Home

Realistic Future Conference Re-Alignments?

This is a discussion on Realistic Future Conference Re-Alignments? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Realistic Future Conference Re-Alignments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerg1234
It didn't. From what I've heard, if Texas were to move they'd want to go to a conference with higher academic prestige than the SEC....which is why all we heard about was the Big 10 and the Pac 10
Right...the fact that being in the SEC would make it much more tougher for them to win big each year had nothing to do with it I bet.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #74
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

OVR: 10

I know personally I am going to do the IRL adjustments (2012 Nevada & FS & Hawaii move to MWC, TCU goes to Big East).

After that, I am going to do a slow progression. If ND doesn't make a BCS game for 3 more years (2015) then they join a conference. If the MWC or another conference consistently has their top 3 teams at or above another conference (say Big East) they get an AQ bid. I would like to do a more mathematical model for fitting if a conference should keep or lose their AQ bid, but I have not figured out a solid method yet.

I am thinking average ranking of schools in the conference (if we can still check at the end of the season) + a bonus for best record against top 25 competition (obviously an adjustment to be made for in conference top 25 opponents). Say if the WAC averages the best school rankings + the best record against top 25 competition, then they beat the ACC which had the 5th best school rankings and the 3rd best record against the top 25.

I haven't figured out an exact formula yet, but I am excited about adjusting conference's being AQ or non-AQ, and if a conference doesn't match up but a school does being able to move that school to an AQ conference after 6 or more years of that school being awesome. That is the one thing I am concerned with. How do I judge when say LA Tech has dominated the WAC long enough to bump up to an AQ conference. Obviously if LA Tech owns the WAC then the Sun Belt or C-USA would love to have them, but when is enough enough for LA Tech to bump from WAC to C-USA (not a ratings thing but location location to save expenses) to ACC.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #75
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302
Right...the fact that being in the SEC would make it much more tougher for them to win big each year had nothing to do with it I bet.
its not about wins buddy. you don't see vandy and Kentucky running away from the SEC. its about the pay day baby. nothing else. the last time i heard a school say that they wouldn't go to the SEC was Florida St. in the late 80's when bowden said no way we would never win. but its still up to the school and the school wants that money to put into academics. its all about money. the only money that is not split up equally in the sec is bowl game money. and it think they do split a percentage just not all.

as far as SEC academics go, haha, LSU still uses afermative(i dont even know how to spell that word) action for their players so they only have to make 17 on act. so well academics arent that big a deal unless your vandy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #76
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun
For you conference edit freaks, here's a couple of resources that will help'

Here's a map of all the FBS teams.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...S_map_2011.png

Here's a link to a list of all FBS teams by state and also one that can be re-aligned by conference or alphabetical order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tball_programs

Hope this helps!
good post. i have these on my desktop and look all the time. i had a list of conference requirements somewhere too, ill try and find. things that are required by school to join a conference. ex. stadium size, academics, enrollment and budget.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #77
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
Tampa loves USF. trust me when you have one of the biggest schools in country you have plenty of fans. hell they were ranked number 2 in the nation a few years ago. Vandy and Kentucky won't leave unless the big east goes after Kentucky for basketball but i dont think the sec would let them go. it would be terrible for their academics. GT and Clemson would make alot of sense and even though Virginia Tech is probably the best fit but i don't know what kind of market they would bring. nothing like a florida market. especially south florida which the sec isn't in. don't forget that each conference has many pre requirements that the teams must meet. stadium size for one. most of these realistic proposals im seeing in here are completely over looking simple things like that.
Oh I completely agree that no one is leaving the SEC anytime soon. I also agree that lot of people are only conisdering how good a team is when making their conference changes. Everything revolves around the money.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #78
Pro

bigdfan76's Arena

Good stuff guys! I'm loving this new feature. I've been reading ya'lls ideas and I like some of them.... but I also like some of the logical arguments against some of the realignments. One big drawback is not being able to dissolve or eliminate a conference but there seems to be some good ideas around that. In this article/link down below they state that the Big East is the one "big" conference most likely to dissolve. They say something about the large number of non-football schools in the conference complicates thinngs. Anyway take it for whats it's worth but I figured it was a good read for the fans in this thread. Keep up the good ideas.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/confere...ment-grid/#top
Baylor Bears Iowa Hawkeyes Texas Longhorns

Last edited by bigdfan76; 05-31-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to post the link...lol.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #79
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

I think Big East should look something like:

Louisville
Cinci
Pitt
UConn
'Cuse
USF
Rutgers
WVU

Louisville
Cinci
Pitt
UConn
'Cuse
USF
Rutgers
WVU
TCU

2013 or 2014
Louisville
Cinci
Pitt
UConn
'Cuse
USF
Rutgers
WVU
TCU
UCF
ECU

You could trade ECU out for Memphis, but honestly, Memphis doesn't seem to want to compete in college football. They're not likely to join the Big East by 2014

Outside of that you could add (while pretending Memphis started caring):

Houston - Natural rival to TCU
Memphis - Rival to UL

Then the divisions would break up:

North
Rutgers
UConn
Cinci
Pitt
WVU
ECU

South
Louisville
TCU
Houston
Memphis
USF
UCF

Last edited by Madwolf; 05-31-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #80
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
I think Big East should look something like:

Louisville
Cinci
Pitt
UConn
'Cuse
USF
Rutgers
WVU

Louisville
Cinci
Pitt
UConn
'Cuse
USF
Rutgers
WVU
TCU

2013 or 2014
Louisville
Cinci
Pitt
UConn
'Cuse
USF
Rutgers
WVU
TCU
UCF
ECU

You could trade ECU out for Memphis, but honestly, Memphis doesn't seem to want to compete in college football. They're not likely to join the Big East by 2014

Outside of that you could add (while pretending Memphis started caring):

Houston - Natural rival to TCU
Memphis - Rival to UL

Then the divisions would break up:

North
Rutgers
UConn
Cinci
Pitt
WVU
ECU

South
Louisville
TCU
Houston
Memphis
USF
UCF
I like this. and you make good argument for it. I do think houston will end up in big east and sooner than later. I would however add marshall over memphis. Adds West V.'s rival. also keep utep and smu on radar. big east has mentioned both and they provide two of the biggest markets in country.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »