Home

Illustrated guide to why NCAA 10 will be broken yet again...

This is a discussion on Illustrated guide to why NCAA 10 will be broken yet again... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Illustrated guide to why NCAA 10 will be broken yet again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
Is everyone suffering amnesia? That same stuff gets said every single year! I am basing this thread (and all of the points in it) on past experiences with NCAA 07, 08, 09 and prior releases on other generations of hardware, as well as video evidence on EA's website showing NCAA 10 gameplay footage...how is that jumping the gun or being premature at all?

Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me. Its been years since anyone should be fooled and yet its an annual occurrence that someone will say "there's still time before the game releases".

I am not talking about minor tuning issues here...these are gaping fundamental holes in the game design and I guarantee that they are going to be part and parcel of the finished product.
Yes Moostache, they are facing amnesia but it's selective amnesia. They are remembering the fun they have had at some point with the game (probably on last-gen) but forgetting the huge amount of frustration with the things that you posted, especially the online play and how it works.

They are choosing to remember the fun about now because it's easier to delude yourself into thinking that this year is the year the game will provide a lot more of it, regardless of whether or not anything actually indicates that to be true or not. It's basically a form of preserving your hope in a desperate fashion more than anything else IMO.

Great job on breaking down the basics of why the game is still going to be a lot of the same ol' crap and hence my thread pondering giving up on the series.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

Last edited by ODogg; 05-26-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #42
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I disagree. I like it more zoomed out. I used to even use the blimp camera back in the day.

I think the better thing to ask is for camera options including a zoom option.
To have a true player lock would be to have a 1st person camera ala a shooter but that would be disorienting in a sports game I think.

They need to find that balance or like others have said, give a zoom in/out camera slider.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 9

This thread is *NOT* a waste of time. This is exactly the sort of productive criticism you want. Rather than just saying, "Gameplay still sucks" or "the game still has problems look at the screens!" the op breaks each play down. I actually learned something.

I'm not usually as critical of the games as OP is, but he did his homework and presented what still needs work, even though it's just from gameplay screen shots.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #44
Rookie

floridagatorfan's Arena

OVR: 5

I agree with a lot of what you put in the post however I am not going to call the pocket in this game broken until I have played the finished product.

The video that was used for this could have been on a very low difficulty level, like rookie and I know Ian Cummings stated with Madden that on Rookie and Pro difficulty levels you could probably still get away with rolling out of the pocket often, but not as likely with the higher difficulty levels. This remains to be seen if this is how it is implemented though.

As for the player momentum, this has always been a problem and needs a complete overhaul next year.

I will be waiting till after the release though before I say the game is broken, instead of jumping to conclusions from crappy gameplay clips that we have no clue where they are in development. If impressions are posted of it not being very good then I will probably just pass on this game and wait for Madden.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 4

Great post. I feel that these two things, along with a couple others (game plays too fast, etc.) really ruin the game for me and a lot of other people looking for a realistic on-field football experience. Without changes to the way the game is played on the field, NCAA will never be a great game or even a good game, no matter how many things other potentially cool and useful features, like teambuilder, are added.

Overall, this was a great post and a way to specifically show what is wrong with the game and how it should be fixed. Unfortunately, there are people who do not feel this way and I wouldn't be surprised if this thread was locked soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #46
Pro

AC IS ART's Arena

OVR: 15

Great post Moostache. I'm not going to pass final judgement yet on whether this game is still broken, but I haven't seen anything (text updates for 10' don't count) to prove otherwise.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yes Moostache, they are facing amnesia but it's selective amnesia. They are remembering the fun they have had at some point with the game (probably on last-gen) but forgetting the huge amount of frustration with the things that you posted, especially the online play and how it works.

They are choosing to remember the fun about now because it's easier to delude yourself into thinking that this year is the year the game will provide a lot more of it, regardless of whether or not anything actually indicates that to be true or not. It's basically a form of preserving your hope in a desperate fashion more than anything else IMO.

Great job on breaking down the basics of why the game is still going to be a lot of the same ol' crap and hence my thread pondering giving up on the series.
Not selective amnesia for me. I think 09 is a blast to play. I just started a new franchise just the other day as a matter of fact
Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #48
stewaat

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
I agree. I went to OU, therefore, I will use OU first, then follow on with other teams I like. More than likely, I will never use a created team. Ever. No need to, for me.

But I can understand that the person who went to Wichita St. wants to use their team. That's cool with me.

I just wish we coulda got the other stuff like formation subs back in the game.
I went to Notre Dame and I might not play one game with the Irish. Obviously they are my football team but I don't need to proclaim my loyalty by using them in a video game. I'm gonna use teambuilder to have fun with the game, I'll let the real players determine the outcomes.

If I play with Notre Dame I would hate losing too much to play with them. When I use another team I won't be upset if I lose. I know it's a video game but I don't like to take my team and lose with them.

For the record I don't want to win every game, and I like to make sliders difficult.

BTW Moostache I agree with your points. However I'm not a "the game needs to be perfect in every aspect" person. Not that you are but I personally don't spend time ripping apart screens of a game to point out the flaws. The game is gonna have flaws, but I have found a way to not worry about them to the point where it ruins my enjoyment of the game.

Last year almost broke me down though!

Last edited by stewaat; 05-26-2009 at 11:15 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »