Home

Sim engine fix for NCAA 2006

This is a discussion on Sim engine fix for NCAA 2006 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2

http://www.maddenmania.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103340
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Banned

Samantha's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Sim engine fix for NCAA 2006

Copy and paste it if you can, I can't get in there...continues to say too busy.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

here you go:

Quote:
Sm27's Sim Engine Fix For NCAA 2006

Let me start by saying I wasn't going to buy this game. I have been lurking for the past couple of weeks, and for me, sim engine problems drive me friggin NUTZ! I could go into a big long tirade about what the problem is with the Sim Engine and how easy it would be for EA to fix it, but their is no point whatsoever in that.

I got the game 3 nights before last, and I have been working on this non stop. There is just something about a Challenge that really gets me going.
I tried Dozens of combinations of the Coaching sliders from every extreme imaginable, I was Inspired by the frustration all of you have been going through, so I plunked down the $50 and went at it. This is what I have found.

#1 PROBLEM WITH THE SIM ENGINE:
one word....Ratings. The QB's are too accurate, and the DB's in "SIM WORLD" don't cover well enough. A Global Player Ratings Editor that is accessable at any stage during Dynasty Mode would make the sim engine fix a snap every year, but alas, that is a fantasy, so let's just keep it real and drop it. Ain't gonna happen. You COULD go through the entire DIV 1A roster at the beginning of your Dynasty and make adjustments to every QB, OFF Lineman, And DB to really make the SIM ENGINE perfect, but that is a temporary solution. If you plan on playing deep into multiple Dynasty Years, eventually the flawed Rookie Player Generator Formula that the game uses to create new players is going to bite you in the Azz, and you will be right back where you started. Considering Madden comes out in just a couple of weeks, this might not be such a bad Idea, and a combination of the Sim engine fix + a slight adjustment to the ratings in the problem areas could be really great in the short term. Being that I personally am the ultimate Madden Crazy, I myself may go with the "COMBO" route. But for the sake of all the guys that are interested in a Long Term NCAA solution, I will leave the "Combo" method out of this discussion. We will focus on "Coaching Philosophy Sliders" in the Sim engine only since ratings adjustments are not possible after you have begun a Dynasty.

PROBLEM:200+ QB RATINGS FOR AN INSANE AMOUNT OF QB'S.

It has been well documented in this forum just how bad this problem is in the default state of the game. After Simming no less than 10 seasons (all year "1" so I had the same personell to use as a control) with all coaching Sliders at default, I was sold on the fact that there was a serious problem. Focusing on the QB Efficiency Rating alone this is what you get in "Default" coaching sliders:
NUMBER OF QB'S WITH +200 QB RATING=Varies from 4-6 in year one
REAL NCAA QB'S WITH +200 QB EFFICIENCY RATING=0
SOURCE LINK=
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank...asseff&site=org

TD'S=avg-3 qb's with 49+, avg 19 qb'S with 30-48 TD's
REAL NCAA QB TD'S-...+49=0, ONE WITH 41, SIX QB'S WITH +30
SOURCE LINK=

ATTEMPTS=HIGHEST=1 QB WITH 525-531 att, 35 QB'S 300-399 att, NO QB'S 400 TO 500, NO QB OVER 600.
REAL NCAA PASS ATTEMPTS=HIGHEST= 2QB'S OVER 600!, 1QB OVER 500, 9QB 400-499, VAST MAJORITY QB'S 300-400.
SOURCE LINK=
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank...erpass&site=org

+70 COMP%=38-44QB'S, HIGHEST QB=81%, LOWEST QB=56%, VAST MAJORITY=+63%
REAL NCAA COMP%=2 QB'S+70%, HIGHEST=73.54%, LOWEST=42.34%, VAST MAJORITY=53-61%.
SOURCE LINK=

INT'S=12-15 QB'S WITH 11-19, NONE OVER 19, VAST MAJORITY WITH 4-9, 3 QB'S WITH 1 INT/and + 24 TD's!
REAL NCAA INT'S=HIGHEST=2QB'S WITH 19, LOWEST= 3QB'S WITH 3INT'S,*this particular area looks pretty good actually, untill you look at TD/INT ratio...too many TD's for the vast majority of EA QB's!

WHERE I HAVE GOTTEN TO WITH QB STATS:
There are some trade offs that are apparent here. First thing to consider is that damn +200 QB RATING that is so rampant in the default state, that is simply unacceptable to me. Their is no way that you can have a Top Rated QB on your team if you are competing with those insane ratings since the CPU considers QB Efficiency Rating+Total Yards as the "Benchmark" for top rated QB's. You COULD compete that way but all of the games the HUM plays would have to be Shootouts with EVERY GAME having to be scores of upwards of 48 for the HUM just to enter into the Competition for top QB from year to year. For a lot of guys this is a fun way to play, not for me though, I Like a balanced game, Good Defense, Balanced Offense, with a realistic score and stats., But I am getting off the point here.......

TRADEOFFS
There are choices to be made between different Offensive and Defensive statistical categories. In real life NCAA if you notice, TEXAS TECH and HAWAII had the most pass attempts,(642 and 602). I can get the pass attempts up from the default results, (best was 621 for Tommy Chiang) for one or two guys, with no one in the 400 range.This also results in more QB's with better INT/TD ratios, but then the TD Passes and overall scoring goes through the roof as well as COMP% and low Rushing stats, (Highest Rusher being in the 1450 to 1550 yrd range). Although the Pass attempts will be up there for the Leading schools, It blows everything else out of whack League wide as far as Scoring, Total TD's Passed, Low Rushing yardage, too many +70% COMP% QB's, (around 12), No QB below 63%..etc. I can Take care of the Overall Scoring aspect of the QB's and get the COMP%'s down with a combination of RUN/PASS DEFENSE and MAX CONSERVATIVE DEF AGGRESSION, but then I ended up with HORRIBLE "SACK" Leaders,(best was 9 with 4-6 being the norm). So If you guys want just blanket adjustments to the SIM ENGINE I have come up with a simple formula after testing at least 20-30 different combinations that I think DRASTICLY improves the sim engine OVERALL.

RESULTS USING THE "BLANKET NCAA COACHING FORMULA"

PASSING:
NUMBER OF QB'S WITH +200 QB RATING=0
HIGHEST QB RATING=196.3
LOWEST QB RATING=126.7
Vast Majority in 143-157 range
MOST PASSING TD's=42, 18 QB's bet. 30 and 40
MOST PASSES INTERCEPTED=14, 9 QB'S +10 INT,
4000+ YARD PASSERS=1-4170 yards, with 33TD/13INT
HIGHEST COMPLETION%=2 QB's @ 74%
TOTAL QB's WITH +70% COMPLETION%=6
HIGHEST AVG PER PASS=1 QB @ 10.2 yrds per pass...Guess who?..LOL
QB's WITH +300 YARDS PER GAME=14
QB WITH LOWEST YARDS PER GAME, 75 ATTEMPTS MINIMUM=139.7
MOST COMPLETED= 319comp/510att
SACKED!2 QB's with 36, 1 with 35, 26 QB's with between 25 and 35

RUSHING
MOST YARDS=1655/ 308att/5.3 avg/13 TD's/ long=31yds/ 150.4 yds per game
MOST TD's=19

DEFENSE
MOST TACKLES=90can be boosted with defensive SUB MORE/LESS adjustment if wanted
TKLS FOR LOSS=HIGH=25(DT), majority in the "teens"
MOST INTS=8
MOST PASSES DEFLECTED=13, many with "12"
MOST FORCED FUM=6(OLB)

Those are the "KEY" stats.

SM27's BLANKET NCAA COACHING PHILOSOPHY FORMULA

THIS IS THE FORMULA THAT GAVE ME THOSE STATS!

DO THIS TO ALL TEAMS COACHES BEFORE YOU START YOUR DYNASTY
FOR SIMMING ALL OF THE GAMES IN DYNASTY THAT YOU DON'T PLAY ONLY

OFFENSE:
RUN/PASS=Plus "4" to the PASS from DEFAULT, more Attempts means more chances for INT's, and SACKS. Plus 6 & 7 is too much, Defense can't stop the Offenses. This seems to be the best adjustment when combined with the DEFENSIVE adjustments.
CONS/AGG=DEFAULT, most are 50/50 anyway, this should stay at DEFAULT for Offensive "Personality" of each team, and to get the CPU to try to throw into coverage a bit, and not just dump it off all of the time.
SUB LESS/MORE=MAX to "MORE" sidethis helps to get more of the second string WR, OFF LINEMEN into the game thus creating Matchups that favor the DEF CB's, LINEMAN, for more sacks, INT's, etc....

DEFENSE:
RUN/PASS=Plus "5" to the PASS from DEFAULT Puts the Defenses across the board into more Pass Defenses instead of just getting picked apart in the 4-3. I might go to a "Plus 6 or 7", since Rushing yards have a little room to come up slightly...Still looking for that 1800 yard Rusher.
CONS/AGG=MAX CONS, THEN COUNT BACK "3" TO AGG. All the way MAX CONS left me with little to no SACKS or INT's Leaguewide, All the way MAX CONS +5 BACK TO AGG caused the QB RATINGS and TD TOTALS to go back up into Insanity, although Sacks went up. This is one of those "tradeoffs" I spoke about earlier. An EXTREMELY FINE LINE HERE! "4" Might end up being Perfect, But this is looking GREAT to me.

So!!
When starting a Dynasty, go through the Entire NCAA "COACH OPTIONS" and adjust them to the Values that I have given you in the above Formula. Then before Playing a game, Simply Put the Coaching Philosophy Options for the School you are about to play against back to their default State. It would be Extremely helpful If one of you guys could make up a chart that Documents for each coach, The results in Numerical %'s of my Formula, and then Next to that the DEFAULT values for each coach so it is easy to make the change back and forth before and after each game.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
Banned

Samantha's Arena

Wow, this sounds complicated. Is it doable? Is it somewhat easy? I haven't participated in a dynasty yet so I don't know much about all the coach options. Hell I have worked so hard to edit names of the top 10-15 players at each position, and to get some workable sliders, I certainly don't mind going a little extra length to make the sim stats more realistic.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 12

that would be great for a sim dynasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

It works.

I saw a difference just by putting these formulas in for 12 teams. Only 1 quarterback had over a 200 QB rating. QB completion percentages and touchdowns came down a little. I'm sure, if I put it in for all teams, I would see a dramatic difference, but that is alot of work for something that really doesn't bother me that much. I swear EA messes certain things up on purpose though, so they can have something to fix and improve the following year.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
Banned

Samantha's Arena

Now tell me this (someone who is experienced with the NCAA dynasty mode), what effect does the high completion percentage have on the overall game? Do the progressions go crazy? I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is something that can be overlooked.
I mean, I plan on editing all the coaches names anyways so I don't have eventually Texas coach coaching Arkansas or something. So I don't mind the work put into it if it will help progression or something. I guess let me know. If progression and players jumping pro works fine as is, then there might not be any need to do anything.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 1

This thread was very well thought out, and nice that he took his time out to do this, but for something like NCAA Football, where these tweaks go right out the door as soon as 4 years of Dynasty is up, will result in a waste of valuable hours in life.

Now I agree, for a game such as Madden, this would come in excellent, considering the same engine flaws are there, and I expect them to be as I have to tweak ratings EVERY year in Madden for sim results. But great job on the original poster's part.

NOTE: Why are you having to spend $50 dollars on a game, and then having to spend hours basically reprogramming the A.I.? LOL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »