Home

More on sam keller and the lawsuit

This is a discussion on More on sam keller and the lawsuit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #65
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: More on sam keller and the lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
NCAA players do get compensated twofold. One, they get a free ride to a diploma from a higher institute of learning. Two, they get a stage in which to audition for some of the highest paid labor jobs in the world.

Is it fair the NCAA and EA makes millions and it doesn't trickle down to the players? Not really but since the players are already getting a clear advantage in life by partaking of the system one can hardly say they are victims.

The article mentions Tebow and the comparisons. His hometown being wrong is a great example of what EA has no doubt built-in to potentially quash any lawsuits like this. Just enough errors to show that while there is likeness there it isn't 100%.

As I've stated before, the fact that the NCAA can sell jerseys of #2 like crazy for the Buckeyes and not give Pryor a dime is proof that they will never lose a lawsuit like this. When you go to a Bucks game and everyone and their brother is wearing #2 we all know it is Pryor's jersey but legally it's just a number. That is no different for the video game. We all know it's Tebow but EA doesn't ship it with it saying it's Tebow so it's not Tebow.

FAIL.
If EA and the NCAA printed this and read it in court, they couldn't lose.

BRILLIANT post.

And, SamAUKeller, you can stop hiding and just come out. We aren't idiots. Your post about living on scholarship money completely blew any shred of cover left.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
All NCAA athletes are required to sign a release their freshman year that says the NCAA can use their likeness, but if I remember correct, it doesn't say anything about using it for profit for the NCAA or school. I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I signed my release, but I read through all of it and don't remember seeing anything saying that the NCAA or any particular school could profit from your likeness.

I don't know what this would mean for these cases, but it will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out

When I signed my letter of intent in 1991 with the University of Washington I do not recall my scholarship indicating that NCAA can use my likeness. And yes I did play from 1991 to 1995 and was drafted by the Buffalo Bills and then played 2 years with the Indianapolis Colts 1996-1998. But anyways the NCAA makes so much money off student athletes it's not even funny. For those that claim that the University pays for my education. This is true. But believe me the money that the athletes generate don't even compare to the scholarship. As a matter of fact the money that the athletic programs generate helps other programs in the universities and pays for various other programs. All I know is that I loved playing with me in the game but if I could have been compensated for it while I was in college hell yeah I would accept the proceeds. Now I did receive a royalty check while I was in the NFL. I believe it was $3500 back in 1996. Anyways I student/athletes generate so much money for their various universities it ain't even comparable. If they can get money out of the deal then I'm all for it.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:21 AM   #67
Rookie

twigstudios's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
NCAA players do get compensated twofold. One, they get a free ride to a diploma from a higher institute of learning. Two, they get a stage in which to audition for some of the highest paid labor jobs in the world.

Is it fair the NCAA and EA makes millions and it doesn't trickle down to the players? Not really but since the players are already getting a clear advantage in life by partaking of the system one can hardly say they are victims.

The article mentions Tebow and the comparisons. His hometown being wrong is a great example of what EA has no doubt built-in to potentially quash any lawsuits like this. Just enough errors to show that while there is likeness there it isn't 100%.

As I've stated before, the fact that the NCAA can sell jerseys of #2 like crazy for the Buckeyes and not give Pryor a dime is proof that they will never lose a lawsuit like this. When you go to a Bucks game and everyone and their brother is wearing #2 we all know it is Pryor's jersey but legally it's just a number. That is no different for the video game. We all know it's Tebow but EA doesn't ship it with it saying it's Tebow so it's not Tebow.

FAIL.
AMEN! WELL SAID! GREAT EXAMPLE!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg
When I signed my letter of intent in 1991 with the University of Washington I do not recall my scholarship indicating that NCAA can use my likeness. And yes I did play from 1991 to 1995 and was drafted by the Buffalo Bills and then played 2 years with the Indianapolis Colts 1996-1998. But anyways the NCAA makes so much money off student athletes it's not even funny. For those that claim that the University pays for my education. This is true. But believe me the money that the athletes generate don't even compare to the scholarship. As a matter of fact the money that the athletic programs generate helps other programs in the universities and pays for various other programs. All I know is that I loved playing with me in the game but if I could have been compensated for it while I was in college hell yeah I would accept the proceeds. Now I did receive a royalty check while I was in the NFL. I believe it was $3500 back in 1996. Anyways I student/athletes generate so much money for their various universities it ain't even comparable. If they can get money out of the deal then I'm all for it.
Come on, seriously?

In 2008, Texas' athletics department budget was $100 million. The operating budget of the University was $2 billion. That makes the AD 5% of the total operation budget of the university.

Universities would be fine financially without athletics.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:43 AM   #69
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
Yeah but did you put your body on the line every day like they did? In football there is a chance of a career or life alternating event every single time they snap it up...So no your experience is not even close to them unless you worked as a policeman, fireman, etc..

Just to give you an idea of my schedule when I was in school and playing...

Mat drills in the spring from 5am till 7am

School from 8am to around 12pm, lifting from 1pm or so till 3pm, then film work or studying.

In season it was school from 8am till around 12pm, meetings at 1pm till 2:30, 3pm, practice for 2 hours or so, watching film till 8pm at night.

Summer was really the only time we had a break, and even then it was either working out in the morning or afternoon (they split us up) school and then throwing at night time in the stadium where the coaches were not allowed (wink wink)

You guys act like these guys just sit in gold tubs all day long sipping champagne! lol It is hard work year 'round these days.
I Wrestled in College and our schedule was a lot more labor intensive than this. I can tell you that the majority of DI Wrestlers work just as hard and as a whole get better grades than the average football player. So they should be compensated more than football players in your opinion? Since it's all about who works the hardest right? You have to earn it right?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
I Wrestled in College and our schedule was a lot more labor intensive than this. I can tell you that the majority of DI Wrestlers work just as hard and as a whole get better grades than the average football player. So they should be compensated more than football players in your opinion? Since it's all about who works the hardest right? You have to earn it right?

Actually I never said because you work hard you should be paid, I said they are using his likeness and should be paid.

Read and comprehend, it really does help.

As for Sauk=Sam Keller, yeah that makes sense! Search Matthew Sauk and you will find me. I do not hide. If I were Sam I would be proud of myself standing up to the mob, I mean NCAA.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Actually I never said because you work hard you should be paid, I said they are using his likeness and should be paid.

As for Sauk=Sam Keller, yeah that makes sense! Search Matthew Sauk and you will find me. I do not hide. If I were Sam I would be proud of myself standing up to the mob, I mean NCAA.
Yeah, they're so terrible, the NCAA, giving away a free education for guys willing to chase around a football on a field.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #72
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

No actually that was half of your argument. The other half was being compensated for how much money the schools and NCAA made off of them. You really have no ground to stand on and you aren't convincing anybody.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »