Home

I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much

This is a discussion on I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #17
Th* *c*m*n!

ronnyballgame's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much

Yeah, I feel this a little also, yesterday I played Florida and Chris Leak was a friggin turnover machine, he threw 5 INTs, which totally killed their chances of beating me, and I was a bit upset that the momentum swung so hard in my direction that it scrambled his mind almost!
Florida State Seminoles

Rider Broncs- Graduated
LaSalle Explorers- Attaining Master's

Playing: FN4 UFC 2009, Tiger 10
Waiting: NCAA 2010, Madden 10, NHL 10
Old 08-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #18
Rookie

digit4lcowboy's Arena

OVR: 2

I agree that it makes it more realistic to an extent but when the non momentum team (both myself and the cpu have been in this situation) suddently sucks so bad that it is fumble/interception city something is up. I'd rather have the momentum against me and have a bunch of 4th down punts instead of throwing a pick or fumbling over and over. And yes I know how to pass the ball to an open receiver and not into coverage. Granted I still need to get the hang of 07 but I averaged 350-400 yards a game on 06 passing alone when set on heisman. All with throwing 8-10 picks total a season...not 5 in one game like the 07 with the momentum meter turned on.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
Rookie

ufox1810's Arena

OVR: 4

The problem I have with the momentum meter is that in my opinion it's not always accurate. I have the problem with it being too much in one game and then not being in the right direction in another

I am #1 UF playing #2 Auburn at their place. I go up 10-0 and have 4 bars of momentum, which makes sense because it's the 1st quarter and I'm up very quickly. I score another FG to start the 2nd quarter and it stays at 4 bars in my favor.

Well Auburn closes out the 1st half with 2 quick scores to take the 14-13 lead into the locker room. And you guessed it...I still have 4 bars of momentum in my favor.

At the end of the 3rd quarter they score again making it 21-13 and I only lose 1 bar. Well in the 4th while running down the clock Kenny Irons gets 4 first downs on only 7 carries and nothing moves on the momentum bar.

So now there is less than 2 minutes left in the game, I haven't scored since 1 minute into the 2nd quarter, Auburn is the home team and they have scored 21 unanswered, and they are running the ball down my throat. Momentum = 3 bars in UF's favor.

They miss a FG and I get a final score but can't convert the 2 pt. conversion. So I lose the game 21-19, but somehow I always had momentum according to the game even though after my initial 7 minute burst to start the game, I really did nothing.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Don't laugh but I got the smack laid down on my in my FSU dynasty. I coached my way to a 72-0 win over Clemson, a 30-3 win over Rice and a 28-14 win over NCSU. At 5-0 I head into Duke, give up an early score or so and get blasted 38-14. Losing isn't the problem. I got so angry because it was Duke. I went back to look at the matchup after the game and they're actually a B team and FSU is a B+ team. Pretty much even I guess.

You guys are right though about any given Saturday. I have to only look back to a few years ago when my Noles went to Chapel Hill and got raped 41-14 by the basketball school...UNC!

Game on!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Don't laugh but I got the smack laid down on my in my FSU dynasty. I coached my way to a 72-0 win over Clemson, a 30-3 win over Rice and a 28-14 win over NCSU. At 5-0 I head into Duke, give up an early score or so and get blasted 38-14. Losing isn't the problem. I got so angry because it was Duke. I went back to look at the matchup after the game and they're actually a B team and FSU is a B+ team. Pretty much even I guess.

You guys are right though about any given Saturday. I have to only look back to a few years ago when my Noles went to Chapel Hill and got raped 41-14 by the basketball school...UNC!

Game on!
im glad to know i wasnt the only that duke gave a run to. i ended up winning 31-7 (24 2nd half points) but you definately cannot overlook your opponents or let up with the momentum meter and thats what i like. i had clemson down 17-3 going into the 4th and escaped with a 27-20 2ot win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 8

I tell you what, i use to be agaisnt HFA when ea first introduced it. Time went on an I started to really enjoy what it did. Now in the xbox version you have both momentum an Hfa now that can be alittle to much if your behind so for xbox users just turn off the HFA an you will just have the momenum meter.

The meomentum meter only has a +5 or -5 effect agaist team ratings so that's not to bad but if you have the right sliders the momentum is friggin awesome.

i have the xbox 360 version and I'm having a blast.

Look at your sliders that may be the problem.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 6

Playing as a qb at oklahoma in legend mode i've had a couple of games this year that were basically caused by me being too greedy. I was up 17-13 on oregon at one point only to watch them outscore me 28-0 in the 2nd qtr and they ended up winning 72-41. then against texas i was playing the game of my life because at one point i was down 20-3, came back and tied it at 27 by halftime then went into the 4th qtr tied at 30 i threw 2 straight ints that were returned for touchdowns and gave up 38 points and lost 68-48. So to me its not necessarily the momentum meter it does have some to do with it, its pretty much me makin too many dumb plays and getting burned because of it btw this is on xbox
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #24
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop_Brady
Are you guys talking about the Xbox/PS2 or 360 version? I only have the 360 version so I can't comment on the other versions. The 360 version has a shield the ball button that should be used while running in tight quarters. You also need to switch hands to keep the ball on the opposite side of a defender in the open field. Utilizing these two buttons should lower your fumbles.

As far as momentum is concerned, I think it does a very good job of portraying it. If you try to regain it right away chances are you won't. You're forcing it by trying to strike back right away. You need to pound the ball out and sustain some drives while stopping their offense. The more you worry about the other teams momentum the more likely you are to make a mistake. That's pretty realistic IMO.
I read some of these posts and wonder if we are playing the same game. I love the momentum and in all my games I have not come across one instance where it didn't make sense. I am not saying that there can't be instances where it doesn't make sense, but I have played quite a few games and I haven't seen it. To me, the HFA, momentum, and IP all are in balance to provide a fun, fairly accurate portayal of college football. Isn't having fun what it's all about anyway?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »