Home

EA Locker Rumor

This is a discussion on EA Locker Rumor within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #137
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: EA Locker Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyhateme459
However that family member is bringing another $3000 + because now people are attending the class who ordinarily wouldn't. The point for decision making purposes you look at actually cost. The actual cost of letting someone sit in is zero dollars because you do not have to add anything additional to what you all ready were doing. Your cost is fixed.
But I thought your class was only for 15 people? So how are you getting $3000 more? Even if they bring in more people, you can still only fit 15 people in your class, so you aren't going to get any extra revenue. And by letting that person sit in, you are actually losing $500 that you could get by charging one extra person to sit in. And in you analogy, the person is already famous. In college football, the school is the one making the person famous.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 AM   #138
Rookie

jolson88's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
But I thought your class was only for 15 people? So how are you getting $3000 more? Even if they bring in more people, you can still only fit 15 people in your class, so you aren't going to get any extra revenue. And by letting that person sit in, you are actually losing $500 that you could get by charging one extra person to sit in. And in you analogy, the person is already famous. In college football, the school is the one making the person famous.
I concur. On the surface it seems like it's "free." But what you have here is the opportunity cost associated with that extra seat. Normally, that seat would be filled by a student that is paying to be there. So in the case of full classes, the university is most definitely losing money by having the seat occupied by somebody who is not paying the university for that class.

However, with classes that aren't full, I agree that it doesn't really cost anything (other than minute variations that aren't large enough to account for: like the extra cost in heating/cooling due to their being an extra body in the building that the university is not being directly compensated for).
Old 06-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #139
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
What???? Nothing looks more cool than a 40 year old man with a spare tire wearing a Troy Smith....er...sorry...a #10 jersey!!
I laughed once when I saw a fat white guy wearing a Mike Vick Falcons jersey lol.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #140
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Schools, especially state schools, have limited space, and every athlete they bring in is a spot the school cannot give to someone else. So by giving the athlete a full ride, they are losing out on the left out student's tuition payment. So while they do not incur extra cost by giving the athlete a scholarship, they do lose revenue, that is recouped by the university with the play on the field.

And let's not forget, this is a full ride scholarship. Let's remember what all this entails. Tuiton, food, living expenses (including, but not limited to rent, power, gas, phone bill, basic clothing, etc). Not many students get a scholarship like that. Students that get financial aid typically have to pay portions of that back, and most will only qualify for so much financial aid. I'm over 25, so I do not have to put my parents on any forms for my financial aid, so I get a lot. I can get more than $5000 a quarter. After my tution and books, that leaves me with about $1000/month, which is approximately what you would make 40 hours a week at minimum wage here in Washington which has one of the highest minimum wages.

Are these kids millionaires? No. But are they being given every opportunity to have success in the future? Absolutely. They are getting an education in football that they can possibly take to the next level and make boat loads of money. They could also use those skills and coach one day if they so chose. They are also recognized now, and many will forever carry that fame and possibly use it to help them get ahead outside of football (You don't think being on a Florida NC team might help you get a job if the guy hiring is a huge Gators fan?). And you are getting everything paid for you, just for playing a game you probably enjoy. And then you are getting a free education from a very good school. If none of that appeals to you, then fine, go play in the Arena League or the CFL and try getting into the NFL in three years.
Great post! You have stated the exact same things that I have been saying for years about these ungrateful, spoiled student athletes. As a person who will be paying off my student loans until I am well in to my grave, it sickens me that these greedy college players actually think they deserve to get paid for playing college athletics. The fact of the matter is this: If you don't like the system, then don't play college sports...period. It's just that easy. No one is forcing any of these clowns to play college athletics, they can go to college and pay their own way or get loans or grants like the rest of us, so that they don't get "used and abused" as they claim they are.

These guys get the run of the campus, women, cars (yes some do), private tutors, etc... and now they want to get paid too? Unreal. Not only that, but as I have stated before (and DonkeyJote did too), once they graduate, all they have to do is say that they played football for Michigan, Miami, FSU, etc... and they have almost instant employment. Those guys have so many connections once they leave the University that the only way they would be unemployed is if they want to be. I find it truly sad that in a world where many people don't have the ability to go to college that these spoiled babies are crying because they aren't getting paid on top of a free education, playing a sport they love, free run of the campus, their pick of the finest women, fame and recognition and most likely instant employment once they graduate.

The bottom line, that nobody can argue with, is simple. If you feel like you are being underpaid/unfairly used/abused for your talents, then quit and find a "regular" payment option like 99% of the other students do. No one is being forced to accept a free education and all of the perks that go along with it, they are more than welcome to struggle their way through college like most us did/do.

Last edited by Illustrator76; 06-07-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #141
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Illustrator brings up a good point, a lot of these guys are such heroes that they are instant stars in their city of their college. Look at Craig Krenzel, he makes a fortune for doing commercials here in Columbus for various products. He barely even played in the NFL. Ditto for a lot of other Ohio State athletes. They are like gods in this city who have everything handed to them on a silver plate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #142
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgovick
They should compensate players, plain and simple. Everyone has been doing their best to make as much money off of these guys as possible. While they see none of it.

If players were to receive a percentage of sales, then Im sure ea would be allowed to continue using player likeness.
I don't believe there is a way to do that unless they had contracts with all of these players individually. Plus, some school may have their own policies on this that may effect things.

This isn't a plain and simple thing. There isn't a college football player union or anything that ties all of the players together in a collective bargaining way.

It is foolish to think EA should have to sign contracts with all of these players for a video game likeness, just ridiculous IMO.

Now, you can't make any drawing, art work, etc. of anyone without paying them for it? What happened to freedom of expression. Maybe the media should have to pay them every time they use their names too.

These college players are getting well paid with the opportunity of a free college education and that is more then enough. If they don't take advantage of that it is their own fault. There are plenty of people who would gladly take their place.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #143
Banned

OVR: 62

Part of a National Letter of Intent (LOI) states that you give the school permission to use your likeness in promotional materials. NCAA games are promotional materials for the school, as such the players and their parents have signed over their likeness to the school. I don't know how Sam Keller's lawsuit hasn't been thrown out yet.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #144
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

That's interesting info Massnole, thanks for sharing..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »