Home

Why Not Develop on The PS3?

This is a discussion on Why Not Develop on The PS3? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Why Not Develop on The PS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
once again memory does not = disc space. i never said Blu-ray couldn't hold more data than DVD. I know it can hold more.

and how would developing on the PS3 fix the disc space issue on the 360? they will never make 2 separate games for the PS3/360. they'll likely keep developing the game on the majority system that sells more for their games, which right now is the 360.
I'm not talking about internal memory.

It wouldn't be two seperate games. They'd simply develop the game on the PS3 and port it over, compress it, and throw it on two disk for the 360. Same game.

I still don't understand what install base has to do with which system the game is developed on? If one system is capable of producing a better product than what we're getting now, then why not change which system it's developed on?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
Because 360 owners wouldn't want a 2 disc game and you don't' crap on the group buying more of your games.
I'm sure 360 owners, myself included, wouldn't be offended if EA put NCAA on 2 disk if doing so would produce a better game. It has nothing to do with "crapping" on anyone.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Rookie

yanek27's Arena

OVR: 2

I bought a PS3 for what it can do and I thought it was made better. I didnt buy a PS3 so I could get the same games as the 360. I have been hearing how the 360 is getting maxed out what it can do for a game so now PS3 owners have to suffer. So NCAA 11 will max out what it can do on the 360 but PS3 just basically get what the 360 can hold. I should have just bought a 360 I guess. Its funny though because on Fight Night and other games 360 owners have more custom options whereas the PS3 just have that part left out. I mean I have the show and I can import custom music but not on any other game that is made for both the 360 and PS3. So if you can do it for one system why cant you have a few extra things for another. No reason why you cannot import 120 teams in a dynasty for the PS3 just because Xbox cannot hold the memory. Politics at its best I guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common
I'm sure 360 owners, myself included, wouldn't be offended if EA put NCAA on 2 disk if doing so would produce a better game. It has nothing to do with "crapping" on anyone.
And how do you suggest this two disk would work on the 360? Force people to install 8-9 GB off the first disk and play off disk two like alot of PC games do? well goodbye arcade owners or anyone else who doesn't want to spend 9GB of their 14GB free gb of the 20 gb HD.

BTW- plenty of good games fit on one dvd and plenty of crap games are on the blu ray and vice versa. The game doesn't need more disk space to be better, its needs better coding.

Last edited by dkrause1971; 07-03-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanek27
I bought a PS3 for what it can do and I thought it was made better. I didnt buy a PS3 so I could get the same games as the 360. I have been hearing how the 360 is getting maxed out what it can do for a game so now PS3 owners have to suffer. So NCAA 11 will max out what it can do on the 360 but PS3 just basically get what the 360 can hold. I should have just bought a 360 I guess. Its funny though because on Fight Night and other games 360 owners have more custom options whereas the PS3 just have that part left out. I mean I have the show and I can import custom music but not on any other game that is made for both the 360 and PS3. So if you can do it for one system why cant you have a few extra things for another. No reason why you cannot import 120 teams in a dynasty for the PS3 just because Xbox cannot hold the memory. Politics at its best I guess.
That's what I fail to understand. First party Ps3 titles? Stellar games. Often times amongst some of the highest rated games on the market, and really give us an idea on what the Ps3 is capable of. The issue with multi platform games is they're devloped on the 360 and ported over to the Ps3. They aren't optimized for the Ps3 thus they're often of lesser quality.

Let's take sports titles for example. Madden, NCAA, Live, etc? All mediocre games on the 360 and sometimes even worse on the Ps3. The Show? By far the best game on it's genre, and it isn't even close.

Just develop the games on the Ps3 and port over.... it seems like the best thing to do.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
And how do you suggest this two disk would work on the 360? Force people to install 8-9 GB off the first disk and play off disk two like alot of PC games do? well goodbye arcade owners or anyone else who doesn't want to spend 9GB of their 14GB free gb of the 20 gb HD.

BTW- plenty of good games fit on one dvd and plenty of crap games are on the blu ray and vice versa. The game doesn't need more disk space to be better, its needs better coding.
Um... yes. Install the game on your HD. At this point, those who don't have HD's need to get one. It's way overdue.

Tell me exactly which first party Ps3 titles were "crap" games?

Actually, according to the devs, the have plenty of issues with memory. Supposedly they can't fit gear(just an example) into the game if they're going to include stadiums or vice versa. Or throw backs take up too much disk space, etc, etc. If the game were developed on the Ps3 these issues wouldn't be issues.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common
Actually, according to the devs, the have plenty of issues with memory. Supposedly they can't fit gear(just an example) into the game if they're going to include stadiums or vice versa. Or throw backs take up too much disk space, etc, etc. If the game were developed on the Ps3 these issues wouldn't be issues.
yes memory, not disc space. art, among other things, has to be loaded into memory(RAM) when you play a game. if it hits the max amount that is available on the system, you can't load anymore, they'll have to optimized better or cut something in order to get more things on-screen. when most devs(or any programmer) mentions memory, its not disc space, they mean system memory(RAM).

I've never seen a dev say they couldn't do throwback uniforms because of disc space, it's just a time issue where they don't have the dev time to make them. pretty much the same thing with the equipment, they didn't add much if any this year, not because of disc space, but because they didnt have time to make any.

and how would developing on the PS3 solve the disc space issue on the 360. if your just using that to say the 360 should use 2 disc, they can still do that the way they are developing now, so that excuse doesn't mean much.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here

Last edited by Solidice; 07-03-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
yes memory, not disc space. art, among other things, has to be loaded into memory(RAM) when you play a game. if it hits the max amount that is available on the system, you can't load anymore, they'll have to optimized better or cut something in order to get more things on-screen. when most devs(or any programmer) mentions memory, its not disc space, they mean system memory(RAM).

I've never seen a dev say they couldn't do throwback uniforms because of disc space, it's just a time issue where they don't have the dev time to make them. pretty much the same thing with the equipment, they didn't add much if any this year, not because of disc space, but because they didnt have time to make any.

and how would developing on the PS3 solve the disc space issue on the 360. if your just using that to say the 360 should use 2 disc, they can still do that the way they are developing now, so that excuse doesn't mean much.
Then I'm curious, because honestly, I don't know. How in the world were The Show devs able to cram so much detail into their game without having the same memory issues NCAA/Madden devs have? It confuses me, especially since according to you the 360 has more internal memory.

According to Adam, it had a lot to do with memory. Something to the effect of they chose stadiums over gear or something. I could be wrong though.

I dunno, all I know is that the PS3 has proven it can support a stellar and unparalleled sports gaming experience and for reasons unknown to us, the 360 hasn't. So why not just develop NCAA and Madden on the Ps3?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »