Home

OS Roundtable: What do you think of the NCAA Football Gameplay Enhancements?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: What do you think of the NCAA Football Gameplay Enhancements? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: OS Roundtable: What do you think of the NCAA Football Gameplay Enhancements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBling19
OL/DL interaction will now be the focus for what needs improvement next. I have a feeling this CAN'T be fixed on this generation of console.

The next console I have a feeling will be able to remedy almost every complaint people have about these games. I get the idea that this system is pretty much tapped out. They are adding in everything possible this year because after this year the brand new consoles will be out.
There are two other football games already on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 (All Pro Football 2K8, Backbreaker) that figured out how to do lineplay reasonably well.

Lineplay is not a console issue. It's a developer issue (EA Tiburon).
Old 04-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #58
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: OS Roundtable: What do you think of the NCAA Football Gameplay Enhancements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
There are two other football games already on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 (All Pro Football 2K8, Backbreaker) that figured out how to do lineplay reasonably well.

J I have to say though that BB is not the best representation either though. APF on the other hand is bar none the best representation of O-line vs D-line
Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #59
Banned

DJACK's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Wrong. The license is exclusive. How do you not know this?
Wrong.....
Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung

exactly my friend.
I think half the battle is educating the masses.
God bless
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisxsong
I have two points to get across.

1) Nobody is holding a gun to your head telling you to buy this game. If you really don't want to spend 60 bucks on it, then go play it at a friends house, or wait a week and buy a used copy at gamestop. Try the game out, if you don't like it then just return it.

I don't get why so many people say "I spent 60 bucks, these guys scammed me". It's not that hard to think of ways to test it out without paying for it.

You can go to a friend who has the game, you can purchase a used copy from gamestop which is always refundable, or you can replay the demo enough times for you to get a feel for the game.

2) There's something that a lot of people don't seem to understand in the world of marketing.

Are a lot of these things that they are bringing out overdue? From a fan's point of view yes. These are basic things that should have been included in the world most realistic sim football game.

HOWEVER, from the developers standpoint, they need something to add every year.

If everybody got their wish and EA added every single thing possible in NCAA 13, who is going to go buy NCAA 14 for a different cover case?

Rosters? Nope. There are people here on OS that would just make new rosters. If there was nothing to improve on, they would lost tons of money.

I'm not saying I enjoy getting these features way later, but I most certainly understand why they stagger these features unlike a lot of 10 year olds on here that cry about how they get scammed 60 bucks because they don't know how to think.
Sigh. You're points are completely irrelevant to the issues I raised. To quickly summarize my points: (a) NCAA 12 was a horribly broken product, more broken than any EA football game to date, myself and many others found it upon release completely unplayable. (b) Many of these improvements are embarrassing to be added on the 8th year of next gen, things like 3, 5, 7 step drops or the much maligned "psychic" defenders. (c) The latest gameplay trailer is ugly to watch. As well, O and D line play is till completely broken on many, many levels.

I will address your points anyway.

1) This is a very dumb argument. The fact that something is testable doesn't change the fact that when purchased it should play as promised. So whether or not I can "try" a copy somewhere (which, by the way, is no guarantee to reveal flaws) when I buy it, it should work. In this case, what EA sold was a beta version - anyone else remember seeing that on the box? I can test drive a car around the block, but what happens if a week later I discover the folding seats don't actually fold and the entertainment system doesn't turn on?

2) This is what we call a "straw man" argument. Just because you've decided to call it "marketing" doesn't change that football basics are just now getting in the game. "From a developers standpoint" there are a plethora of things to add to NCAA/Madden, in fact I would posit that if EA chose to purely to add football essentials we'd still be twenty years from a finished product even ignoring modes like superstar and dynasty/franchise. Perhaps a more appropriate marketing slogan would be: "if its in pee wee football, its in the game - soon". In fact, the lack of improvement in the NCAA/Madden series (particularly NCAA) on next gen has been a very common complaint, reflected most recently in OS articles. You're trying to make an argument from a business standpoint and its both irrelevant to my point (that football basics and much maligned problems are just now getting fixed) and not a sound business practice (a great example is Apple, who are the kings of marketing, while Apple certainly holds improvements back it still sells a product that: has noticeable improvements, addresses consumer issues, and works really, really well).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #62
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
If they would just charge $40 every year for this game and Madden, maybe I could handle the "lipstick on a pig" approach EA seems to take each year. I payed $60 for Madden last year and was completely over it by week 4 of the NFL season. Methinks I'll be Redboxin' that sumbitch this year. How much is that season pass again, $25?
Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #63
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree with some of this, but if EA was putting in extra stuff, fancy things, as in recent years, you'd hear backlash, too. So, with your point, they are darned if they do and darned if they don't.

I agree, this stuff should have been done yesteryear, but there isn't anything we can do to change that.

Even with games like COD, our son was son so disappointed with the changes in the last one, he said, don't get that series again. The 2k hoops forums here were just as loud or louder with 2k 12 issues. And every year, I pop in the MLB Show forums and people are complaining about the incremental upgrades for the last few years.

If these features work as advertised, this could be a good step in the right direction with NCAA, finally, but we will see.

No one was as frustrated as me with NCAA last year. The lack of communication with all the bugs was terrible and lackadaisical.
The point about COD is a good one, that is a series that has gotten lackadaisical. Talk about a series that has done just about nothing over its last few installments. That is a game that is hurt by what has become a yearly development cycle. You could have any one of the more recent versions of that game and have essentially the same thing, I have no idea why people would buy that every year.

I'm a Battlefield guy myself (and was previously a SOCOM guy before that). Tried COD one year and it was fun, but not fun enough to warrant a purchase every year.

I just wish EA would step up, take a risk and revolutionize their game. You're going to get people complaining about something no matter what, that's just how it is, but it seems like NCAA gets attacked from either side because they firmly plant themselves in no mans land in between. Take a stand, take some risks, see if you can't make some noise in the industry. People are going to buy the game regardless, at least try and do something innovative, not spend all this time catching up to football games that are 5-7 years old.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #64
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJACK
Wrong.....
I would love to know where you get your information.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »