Home

Academic Prestige

This is a discussion on Academic Prestige within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2005, 06:07 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Academic Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauminator
By Miami I can only assume you mean Miami University in Oxford, OH. The one in Florida has no great academic reputation that I'm aware of.
Another dolt talking out of his butt...

Not only is Miami ranked 58th out of all universities (and ahead of Miami, OH) and considered a top institution, it also posts some of the gaudiest admissions numbers arounds:

Princeton Review Admissions Selectivity Ranking: 97 out of 99

[http://www.princetonreview.com/colle...&intbucketid=]

Average GPA: 4.04

SAT Scores (25-75 percentile): 1200-1360

[http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Mai...315-2,00.html]

Think before you post...

Last edited by BrianBrockmeyer; 07-23-2005 at 06:12 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3

wow, 4.04 average GPA... what is that like a A+++++?LOL

...Anyway, anyone at all seeing any trends as to when their academic prestige rises or lowers?

I'm playing with Temple and they started as a 4 star academic prestige team but now I am 3 stars. I did recruit a lot of "poor" discipline guys but I can't tell for sure if academic prestige is tied in to discipline or the field awareness rating (which would make little sense) or something else that I'm not seeing.

Also, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with how many players you graduate because as Temple, I graduate everyone... nobody is heading to the NFL early... and in the "Players Leaving" screen in the offseason I never seen anything but "graduated" next to players names. Maybe they planned to add something like this in but it didn't make it in?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBrockmeyer
Another dolt talking out of his butt...

Not only is Miami ranked 58th out of all universities (and ahead of Miami, OH) and considered a top institution, it also posts some of the gaudiest admissions numbers arounds:

Princeton Review Admissions Selectivity Ranking: 97 out of 99

Average GPA: 4.04

SAT Scores (25-75 percentile): 1200-1360

[http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Mai...315-2,00.html]

Think before you post...

I graduated from Syracuse (ranked #52). Trust me, being in the "top 20%" doesn't make Miami God's gift. You won't have to worry about Miami grads joining secret societies with plans to create a new world order (I'm kidding).There is quite a difference between the schools ranked 1-10 and everyone else.

And can we please get off the hypersensitivity about Miami? It's a good (not great) academic institution with a beautiful campus and lots of beautiful women. I would have loved to have gone to Miami had I been willing to be so far from home. But people (especially college football fans) have this impression of Miami as being this huge party school where academics are secondary. That's probably because their athletics department is always in some kind of trouble and there is always some scandal going on. They see that on ESPN... not how many Rhodes scholars they have. Its a misconception... nothing to start a flame war or to start name calling about.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #28
Treble Complete

billmatic's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG
The worst private school is still better than nearly all public schools. 58th in the entire country is what I'm looking at.
that's not even close to true. once you get past the top 20 or so private schools, they're really no better than public schools. there's around 20 public schools ranked higher than Miami.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #29
Rookie

TomHolmoe's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBrockmeyer
Academic reputation is based on the number of your players who graduate.
Yeah, I was looking around on the internets and found out that it was based on graduation rates, but what counts as a graduate? Someone who uses up all of his eligibility or stays for four seasons? What about guys who have been recruited over and you cut because you have freshmen who are better than them? Is it simply the ratio of guys who you can talk into staying for another season and guys who you cannot? Anyway, the thing I've been trying to do since finding this out is burning everyone's redshirt. It looks like I'll have to put my non-starters in on kick coverage or whatever and keep them buried on the depth charts until they're seniors.

I couldn't help but think of Ronde Barber, who supposedly left Virginia early for the NFL draft because he was only a redshirt junior, but can you really say he left early since he had his degree in hand? The same with Alex Smith this year, would he count as an early departure in this game?
Old 07-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #30
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5

Interesting numbers, thank you for sharing. I was just sharing my perception. Private schools are not inherently better than public schools. I would say that each program (i.e. Business or Law) has a few elite followed by the majority which are solid and maybe a few weaker ones. I am convinced that the quality of an education depends entirely on the student and how they apply what they have learned in the professional world. A university with high tuition, professors with triple doctorates, and a 1:1 student-faculty ratio will not give the student a great education if the student is unwilling or unable to receive, absorb, and apply what he is taught. In addition, one cannot use the Princeton Review as the ultimate ranking of America's colleges and universities. There are multiple variables when an individual selects an institution to attend beyond merely the quality and availability of certain programs or the supposed quality of the school overall, including distance, financing, and the student's own biases. The biases themselves are formed from innumerate forces in the form of personality and upbringing. The PR is quite handy for measuring the general quality of each school's programs, but is hardly a measurement of which school is better.

So, while the Princeton Review may consider Miami, FL to be slightly better than Miami University, there is no way to say conclusively that their academic prestige should be higher. It all comes down to perception and since it would be fiscally irresponsible and largely unimportant to the game itself to conduct a census of the nation's perceptions of American Collegiate Academia, we're stuck with either a blind application of some magazine's rankings or else one individual's rankings. As I said, though, as far as the game goes I don't particularly care what it says (although Iowa could be a star higher). Additionally, since we're discussing perception, no ranking will ever convince me that Miami, FL is a more desirable school to attend than Miami University. I deplore hot weather, I am not wowed by the supposed superior attractiveness of the women, I would not want to travel that far, and I've never liked the Hurricanes.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:16 PM   #31
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Let's try to get this back on the topic please. Has anyone figured out if there is a way to know if you're recruiting players that will boost your academic prestige? I haven't seen a definite answer in this thread yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #32
Rookie

TomHolmoe's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan3723
Let's try to get this back on the topic please. Has anyone figured out if there is a way to know if you're recruiting players that will boost your academic prestige? I haven't seen a definite answer in this thread yet.
Yeah, this "my school can beat up your school" drivel is pretty silly. Who cares?

I found a couple of interviews with producers of the game that seem to indicate that it is the "graduation rate" that affects the academic prestige. I'm guessing EA took the easiest path possible and made it a ratio of seniors who are leaving after having used up all their eligibility to those who left "early" and you were not able to convince to return for their final years of eligibility. I'm also guessing that RS Jr's leaving early will count against you.

With these assumptions in hand, I'm going to try to make sure none of my players ever redshirt. If he is a redshirt, he won't see the field at all until he is a senior. Those are my goals, anyway. I think these steps will maximize my so-called "graduation rate" and bump up my academic prestige rating.

What I'm not sure about is whether or not something like cutting a sophomore or a junior who isn't as good as a hotshot freshman will count against me, but I'm guessing that it will not since that could present a problem with the players you have to cut every year to get your rosters down to 70. I'll have to guess those cut players disappear into the ether to earn their difficult sociology or kinesiology degrees to prepare them for the lucrative world of outside sales.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »