Home

More on sam keller and the lawsuit

This is a discussion on More on sam keller and the lawsuit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: More on sam keller and the lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasysportsguy
I bet you're a blast at parties.
lol, i thought the same thing man when i read that

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 6

i just had to come back and commend doom41 I honestly did not think about that aspect in regards to choosing to pay for it and schools getting all the good recruits and i agree that is not fair but you will not be able to convince me that a student athlete should not even get a stipend of some sort that is equal across the board for all athletes That just won't happen
Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
You guys keep on saying free education, but again there is nothing for free. They earned it and they pay for it by playing sports at the school. It is like working a job, except that job is that persons sport. Which train year round
Well there's some nice warped reasoning for you. Brilliant! (not)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #60
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasysportsguy
I bet you're a blast at parties.
LMAO
Old 07-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #61
Pro

OVR: 16

Ok Sauk, number 1, your not fooling anyone. Got it, Mr. Sam Keller?

Anyway, what the hell dude? They work? Yeah for what 3 or more hours a day for March/April and then August, September, October and November, and maybe December and January. Still, I dont consider that working. They are PLAYING a SPORT that they LOVE to death for a while each year. They may hate the running part. But I guarantee you, everything else they love. Except for maybe you, the guy who didnt feel like doing anything and still feel he should start at everything even though you sucked. Heres a freaking hint now Sam, learn to get up off your *** and actually work before its too late.

I hardly consider any of that work. I call work doing something from 9-5 every day and you just count down the hours until you can leave and go home.

Anyway, get away from that aspect of it, I am sure that 9 out of 10 student athletes can care less that their likeness is in a game and there not getting profit. Actually, they are, when you think about it. Its coming in the form of publicity and popularity.

NCAAB: Cincinnati Bearcats
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: New York Knicks

"Those Who Stay Will Be CHAMPIONS"-Bo Schembechler-R.I.P.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 4

Every University in the country makes a profit off each and every student. Grants are won by the work of students in that field. Federal dollars given based off performance of the students in the classroom. There are other numerous examples that could be given of institutions profiting off the success of their students. Only the very best, a small majority of these students get compensation that comes close to comparing to what a member of the football or men's basketball team gets. They don't just get a scholarship. They get:

1) Room and board
2) Books
3) Equipment for their sport (and before you say anything, baseball, tennis, track, and other sports the students buy their own gear)
4) Clothing in the form of work-out gear, jackets, hoodies, t-shirts and other stuff (and granted, they get stuff with the school logo splattered all over it, but it's still a benefit)
5) Bowl game perks such as PS3's, Blu-ray players,etc. Only rule here is that the cost can't exceed $400. Baseball players that get to the CWS don't get post-season perks.

So before guys like Keller and others get on their high-horse, they need to explain why they are so special when Mr. Genetics major gets no more than his name printed on the abstract. Explain why he should be treated better than the starting pitcher on LSU's championship baseball team. And don't say it's what he brings in, because at a major research institution they will be pulling in more $$$ off of the work of those students than athletes.

And out in the real world, my company is not compensating me anywhere near what they are pulling in off my name and/or performance. I'm sure that is the same for virtually every working person in America.

Last edited by utahman19; 07-10-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
And out in the real world, my company is not compensating me anywhere near what they are pulling in off my name and/or performance. I'm sure that is the same for virtually every working person in America.
Not only is it the same. It is the whole idea of a business, TO MAKE MONEY. If a company were to only bring in the amount that they paid out there would be no reason to stay in business.

However, most company's give raises/bonuses as the company becomes more profitable. The NCAA doesn't do this with student athletes, and that is why I think that Sam Keller at least has a chance in this lawsuit.

Remeber he is suing the NCAA too, and that makes this lawsuit about much more than just a video game. Just because he signed a release doesn't mean that a court can't determine that the release is not valid. A judge could very easily determine that the release that the NCAA forces athletes to sign (saying that the athlete can not profit from their own likeness while the NCAA does profit from the athletes likeness) is not a valid agreement.

I'm not saying this will happen, but to the best of my knowledge no one has ever chelenged the NCAA on this, and this could be the case that sets the legal presedent, one way or the other.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #64
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
Every University in the country makes a profit off each and every student. Grants are won by the work of students in that field. Federal dollars given based off performance of the students in the classroom. There are other numerous examples that could be given of institutions profiting off the success of their students. Only the very best, a small majority of these students get compensation that comes close to comparing to what a member of the football or men's basketball team gets. They don't just get a scholarship. They get:

1) Room and board
2) Books
3) Equipment for their sport (and before you say anything, baseball, tennis, track, and other sports the students buy their own gear)
4) Clothing in the form of work-out gear, jackets, hoodies, t-shirts and other stuff (and granted, they get stuff with the school logo splattered all over it, but it's still a benefit)
5) Bowl game perks such as PS3's, Blu-ray players,etc. Only rule here is that the cost can't exceed $400. Baseball players that get to the CWS don't get post-season perks.

So before guys like Keller and others get on their high-horse, they need to explain why they are so special when Mr. Genetics major gets no more than his name printed on the abstract. Explain why he should be treated better than the starting pitcher on LSU's championship baseball team. And don't say it's what he brings in, because at a major research institution they will be pulling in more $$$ off of the work of those students than athletes.

very well written post and a sign of what the lawyers for EA will be bringing. i'm an engineer for verizon wireless. do you think that the ideas I come up with for the telecom industry is something i can claim as my own when i'm working for them? no. it's no different than the athletes who work for the NCAA. they are geting paid with their scholarships.

most NCAA athletes are overpaid in regards to who comes out to see them and the revenue they bring in, yet they still get their scholarship. do you think many folks come out to see the 2nd short stop for the texas longhorns? HELL NO. A very select few are underpaid, like colt mccoy or terrel pryor but they are the vast MINORITY. the irony is that those are the guys who will make millions in the NFL and the very least who should complain.

Sam Keller is only looking for a payday. he is taking a subject in which there has been a lot of debate and trying to use it for his own personal gain. He does not have a very valid point overall and the case will go nowhere.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

Last edited by ODogg; 07-11-2009 at 01:15 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »