Home

Kill the sprint button!

This is a discussion on Kill the sprint button! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #33
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Kill the sprint button!

have any of you guys actually played football? I know as a WR i wasn't always sprinting but when i did get an opening i would burst and sprint away. You're not supposed to just hold down the sprint button the whole time, its actually better if you dont hold the button down until its needed because your runner is under more control when you're not using the sprint button.

But you can't get rid of it and leave it to a rating to decide when a player is going to all the sudden run faster. You know how many people would be pissed if the sprint button was taken out of the game?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 8

I agree with both sides of the argument on a lot of issues brought up thats why I had to play the sideline on this one. But I agree with Trevjo more. When I play the game I release the sprint button when I'm changing direction because I find it hard for me to cut on a dime when I need to. So I don't play holding down the sprint button the whole time so I can't agree with eliminating it totally.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderRatedCoast
I'd say that
A) the difference between the sprint button and running top speed without it shouldn't be a huge difference.
B) trying to make moves while holding a sprint button could result in a player tripping over his own feet or stumbling.
C) sprinting could cause more fumbles if you are pushing the sprint button while getting tackled (notice how much looser a player holds the ball in real life while he's sprinting on a break away, and how many times that guy gets the ball punched out by a guy who actually catches him from behind)
I really like this idea though
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
I'd say that
A) the difference between the sprint button and running top speed without it shouldn't be a huge difference.
B) trying to make moves while holding a sprint button could result in a player tripping over his own feet or stumbling.
C) sprinting could cause more fumbles if you are pushing the sprint button while getting tackled (notice how much looser a player holds the ball in real life while he's sprinting on a break away, and how many times that guy gets the ball punched out by a guy who actually catches him from behind)
I really like this idea. I think it would make the game much more true to life and will make new players think twice about just dumping the ball off to their fastest guy and trying to sprint through defenders. Also I think they they should make quarterbacks much more susceptible to fumbles and tripping over himself when just blatantly sprinting backwards in an attempt to buy more time in the pocket.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
have any of you guys actually played football?
this is the problem here. people have madden smarts and not any idea how real football works. just because you can find exploits or money plays in a video game doesn't mean you have any clue how real football works. there is no way to account for players missing assignments, being inconsistent, or just being head cases. if you run the same 3 plays over and over again people will stop you. just because you know how to play madden well doesnt mean that you have ANY idea how football works. i can play the baseball game well enough to win on a consistent basis, this doesnt mean i know anything about baseball. even with tons of ability i couldnt pitch my way out an inning in little league. pitchers with all kinds of ability meltdown under pressure. same as football.

anyways i love the 2k football games but i am not a fast button tapper. i alwasy got tackled in techmo bowl cause in not a fast twitch muscle fiber guy. i dont think you should be faster than people because you tapp the button faster. i like nhl 09 does it, people take a few steps to get going and accelerate, then when they go to make a move going full speed they dont TRIP n Fall, they just slow down a bit to a speed that they can make that cut at. makes sence and would totaly give the power to ratings and not to the turbo button. i dont recall the old sega madden games having turbo, but hey i could be wrong
Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #38
Rookie

red butler's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I'd say that
I really agree with B & C but I think the difference between using the sprint button and not using it should be significant when talking about acceleration and top end speed. I think it would give you better control of the RB. I say this becasue with some games I have better success with slower RBs because I can set up the blocks better. In real life fast runninbacks can run just as slow as everyone else to set up their blocks. But even when I only control the player with the analog stick in the game, fast running backs overshoot their hole or overcorrect when changing direction. In games, speed is really hard to control with the analog stick... especially when making cuts. I'd like to see it where the back uses acceleration and decelleration to set the defense up with bad angles. You see it all the time with long returns, the ballcarrier will slow down to get the defense to take a bad angle... then accelerates to top speed.

I would design it so that the analog stick can only get the ball carrier to thier functional speed, lets say 75% of their top end speed. This would allow you to be really nimble with the back while running through the hole. When you press the sprint button not only would the back accelerate faster, but he would reach his top end speed. But take a big hit to his agility
Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #39
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eason24
I agree with all of that and would like to add something.
When ever you play someone with a fast wr, they will always send them on a fly route and hold down the sprint button to run up under it. Now how many wr you know that can run top speed while following the ball. So the fix should be that when the ball is in the air and you hold the turbo button, then the target where the ball is going to land should get a lot bigger, jump around, or just go away.
It should be harder to catch at full speed than at 3/4 speed, I agree with that. I don't know that changing the target is really the right way to do it.

Also you touched on a point at the beginning that I think EA needs to give attention to. In situations like that the CPU-controlled player should be sprinting on his own, the user shouldn't have to make him do it. Maybe they do already, but like you said sometimes it doesn't seem like it.

Last edited by TrevJo; 04-23-2009 at 02:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »