Home

CPU vs CPU Discussion

This is a discussion on CPU vs CPU Discussion within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: CPU vs CPU Discussion

I am at my cousin's house who got the Ps3 version. No Cpu vs. cpu on Ps3 either. Guess it is wait till next year for us fellas. I tried the Super Sim mode and that won't work because you have to hit the button every play. I guess it's 2006 on the xbox 360 for me.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #58
MVP

Quint75's Arena

OVR: 16

I popped in 2006 last night and enjoyed the heck out of it. I know that '08 will almost certainly play a better game of football, and I agree that that is the most important thing overall. But just loading up 2006 and seeing all of the stuff that EA has once again left out of the 360 version just really tees me off:
-For starters, the 1AA teams are in there. That's a real positive, IMO. The more teams the better. Why they can't make the 360 cut is beyond me.
-Then of course there are the classic teams. What a great feature this is. All of the old teams in their old school uniforms is just too cool for words. Some of the match-ups you can create are just awesome.
-The pre-game feature where the players are introduced, the guys choose a player to watch, and Corso makes his pick.
-The create-a-school feature. Another one that EA has just let vanish.
-The auto-pass feature, so that you can basically just coach the game and not have to control anything, other than kicks.
-And of course, CPU vs. CPU, which was my bread and butter for years.

EA claims to have all of the current gen features in the next-gen versions, but they don't. It's a crock, and absolute crock that we pay $10 more for a game and get less features then current gen. And again, I know the gameplay is better in next gen and that IS the most important thing. But these are features that shouldn't take much development time at all. They have already been implemented for a long time in the current game versions. To me, this is just EA not caring enough about the hard-core fan. It's making the game for the masses and not giving it everything they've got. And maybe that makes perfect business sense. But from a long-time fan's perspective, it just plain sucks.
NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers
EPL: Liverpool Reds
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 1

I can't help but believe that there's some level of hostility to alternative forms of gameplay.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #60
Pro

rastak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksolo12
Ok guys,

I went out and purchased the PS2 version today just so I could have my CPU vs. CPU fix. I still don't understand why current gen has the and next gen does not. Oh well!!!!!

Someone mentioned in another thread that the PS2 & Xbox version are NCAA 7.5 and the 360 version is NCAA 08'. This could not be more true. It's almost as if EA completely forgot about the current gen versions.

I hope I don't offend but I'm guessing that this is really important because you do it all the time or it wouldn't be a big deal. Why do you want to watch a video game play itself? Time is money as they say, I can't imagine myself sitting down when I have time to game and watching the game play itself.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 AM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 3

This thread is for people who don't have time to sit down for hours and play a video game. It is just as entertaining to build a team watch the results of your recruiting and coaching strategies. This is what people call A.D mode. And Quint I agree 2006 was quite a game. The only thing that I remember that upset me about 2007 was that darn unsportsmanlike celebration that gave you a fifteen yard penalty. And in 2005 you had the drop passed issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #62
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint75
I popped in 2006 last night and enjoyed the heck out of it.
Glad to see this post Quint75. I may wind up going this route after seeing that this year's 360 version lacks so many features found in the XBox version. In BC mode with the 360's display settings at 720p, does NCAA 2006 in BC mode get widescreen (16:9) treatment? I know a lot of games get scrunched to 4:3 at 720p.

Quote:
And again, I know the gameplay is better in next gen and that IS the most important thing. But these are features that shouldn't take much development time at all. They have already been implemented for a long time in the current game versions. To me, this is just EA not caring enough about the hard-core fan.
It's a real head scratcher for me as well. Yes, NCAA 2008 plays great on the 360, but it's lacking the features I'm seeking to make it complete. I'm one of the minority who would possibly be more content with the 2006 XBox version in BC mode than the 360's 2008 version. EA Sports saved me $45 with this year's edition. I can buy 2006 used at Blockbuster for $14.95
Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #63
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastak
Why do you want to watch a video game play itself? Time is money as they say, I can't imagine myself sitting down when I have time to game and watching the game play itself.
Fair question, and I guess you would have to be an eccentric nerd like me to understand the answer I'm about to offer. There are times when I've got other things going on and I want to have something going in the background. It might be a Dynasty mode game in which I'm not particularly interested in playing hands-on. I want to be able to watch a key play when I hear it unfold.

The TV style presentation of a CPU Vs. CPU game is far more impressive to me, than the default camera mode of the 2008 game. People who aren't gamers are impressed with this when I show them the TV Broadcast presentation on my XBox (I have the 2007 version for it, which isn't BC ).

My Dad is a huge South Carolina fan. He will come over and make depth chart changes, just to see how it works out. He has no interest in laying hands on a controller during the game, other than to watch a replay. He raves about how the presentation makes him feel like he's watching a TV broadcast.

When I have the time to fully devote to the game, I'll grab the controller and go full hands-on. I just like having the option to do otherwise when time doesn't permit, or I just want to kick back and watch for a while.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #64
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastak
I hope I don't offend but I'm guessing that this is really important because you do it all the time or it wouldn't be a big deal. Why do you want to watch a video game play itself? Time is money as they say, I can't imagine myself sitting down when I have time to game and watching the game play itself.
To add to what others have commented about this, I think if there was a true Coach Mode on NCAA that many AD Moders would use that option as often as they would 'watch' a game.

Many people think text sims take care of the segment of the market who crave true 'dynasty' modes: recruiting; depth charts; administration of the program; etc. But, the real payoff for those gamers is watching the game unfold play by play. SO much time is put into graphical presentation that it is a waste not to enjoy it. A text sim option is a poor substitute. That is why those games are niche.

Personally, I don't see much difference in watching a CPUvCPU game and watching a televised Pro football game or a movie, or even playing a simulation game (Sim City, etc.). People choose to be fans of pro football teams for whatever reason, but no one has any real vested interest in the outcome (wagers notwithstanding), much less an effect on any plays, yet you sit there and watch and get excited about what happens. Same with movies, most of which are even predictable.

In a videogame, you set a lineup, depth chart, and all these other administrative tasks, and all these tasks have some effect on the game. We want to watch that play out, enjoy the suspense, enjoy the payoff. Would you like movies if you only got to see a couple of sentences of text summarizing what happened?

If you like to control every aspect of your game, great. But I can get so good with a controller that it really doesn't matter if I recruit well, or call the right plays, I win anyway. Coach Mode or CPU v CPU is much more strategic, a much more realistic challenge. That is why many try it, and most who try it stick with it.

Last edited by OSUPiper; 07-20-2007 at 12:43 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »