Home

What are you working on? (returning)

This is a discussion on What are you working on? (returning) within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #6433
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: What are you working on? (returning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeuceR6
I was only 7-1 in ranked but I'm up to 9-1 now this season and up to a 678 rating my best of the year. Going to shoot for 700 over the weekend.

Believe I figured out why I've been struggling at the plate so much the last couple weeks. I was 're watching a what would Brev do vid and he mentioned getting a new controller because he thought he was having some input lag. Picked up a new controller and sure enough I'm able to turn on fastballs again and pci placement is more precise.

I hope this isn't a regular thing though. Dropping $70 every 3 months on a new PS5 controller is not something I want to do.
Ouch, that's unfortunate re: PS5 controller. I hope that's an outlier...

Played my WS game last night and couldn't get anything going. Was home team at Date Palm and in the bottom of the 9th Trout hit a bullet to the CF wall (I thought it was gone) with the tying run on 1st, but it was wrong side of good. Then I stupidly tried to steal with Mantle, down by 2 (what was I thinking!?), and he was thrown out to end the game.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #6434
Ride on Kentucky Kid

doubledeuceR6's Arena

OVR: 12

Lost my next 2 RS games. First guy I played was just better. Absolutely diced me up on the mound. I pitched pretty well but the few mistakes I made were not missed.

Lost a heart breaker in the 2nd game. Got down early but clawed my way back and took a 7-5 lead on 3 run homer from Machado in the middle innings but couldn't hold the lead and got walked off in extra innings and lost 8-7. This guy was amazing at the plate, it's honestly a miracle I was even in the game. One of the few times I was genuinely at a loss on what to throw to get him out. He out hit me 17 to 9 and honestly probably could've had 30 hits but the rng apparently wanted a close game. Lol

See if we can finish off '20 by getting to 700 in this last season before '21 rolls out.
Twitter: @CQRDeuce @CQRclub
www.cqrclub.co.uk

Last edited by doubledeuceR6; 03-15-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #6435
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

Games that are back and forth are enjoyable, even in defeat. And it's cool to appreciate good competition.

In my next WS attempt, my opponent and I had 4 lead changes throughout the game, but he finally prevailed 8-7 on a top of 9th HR from Belli - I had the winning run at the plate with Soto, but Goose got me to chase on a 3-2 change up to end the game.

I eventually clawed my way back to a 3rd WS game that I won on the road at Franco Park - it's my 2nd time to WS this year.

Last edited by sbmnky; 03-15-2021 at 08:08 PM. Reason: clarity
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2021, 10:40 PM   #6436
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmnky
Games that are back and forth are enjoyable, even in defeat. And it's cool to appreciate good competition.

In my next WS attempt, my opponent and I had 4 lead changes throughout the game, but he finally prevailed 8-7 on a top of 9th HR from Belli - I had the winning run at the plate with Soto, but Goose got me to chase on a 3-2 change up to end the game.

I eventually clawed my way back to a 3rd WS game that I won on the road at Franco Park - it's my 2nd time to WS this year.
I was looking at some of the world series standings/ratings.... Those top guys are hitting like 450 🙄

My avg this season... Mostly in division is 280. I think I'm 11-4 and two games from cs. How hard is it to make ws? I feel like I'll destroy someone then get destroyed myself. Then I will play people with ws icon that I beat handedly... I get some people are that good but is it sometimes just connection and opponent draw luck?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 PM   #6437
MVP

I've finally kind've tired of the show 20

Don't feel like I have ws skills yet... And the event is just kind've bleh now that I've prestiged Kershaw and mantle. Also been using kind've a dog team in event since I have everyone I care about prestiged.

I miss the moments, innings goals, etc... Working towards new cards. I'm ready for 21...still hoping to find a ps5 before release

Last edited by ValhallaVikings; 03-15-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #6438
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValhallaVikings
I was looking at some of the world series standings/ratings.... Those top guys are hitting like 450 ��

My avg this season... Mostly in division is 280. I think I'm 11-4 and two games from cs. How hard is it to make ws? I feel like I'll destroy someone then get destroyed myself. Then I will play people with ws icon that I beat handedly... I get some people are that good but is it sometimes just connection and opponent draw luck?
For me, getting to WS takes time, but I don't find the difficulty to be much different once you're playing exclusive HoF difficulty games.

I'm not a very good hitter - I hover around .270 in RS, but I'm 70+ game over .500. I rarely get blown out and rarely blow out other players. I have to grind out each ranked season and play strategically. I played a lot of RS games this past season (45; 30-15 record) because I started at 550 rating. To further put that into context, I averaged 4.95 runs a game with an ERA of 4.82 and I outscored my opponents by 38 runs (less than 1 run a game), but still made WS (not flashy lol)

I get in major slumps (I think I dropped as low as 500 rating this past season after getting above 600) when I get too confident or impatient and think I can hit every pitch. I think having maxed out contact/power guys makes me a worse hitter because the PCI is so big. I have the hardest time centering my PCI even though my timing is good which leads to lots of lazy flyballs. My best games are when I'm getting 8-11 hits and 3-5 walks.

My goal is to become a 300-320 hitter, which is only approx another 1-2 hits per game. Then I won't have to spend so much time grinding to WS. I'm trying to redefine my approach before '21 comes out, because I know I won't have as much time to play this year and I don't want to play more than 20-25 RS games a season. I felt I spent a lot of time during '20 to learn DD (had been playing Franchise exclusively for 10+ years before diving into DD)

Last edited by sbmnky; 03-16-2021 at 10:06 AM. Reason: provided more context
Old 03-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #6439
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I realize now that I robbed myself a bit of some of the fun on this year's DD mode with some strategic mistakes. That said, I still pumped a ton of time into the mode and with my PS5 in-hand, I will likely do so again this year. Still left a lot unaccomplished and for MLBTS20 and I honestly blame myself on that to a degree.

Assuming a great deal of the structure is similar to MLB20's mode, I'm going to make a few changes to how I approach the mode this year.

1. I'm not going to try to jam through completing the Live Series collection. This is where I feel like I screwed myself last year in terms of having something to "shoot for". I'm going to try to rely a bit more on earned rewards vs buying packs/players to build up the collection. Sure, the temptation is always there because of team collection rewards, but I'll get there eventually.

2. Going to try and work the auction house a bit more. It's a bit tedious, but it isn't all that hard to do. I also figure that there will be a lot of noobs this year from the XBox crowd, I will do everything possible to exploit them

3. Going to avoid locking-in guys unless it is to earn an actual player reward. This one really complements the first two goals. I locked-in cards a bit too early, only to watch a player's price temporarily skyrocket. I go to sell him...and...he's unsellable.

4. I'm going to make a more conscious effort to utilize a wider array of cards throughout the year. One thing I did late in the year for the TA maps was to create squads with specific team restrictions for each map. It was actually a lot of fun doing so. I need to see the overall layout of this year's mode, but I want to try and do a very specific approach to team builds based on map/opponent. This changes though if SDS FINALLY brings back some significant grind missions.

5. This one is more of a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of deal, but I really want to try and go NMS. I don't HAVE to (from a financial perspective), but I again feel like I robbed myself of some of the enjoyment of opening up those free packs.

6. I ignored a LOT of the content based on non-Legends players as I was focused on just 80s/90s era players. It bit me in the butt a little as I needed to catch up later-on for some pretty decent cards (I STILL don't have all the monthly programs done for this year).

Things I did this year that I am going to continue doing:

1. I'm going to continue grabbing those RS rewards as they come out - particularly those Division(?) Series rewards. Some of them (Guidry comes to mind) are bleeping fantastic this year and were dirt-cheap when I bought them. Definitely some low-hanging fruit with those cards.
2. Continue holding onto all of the XP reward cards. Watching people spend 10000s of stubs on gold/low-diamond cards they earned for free earlier in the year for the Mike Trout collection was hysterical. I had virtually all of those collections complete when he dropped because I kept them.

So what are you guys going to do? Any changes/ideas to your approach as 21 comes out?
Old 03-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #6440
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmnky
For me, getting to WS takes time, but I don't find the difficulty to be much different once you're playing exclusive HoF difficulty games.

I'm not a very good hitter - I hover around .270 in RS, but I'm 70+ game over .500. I rarely get blown out and rarely blow out other players. I have to grind out each ranked season and play strategically. I played a lot of RS games this past season (45; 30-15 record) because I started at 550 rating. To further put that into context, I averaged 4.95 runs a game with an ERA of 4.82 and I outscored my opponents by 38 runs (less than 1 run a game), but still made WS (not flashy lol)

I get in major slumps (I think I dropped as low as 500 rating this past season after getting above 600) when I get too confident or impatient and think I can hit every pitch. I think having maxed out contact/power guys makes me a worse hitter because the PCI is so big. I have the hardest time centering my PCI even though my timing is good which leads to lots of lazy flyballs. My best games are when I'm getting 8-11 hits and 3-5 walks.

My goal is to become a 300-320 hitter, which is only approx another 1-2 hits per game. Then I won't have to spend so much time grinding to WS. I'm trying to redefine my approach before '21 comes out, because I know I won't have as much time to play this year and I don't want to play more than 20-25 RS games a season. I felt I spent a lot of time during '20 to learn DD (had been playing Franchise exclusively for 10+ years before diving into DD)

Hmmm...maybe thats my thing is just the volume. I think I'm something like 120-70 or so but I don't think i've come anywhere close to 45 in a season. I may knock out 10 games bc I do tend to play the event a good bit.

But i do the same winning streak/losing streak deal. I think events actually jack me up and then I go to RS and get back on track. To me tho I actually care about RS and not event. So I find the games stressful most the time. Sometimes I sit down and i'm like not trying to get that invested lol.

Last time I made championship series I ran off like 8 wins in a row and then I continuously lost until wild card. I also think flip flopping between HOF/All Star really messes me up too. It's not so much being late on the fastball but the speed differentials. I can react on all star and still hit HRs, I can't really do that on HOF. Like Bauer owns me for example, his sinker is like 110mph and the cutter is like 45mph.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »