Home

Really hope they fix the playaction on this game

This is a discussion on Really hope they fix the playaction on this game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Really hope they fix the playaction on this game

its simple, if the defense blitzes, you're screwed.

if you make the defense scared of your passing threat they will stop blitzing. i know the opposite of real life but yeah, you want the d to stop blitzing in order for PAs to work in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #26
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty77

I just don't like the whole attitude that if you can't do something then it automatically means there's some fatal flaw in the game.
And you think people like your attitude of saying someone sucks because of their playcall style?

As for my success with playaction, its a crapshoot. I just don't do it anymore. Some of the PA plays in the shotgun formations have the QB stepping FORWARD and into the pass rush. Lol. Those plays are a joke. It seems to happen more often on plays that have a forced preplay motion.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
And you think people like your attitude of saying someone sucks because of their playcall style?
lol. Letting the CPU call the plays for you is not a "playcall style." It's, well, letting the CPU call plays for you. And I said probably.

It's just, yeah, if you're not calling the plays yourself, and the PA calls come up basically at random, then they're not going to be all that successful. If you actually utilize strategy and pick your spots, PA can be effective, but complaining that it "doesn't work" when you're just using it whenever the CPU tells you to doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean, hell, if the CPU made expert calls all the time why would anyone ever call the plays for themselves?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHusker25
If there is anyone here that thinks PA actually works right, I'd like to know what game you're playing. It isn't just about the once or twice you don't get sacked, it is also about the fact that NO ONE bites. Not a single safety is caught looking into the backfield, not a single corner is caught sneaking a peak to cut off a PA stretch/Power O play, not a single DL or LB freezes to make sure the HB doesn't have the ball. So while I have completed PA passes because my WR's just outran their coverage, PA doesn't serve its purpose at all.

Now as a spread team, PA is miserable and just plain useless. There is a simple reason for this, the animation for the PA in shotgun takes your quarterback INTO the line of scrimmage. His shoulders are caught facing the wrong direction, his footwork is wrong and the animation is so slow that any ounce of pressure results in a sack.

I disagree with the bolded. I have seen players bite, I have seen the playaction be succesful
Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofm1508
I disagree with the bolded. I have seen players bite, I have seen the playaction be succesful
What you might have seen was DB's getting beat on their own, independent of the play in the backfield. I have seen defensive linemen freeze in their tracks, only to accelerate like a Corvette and sack the QB anyway.

I have never seen a player in zone freeze or crash, never. Players in man aren't going to bite on PA, they aren't looking into the backfield. Players in zone are all looking into the backfield, those with great awareness and a lot of experience will barely freeze a tenth of a second before identifying play action and going on with their assignment. Young defenders and players with weak awareness are going to be a lot more hesitant on PA.

None of this translates into what EA puts on the field.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
lol. Letting the CPU call the plays for you is not a "playcall style." It's, well, letting the CPU call plays for you. And I said probably.

It's just, yeah, if you're not calling the plays yourself, and the PA calls come up basically at random, then they're not going to be all that successful. If you actually utilize strategy and pick your spots, PA can be effective, but complaining that it "doesn't work" when you're just using it whenever the CPU tells you to doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean, hell, if the CPU made expert calls all the time why would anyone ever call the plays for themselves?
Or it could be the fact play action is broken.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherFan
Or it could be the fact play action is broken.
I've seen PA freeze zone defenders and pass rushers.

Just because they don't all crash the line of scrimmage like morons doesn't mean PA is "broken." IDK, maybe try it on varsity if that's what you want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
I've seen PA freeze zone defenders and pass rushers.

Just because they don't all crash the line of scrimmage like morons doesn't mean PA is "broken." IDK, maybe try it on varsity if that's what you want.
I think you are missing the point, play action as a CONCEPT is broken. The blocking is flawed, the execution is flawed, the fact that you can run 30 times in a row and call a PA pass on play 31 and the defense probably won't crash hard and more importantly the absolutely failure in the design of the PA animations out of EVERY formation make PA a crap shoot.

Try running play action out of the spread, the offense I run. Your QB takes two steps forward and turns his body INTO the pass rush before stepping back. Not only is this the least convincing pass fake animation in the history of EA, but it takes you into the defense which already doesn't bite on the fake. 9 times out of 10 it's a sack, the 10th time you have to force a throw off balance because you don't have time to square your shoulders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »