these cards. If it was named "Roy Hobbs" and was jacked up like that I would have thought it sort of clever and a nod to a great baseball movie. Pepe though? It is so silly it just reminded me of the fact that these cards have absolutely ZERO value and not to take any of it seriously. That shouldn't happen. Everyone working up to having all diamonds isn't the problem. It's everyone having all the same diamonds that is. Like everybody having ARod at SS last year. They have somewhere about 60 legends now. Next year double or even triple it. Just give us a lot of variety to shoot for. Try to get every player that has a number retired on a team. Every player who has been elected to the HoF. Every hometown hero type guy. Like Andy Van Slyke. Great glove, good contact guy. Who cares if he's a gold or diamond? Can he hit Robin Roberts? Ron Santo from the Cubs vs Steve Rogers of the Expos. Richie Ashburn from the Phillies vs Cardinals Dizzy Dean. Cobb, Henderson, Ruth vs Gooden, Maddux, Clemens. I don't know how expensive it is to sign a legend, but maybe some players or families would do it for free? Then you don't have to create Pepes or whatevers.

Set up missions like so:
Mets

Collect Team: Prime David Wright
Beat Team 25 times: Tom Seaver
25 Wins with Mets pitchers: Jerry Koosman
25 saves: John Franco
200 strikeouts: Dwight Gooden
300 Hits: Gary Carter
100 HR: Darryl Strawberry
25 stolen bases: Mookie Wilson
25 doubles: Edgardo Alfonzo
10 triples: Prime Jose Reyes
Complete Mets Challenge board: Mike Piazza

So that's 10 challenges for 10 unique cards for one team. Adding the 29 other teams that makes 300 legend/Prime FB cards and will give us plenty of variety and value using our entire collection to complete. While they have given us a lot of old Topps cards to collect, and I am enjoying doing so, I think it's important to make them not only worth collecting but also fun to use.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Rookie

SigmundFraud's Arena

Re: Pepe Spits in the Face of Players Who Don't Wanna be Cool

This game is going to be really bland in a couple months when people start completing more of the dynasty program. Everyone with have 99 Griffey, 99 Vida Blue, 99 Ripken, 99 Feller, and 99 Cabrera.

I have no issue with them giving out good rewards just for playing the game. I'm just not sure how I feel about the rewards being cards that are the best player on the game at their respective position. When the game first released you'd see tons of variety, it was much more fun to play online back then. Now basically everyone that's any good has a team pulled from a pool of about 60 players. There are certain positions that are so weak that nearly everyone just uses the same player there.

I understand all the stuff about not being able to just put any legend you want in the game. But something should be done to inspire people to use different cards. Something that would help a lot would be making starting pitchers who don't throw 95+ useful online.

Events are a nice start, but even those can get bland sometimes. Maybe next year we'll see a salary cap type mode similar to 2k and madden.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

I agree with both of you guys. To be honest, Ive been getting pretty bored with the mode/game this year. Everyones teams are the same, the hitting is still a complete mess, it just discourages me a lot from playing. I try and go play rtts and im squaring up balls and they arent going anywhere, but then I cant see what they claimed to be wrong with my swing because the feedback is all messed up.

I dunno, I love baseball but this game just isnt doing it for me lately. They completely botch the launch year after year, and by launch I mean first two months of the game. Im still having freezing issues and getting Losses for them. They add fake made up players as the ultimate collection piece. Good timing gets a pulled foul ball while being late gives you the best chances at a hit. Theres zero variety in teams. I just find myself wanting to play this less and less in my free time.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starducket Moon
(I was about to press send posting this into the Pepe Alazar Saga thread, but thought this might be better off on it's own as not to derail that conversation.)

The Pepe Alazar card really annoyed me far more than it should have. Not because it is a diamond or all 99s. But because it made a mockery of me collecting these cards. If it was named "Roy Hobbs" and was jacked up like that I would have thought it sort of clever and a nod to a great baseball movie. Pepe though?....... They have somewhere about 60 legends now. Next year double or even triple it. Just give us a lot of variety to shoot for. Try to get every player that has a number retired on a team. Every player who has been elected to the HoF. Every hometown hero type guy. ..... I don't know how expensive it is to sign a legend, but maybe some players or families would do it for free? Then you don't have to create Pepes or whatevers.

You clearly have no idea how America works. First off no one is doing anything for free. Why? Cuz Capitalism. Also you need to pay the employees for the time it takes to make all these extra players.

Secondly, every HOFer and guy with his number retired? The NYY alone have 22 numbers retired. Furthermore, a lot of teams DO have most of those guys. The orioles for example are missing only Frank Robinson (and Earl Weaver but I'm not counting that for this sake). On top of that theres 220 HOFers. Now you just opened a whole different can of worms. What about Negro League players now? Only 35 of them and lord knows there were plenty more who were just as good.

Lastly time. I invite you to devote your time and resources to making additional players. The game was sick 2 years ago when all they had was 1 flashback per team. Its sick now. Have we really gotten to a point where we are complaining that the seemingly endless stream of flashbacks/legends isnt enough simply because ppl disagree with who they are?
Old 05-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Rookie

Also the rights to Roy Hobbs or any other movie likeness are probably more expensive than a players rights but thats just a flat out guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Rookie

They should do cross-promotional stuff, like a 99 diamond Spiderman or Resident Evil flashback cards.
Or just do a Smurfs team, there's about 100 of those.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
Rookie

SigmundFraud's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelch
They should do cross-promotional stuff, like a 99 diamond Spiderman or Resident Evil flashback cards.
Or just do a Smurfs team, there's about 100 of those.

I actually had a dream the other day where people had Spongebob characters on their teams.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
MVP

ph33's Arena

Right, the problem is they don't have the $$$ to pay all the legends. That's why you see so many repeats over and over and over again. These cards aren't new. They just changed the attributes on it. The same Dawson card was a 95 a year or two ago.

I agree that every lineup ends up being the same, makes it boring. And I don't blame people for that. I didn't bother playing ranked games until this week cause I wanted to just stack the deck before jumping in, knowing many others did the same.

The way they've encouraged people to trot out different lineups is with the rookie/breakout/etc. missions. None of which I have any incentive to complete, as it only gives 1% towards the dynasty program. And the players it'd force me to use would make it harder to win ranked games, and the point of those games to me is to just win. It doesn't benefit me that much to try and get 7 strikeouts with a rookie pitcher against a team full of diamonds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »