Home

Question about HDTV"s and NCAA

This is a discussion on Question about HDTV"s and NCAA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #33
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Question about HDTV"s and NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilesThing
Wow. And you really think you know what you're talking about when you're selling this stuff to people? I work in television. I'm a camera man for a station in Dallas. I know a thing or two about how tvs work. But don't take my word for it. I sit around all day with engineers who could build tvs let alone calibrate them, and they all would back up everything I've said. And you're right that most people wouldn't need a professional calibration done on their set. They usually run $25-$100. But every set could use some simple tests and color bars that the link in my previous post mentioned.

And I hate to break it to you, but you and all those people you know who have HD sets that think they have an awesome picture are probably staring at a flaming torch with how bright they have it. But you go right on ahead talking about how a dark basement would need high brightness and how you're TRAINED.
I'm a trained videographer as well. Used to work at WDTN here in Dayton. I also shot and edited commercials and news footage. What type of head do you shoot with?

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 06-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #34
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Wow. And you really think you know what you're talking about when you're selling this stuff to people? I work in television. I'm a camera man for a station in Dallas. I know a thing or two about how tvs work. But don't take my word for it. I sit around all day with engineers who could build tvs let alone calibrate them, and they all would back up everything I've said. And you're right that most people wouldn't need a professional calibration done on their set. They usually run $25-$100. But every set could use some simple tests and color bars that the link in my previous post mentioned.

And I hate to break it to you, but you and all those people you know who have HD sets that think they have an awesome picture are probably staring at a flaming torch with how bright they have it. But you go right on ahead talking about how a dark basement would need high brightness and how you're TRAINED.
My TVs look great so Im smoov baby boi!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #35
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
I'm a trained videographer as well. Used to work at WDTN here in Dayton. I also shot and edited commercials and news footage. What type of head do you shoot with?
I've used Hitachi and some Ikegami for a while but now the station's working in some new HD Sonys. I don't know how I feel about them.

Do you still work in the industry? You mentioned all that stuff in the past tense is why I ask. I've been curious to see what other editors think of Smoke. I've never used it but it looks robust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #36
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
I've used Hitachi and some Ikegami for a while but now the station's working in some new HD Sonys. I don't know how I feel about them.

Do you still work in the industry? You mentioned all that stuff in the past tense is why I ask. I've been curious to see what other editors think of Smoke. I've never used it but it looks robust.
Nope, I'm a factory flunkie now. Far more money in it, for now at least. I'm from the Sony Betacam days. Wdtn is finally going all digital, I wish I was there. But small markets mean small ad revenues means small pay. I had to get a "real" job. LOL What's funny is I don't miss shooting news or commercials, I miss shooting High School football. We had a friday night program called "Operation Football" that was so much fun. My best highlight ever captured was when Andre Hutson was playing QB at Trotwood-Madison here in Dayton pre-Michigan State B-Ball and he threw a perfect fade route to the corner of the endzone and the receiver caught it perfectly in stride and ran right by my camera. It was beautiful. Now I just shoot my kid doing 3-year old stuff. That's the best stuff I've ever captured.

P.S. Just to "name drop" when I worked there we had a on-air reporter by the name of Julie Chen. I think she probably doesn't miss 2News, either. And we had Michael Westbrook's brother, Alonzo, there for a minute, too.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Last edited by BrianFifaFan; 07-01-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #37
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
What's funny is I don't miss shooting news or commercials, I miss shooting High School football. We had a friday night program called "Operation Football" that was so much fun. My best highlight ever captured was when Andre Hutson was playing QB at Trotwood-Madison here in Dayton pre-Michigan State B-Ball and he threw a perfect fade route to the corner of the endzone and the receiver caught it perfectly in stride and ran right by my camera. It was beautiful. .
Ha! I know exactly what you mean. This is actually my last week at the station. I'm starting law school in August and it's a kinda slow sports wise right now so I got to shoot a little adult league softball yesterday. This guy made one of the best foul ball sliding catches I've ever seen! And I was about to pack it up and head to another field. Local sports is always full of surprises.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #38
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
Ha! I know exactly what you mean. This is actually my last week at the station. I'm starting law school in August and it's a kinda slow sports wise right now so I got to shoot a little adult league softball yesterday. This guy made one of the best foul ball sliding catches I've ever seen! And I was about to pack it up and head to another field. Local sports is always full of surprises.
Congrats on Law School! That's how you get a "real" job!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #39
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Congrats on Law School! That's how you get a "real" job!
Thanks. I will miss the reaction of people either:

A) Falling all over themselves to accomodate you once they realize you're a camera man

or

B) Completley clamming up since they assume you're shooting some kind of expose on their illicit affairs.

I suppose a lawyer could get a similar reaction but those cameras just do something to people.

Ok, I've hijacked this thread long enough. I'll withdraw. Back to tv talk!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »