Home

Am I wrong for being skeptical about the removal of suction blocks/tackles/etc.?

This is a discussion on Am I wrong for being skeptical about the removal of suction blocks/tackles/etc.? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Am I wrong for being skeptical about the removal of suction blocks/tackles/etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
There will always be a little bit of suction with this engine. I don't think there is anyway around it honestly.

Someone stated it yesterday, but even the great NBA2K11 has some suction/warping involved. If it is reduced from previous years of NCAA's, then I will be pleased.
Exactly!

Here's the thing about sports game previews year in, year out: the previewer and/or developer is always going to point to a flaw in the previous version of the game and spout off about how X-new feature is designed to address it. It's the nature of trying to sell you on why this upcoming version is better than the one sitting in your console or on the shelf.

That said, I'm sure locomotion did help the warping/sliding from NCAA 10. It didn't eliminate it, but it sure seemed less noticeable. With NCAA 12, I bet we'll see perhaps even less warping; it won't be eliminated.

I think if you have realistic expectations (that warping has to still exist to some extent), you don't have to be a skeptic.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
Banned

Charleston_Tiger's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Am I wrong for being skeptical about the removal of suction blocks/tackles/etc.?

I put in Backbreaker for the first time in a while just to see how the tackles compared to the videos... It is night and day I really wish EA would step up to the plate with a new engine.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
Pro

IIx Nautica xII's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
True but combine the facts that the people writing these previews (for the most part) spent very little time with the game...(example: OS preview written by a guy who played half a game) and the fact that all these previews sound similar...it's fair to conclude that at least on some level they're just relaying information given to them directly by EA devs. So the gap between what the previewers say and what the EA devs say isn't that far apart.

Also it's tough to pull too many examples since EA's blogs from last year seem to be down, but they have said they improved things that later turned out to not work. One example being the read option.
Many of the people who are writing the reviews are apart of EA's Game Changer program which means that they have spent multiple weeks down at tiburon testing. RynoAid from Traditionsportsonline.com just got back from a 2 week stint down at tiburon and he says that the game is amazing, and the improvements in the game are beyond the norm. He hasn't said anything more than what has been announced, but knowing him, I trust him when he says that the game is going to be great.

If what previewers are saying is the similar to what the developers have said, then maybe it is true.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Exactly!

Here's the thing about sports game previews year in, year out: the previewer and/or developer is always going to point to a flaw in the previous version of the game and spout off about how X-new feature is designed to address it. It's the nature of trying to sell you on why this upcoming version is better than the one sitting in your console or on the shelf.
The issue isn't the previewer pointing to a flaw. The issue is the preview saying the exact same thing two years in a row. It's especially flagrant if you look at the IGN articles.

You can't say that in NCAA 11 "no longer will players get sucked into tackles", then in NCAA 12 say "the days of players suctioning into tackles are over." The latter implies that the suction stuff still happened in NCAA 11 which directly contradicts the statements they made about the game a year earlier.

So it doesn't make much sense for me to put any stock into the preview they wrote last year or the one they wrote this year either. How can I really trust the suction is gone? And further how can I really trust the zone defense is improved? Last year between the time the demo and release patch came out EA had this to say:

Quote:
Pass defense has been greatly improved, both in man and zone coverage assignments. They will do a better job defending crosses, slants, and the flats in man coverage. Also, deep zone assignments have been improved to defend against the deep pass. Like the pass rush, you can further tune this to your liking using AI sliders.
And now here we are again talking about how much better zone D is gonna be and how broken it was in NCAA 11.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 16

Great thread Poop! I agree with everything you said.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

YouTube: TBD
Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
There will always be a little bit of suction with this engine. I don't think there is anyway around it honestly.

Someone stated it yesterday, but even the great NBA2K11 has some suction/warping involved. If it is reduced from previous years of NCAA's, then I will be pleased.
Word. Only sports games that I play are NCAA, Madden, NBA 2K11 and The Show & they all have warping in one way or another. Of course, some games are less than others but, like you said as long as it's less than last year then I will be happy.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
Pro

IIx Nautica xII's Arena

let me correct myself, Ryno was there for 16 days over the last 4 months. I'm pretty sure he played more than half a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »