Home

NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues.

This is a discussion on NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyBanana
Maybe the Madden team had more people working on it?

Or Maybe Madden had people they could devote to just formation subs.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like formation subs, I would love them. But to sit here and question the information that OMT is so kind to give us on his own time I don't agree with.
if we the people purchasing the game dont question, who will??
Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #50
Rookie

smace767's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC IS ART
I just don't get it. I'm not trying to bash or flame or anything, but what was a higher priority over formation subs? It just seems like over the years its the same generic response of why things the consumers want are not put into the game. If their was more interaction with the community besides OMT, maybe it wouldn't seem like people are bashing him.

I understand this is no easy feat when it comes to programming games, but it feels like a waste of time to make wishlists or suggestions when the things we want the most (a fundamentally sound game of football with college atmosphere) are continually overlooked or responded with "will try to get it in the next year".

A big reason why it seems like Madden is crushing NCAA, is not because of advertising or hype or whatever crap is being said as the reason. Its because this community specifically, feels they have actual input/voice on how the game progresses. With NCAA its more like whenever we receive info/media it only raises more questions or eyebrows. Until NCAA adopts the mantra "Everything you see on Saturday, See it in NCAAF" I feel it will always be considered little brother to Madden.
What you just said is the point. We on this board are a small, small piece of the 1.6 million in the Ncaa community. There is a whole 879 people on this site right now.

The NFL will always be bigger than college football. Madden will always sell 5.5 million to Ncaa's 1.6 million.

You are fooling yourself if you want, or think college football will ever be bigger than the NFL.

You all will be less frustrated, when you realize that what ever sells the most copies is going to be the highest priority. While it would make the game so much better, formation subs will not get new consumers to buy Ncaa.

Anything new will always be marketed in Madden with a footnote that it will be in Ncaa. And buy nature, Madden is a smaller game(less teams and less stadiums) than Ncaa. So there is more room to work with. So it will always seem like Madden is crushing Ncaa and Ea wants it to be that way.

They hear our requests and they start with a list that gets trimmed down every year. Making and selling a video game is a business and disk space is limited. If you were in charge of EA and you put in formation subs, you would get fired with a quickness. Business wise it would be stupid as h#ll to put in formation subs with the disk size and consumer market the way it is right now.

If we really want a better game, everybody should buy a ps3 and complain about the 360's disk drive size. Once Microsoft moves to a true next generation system with a larger disk drive, we will have a football game so much better than what we have now. Then they(EA) wont have to choose sales features over formation subs and custom playbooks.
Thats what the community should be doing.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #51
Pro

Lava's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
And as a dev team we'd rather do formation subs than mascot mode. However, mascot mode was such a minute change that it had no real impact on our schedule. It was less than a day worth of work.

Formation subs on the other hand is something like 300-500 hours of dev time. A significant impact. Trust me, we wanted to do formation subs... but one of the most difficult parts of our job is making hard cuts to our task list for the year.
Out of curiosity, how many hours of dev. time did Season Showdown take?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 AM   #52
Pro

droopizzle34's Arena

OVR: 18

Choice is a way of human life. You don't have to shop at the same store.You have a variety of brand choices. You don't have to eat the same food everyday;there are many foods to choose from. Do you have one channel or network on your tv? no. You are able to pick and choose the best for your taste.

EA gets bashed and criticized so bad because they are the only game in town.They have exclusive rights to NFL and NCAAF. EVERYONE HAS TO PLAY THEIR GAME. So there should be no surprise they take alot of criticism.

Exxclusive rights had hampered getting great product in our football games.No one can really say if EA is seriously giving effort.When you're the only game in town,you can put out anything.You can rest on your laurels.There is nothing to be compared to,nothing to be judged by. Look no further than the NBA games. EA is getting tired of being spanked by NBA 2K,so they came with the ground breaking DNA and 365 feature.All that comes from competition and being challenged.I miss the days you could choose between Madden, NFL 2k,NFL Gameday,and NFL Fever. What one didn't have,the other did,and we as consumers were happy.2k5 put Madden on notice,then the exclusive deal came,and Madden has been sour since.

We are lucky to have Ian Cummings as a lead designer for Madden,but our NCAA experience is starting to lag.A game thats been good so long is starting to stale,as evident by a Season Showdown feature no one is really stoked about.

Bottom line is competition breeds good results,but as long as the NFL,NCAA,and EA keep caring about dollars,we will all suffer,so there's no sympathy from me when EA gets bashed for what they put out:they dug this hole they're in.....
Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #53
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGiaNTS25
if we the people purchasing the game dont question, who will??
I'm not saying don't ask him questions. That's the whole reason he's here is to entertain questions and gather idea from what the people want.

Perhaps "sit here and question" was the wrong phrasing.

It should have read "sit here and dispute."

Twitch Stream
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #54
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
do you have reading issues? he said formation subs takes 300-500 not season showdown

Clearly you do. I never said Season Showdown took 300-500 hours. I said "If Season Showdown...".

Formation Subs clearly crosses and would effect more people than Team Builder and Season Showdown. To leave this out is disrespectful to people that buy NCAA when Madden already has it.

It is crystal clear that the NCAA team really doesn't care about the NCAA consumer. They are concerned with sales numbers only. I hope that the people who pre-ordered NCAA cancel their pre-orders. I hope people boycott NCAA this year because low sales is the only thing that will change the direction of NCAA and the team developing it. By purchasing NCAA you are just giving EA a crutch to stand on.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #55
We had subs. It was crazy

MBFranchise's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hitter
Clearly you do. I never said Season Showdown took 300-500 hours. I said "If Season Showdown...".

Formation Subs clearly crosses and would effect more people than Team Builder and Season Showdown. To leave this out is disrespectful to people that buy NCAA when Madden already has it.

It is crystal clear that the NCAA team really doesn't care about the NCAA consumer. They are concerned with sales numbers only. I hope that the people who pre-ordered NCAA cancel their pre-orders. I hope people boycott NCAA this year because low sales is the only thing that will change the direction of NCAA and the team developing it. By purchasing NCAA you are just giving EA a crutch to stand on.
IMO, formation subs will not even come close to affecting as many people as team builder or SS. Just because it is in the game does not mean the casual fan will use it. Remember, casual fans will make up the vast majority of players. They will use TB and SS but likely skip formation subs. EA recognizes this, why can't you?

That being said, would I like formation subs to be in the game? Of course. I want the game to be as sim as possible, but you have to recognize EA wants to sell games, and it is very likely TB and SS will sell more games than formation subs.

Its business common sense.

I feel like all of these boards are having the same conversation. Some people don't understand the point of making video games is making money. To do that you sell copies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #56
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Seriously heavy_hitter, you are exagerating the desire for formation subs. The casual fan probably doesn't care. Not even everyone on OS cares about it. I'd like it but me buying the game isn't influenced by formation subs being included or not. Many people will be buying the game because of Teambuilder (although I won't use that either).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »