Home

Jump the Snap STILL in the game. For the love of God...WHY???!!!!

This is a discussion on Jump the Snap STILL in the game. For the love of God...WHY???!!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #89
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Jump the Snap STILL in the game. For the love of God...WHY???!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
IMO JTS is implemented no less realistically than other aspects of the game. Let's just pick a couple for example:
-Throwing... QBs throw the ball too hard, lobs are ridiculous rainbows, it's too easy to throw off back foot or on the run, it's too easy to no-look pass, passes almost never hit the ground without someone getting a hand on it, there are no different release points for throwing around a defender in your face, passes never wobble.
-Tackling... Suction tackling, greased pig, auto-break-tackle with moves even for small players running between the tackles, no counter moves once a tackle animation begins, silly gang-tackling animations that basically totally override the first tackle attempt, some overdone big hit animations.
-Blocking... Suction blocking, defenders magically coming off blocks when sprint button is pressed, too many pancakes in pass blocking, pretty much everything about blocking sucks really.

I could go on and on. The point is, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The way I see it, with JTS, there are two issues:
1. The CPU tries to jump the snap all the time on AA and Heisman. In the case of players not using a hard count, that is the player's fault. In the case of players using the hard count and the CPU getting called for encroachment all the time, that is something that should be worked on in the game.
2. People hate the speed bonus for players who successfully jump the snap. This is something EA can fixed. They're not going to pay attention, though, if people just say, "Jump the snap sucks, get rid of it!"

So, I see two things that can be worked on to make the feature better. Focus on constructive suggestions. I don't understand all the clamoring to remove the feature all together. Taking jump the snap out of the game doesn't make any more sense than taking spin moves out of the game.
The difference though is that you could remove Jump the Snap and the game would still work just fine. You could not remove throwing or tackling and still call the game a football game.

I agree that most features in this game could be implemented better in some fashion. But JTS has almost no positive reason to remain in the game. As has been stated this aspect of the game should be more ratings based than trigger-finger based.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #90
MVP

OVR: 9

i have to agree that the feature isnt the problem as much as it is how effectively its implemented. at the same time its understandable why people would just want the whole thing scrapped when its implemented so poorly. just like how instant replay last year on ncaa was so completely worthless pointless and a waste of time that the game would have been better off without it.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #91
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
The difference though is that you could remove Jump the Snap and the game would still work just fine. You could not remove throwing or tackling and still call the game a football game.
I agree, but that's why my example at the end was, "Taking jump the snap out of the game doesn't make any more sense than taking spin moves out of the game."
Obviously throwing, blocking, and tackling are even more fundamental to the game. But you could take spin moves out too, but that doesn't mean you should, even if they didn't work right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I agree that most features in this game could be implemented better in some fashion. But JTS has almost no positive reason to remain in the game. As has been stated this aspect of the game should be more ratings based than trigger-finger based.
I don't agree that there is no positive reason for it to remain in the game. Jumping the snap is a part of football.
I don't agree that it's trigger-finger based. Football is largely about decision-making, instincts, and out-guessing your opponent. When you get an early jump on an interception, or leave a defender grasping for air by cutting back right at the same time as they cut to the other side, that's the same kind of thing, that's anticipation. Besides, JTS could be ratings-based... higher awareness CPU players could be more likely to jump successfully, and lower-awareness CPU players could be more likely to jump offsides.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #92
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

JTS being a part of football is a lame excuse for this feature to be in the game. WR's can toss DB's in BnR and that isn't in the game. DB's and LB's aligning properly on defense happens and it is not in the game. DE's are taught to contain naturally as a technique and this isn't in the game (instead EA developed a play called DE contain and there is no such play.). All these elements are more important than the stupid JTS feature in the game. People that defend this feature either use it, or I will get banned or warned if I post the other reason.

Show me one game between evenly matched teams over the course of the season where a defense JTS more than once or twice a game. They anticipate the snap all the time, but JTS is a different story. It just doesn't happen that often. And when it does happen, it is usually by a LB rather than a DT or DE. You see swim moves all game long and nearly every play. Show me a football game where a player is JTS all game long. Your analogy comparing the two doesn't make sense.

When you think of a great DE I think immediately of LT, Reggie White, and Bruce Smith. Were they good because they could JTS? Heck no. They were good because they were freaks of nature when it came to athleticism at their position and they mastered good fundamentals and techniques. JTS in the game isn't fundamental and isn't a technique.

I will ask you one question.. How does JTS helps the game? The features I mentioned in my first paragraph would all help the game and they aren't in the game.

Last edited by heavy_hitter; 05-06-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #93
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hitter
JTS being a part of football is a lame excuse for this feature to be in the game. WR's can toss DB's in BnR and that isn't in the game. DB's and LB's aligning properly on defense happens and it is not in the game. DE's are taught to contain naturally as a technique and this isn't in the game (instead EA developed a play called DE contain and there is no such play.). All these elements are more important than the stupid JTS feature in the game.
The difference is, the feature is there, they just need to fix it. Obviously there are a lot of things not in the game. If they could add them all and do them all right, I'm sure they would. But they can't. I would think it's easier to fix an existing feature.

Quote:
Show me one game between evenly matched teams over the course of the season where a defense JTS more than once or twice a game.
Are you asking in real life, or in the game?

Quote:
They anticipate the snap all the time, but JTS is a different story.
Explain.

Quote:
It just doesn't happen that often. And when it does happen, it is usually by a LB rather than a DT or DE. You see swim moves all game long and nearly every play. Show me a football game where a player is JTS all game long. Your analogy comparing the two doesn't make sense.
I disagree about LBs vs DTs or DEs.
Nowhere have I advocated that it's good for players to JTS all game long.

Quote:
When you think of a great DE I think immediately of LT, Reggie White, and Bruce Smith. Were they good because they could JTS? Heck no.
That wasn't a big part of what those players did. Some guys are great at it, though. Warren Sapp and Neil Smith, for example.

Quote:
I will ask you one question.. How does JTS helps the game? The features I mentioned in my first paragraph would all help the game and they aren't in the game.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's the end of the world if the feature is not in. I just don't understand why people are so adamant that it should be removed, rather than being adamant that it should be fixed.

To answer your question, how does it help the game? It makes the cadence important, and gives defensive players on the line of scrimmage an opportunity to make a big play. Now I could see if you want to argue that you just get rid of the JTS button, and instead people just move their guy a bit early to kind of simulate the same thing, that makes some sense. But I haven't heard anyone make that argument. Maybe that's what everyone wants and I just haven't realized it. The other point I would make is that I think there is kind of a technique difference between trying to shoot a gap against OL that are in their stance, vs the way you come off the ball against OL that have already reacted to the snap count. (You take a quicker first step but with less power because you are hoping to be unblocked.)
Old 05-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #94
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
The difference is, the feature is there, they just need to fix it. Obviously there are a lot of things not in the game. If they could add them all and do them all right, I'm sure they would. But they can't. I would think it's easier to fix an existing feature.

Are you asking in real life, or in the game?

Explain.

I disagree about LBs vs DTs or DEs.
Nowhere have I advocated that it's good for players to JTS all game long.

That wasn't a big part of what those players did. Some guys are great at it, though. Warren Sapp and Neil Smith, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's the end of the world if the feature is not in. I just don't understand why people are so adamant that it should be removed, rather than being adamant that it should be fixed.

To answer your question, how does it help the game? It makes the cadence important, and gives defensive players on the line of scrimmage an opportunity to make a big play. Now I could see if you want to argue that you just get rid of the JTS button, and instead people just move their guy a bit early to kind of simulate the same thing, that makes some sense. But I haven't heard anyone make that argument. Maybe that's what everyone wants and I just haven't realized it. The other point I would make is that I think there is kind of a technique difference between trying to shoot a gap against OL that are in their stance, vs the way you come off the ball against OL that have already reacted to the snap count. (You take a quicker first step but with less power because you are hoping to be unblocked.)
You just don't get it.

Last edited by heavy_hitter; 05-07-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #95
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
I don't agree that there is no positive reason for it to remain in the game. Jumping the snap is a part of football.
I don't agree that it's trigger-finger based. Football is largely about decision-making, instincts, and out-guessing your opponent.
There is nothing stopping you from going in early on the snap without having it as a special feature.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #96
MVP

OVR: 34

I just dont like things that make the rating of the player irrelevant.

It's the same reason why I dont like run commit/pass commit.

A DL's ability to shoot the gaps, and cause disruption should be based on his quickness, accleration, awareness, power/finesse move ratings, as well as the rating of the OL opposite him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »