Home

Thoughts on Over Signing, Cutting Players and Recruiting in Dynasty Mode

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Over Signing, Cutting Players and Recruiting in Dynasty Mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 3
Thoughts on Over Signing, Cutting Players and Recruiting in Dynasty Mode

I see the first two subjects differently than those who have posted on this board about them. I always over sign because I see the ability to cut players as recognition of the fact while actual college rosters have 85 scholarship players the roster limit in the game is just 70. When I cut players I look at it as if those individuals will thereafter hold the theoretical roster spots of 71 to 85. I assume, maybe incorrectly, that all, if not most, college teams have about 15 players who will never appear in a game some of whom will end up quitting the team, quitting college, transferring or losing their scholarship due to lack of effort or academic reasons. I believe the game makers intended us to look at it this way because they allowed us a maximum of 25 new scholarships per year which matches the reality of college football. Some have posted they only offer the same number of new scholarships as seniors who will be graduating because they want added realism the game. (This reasoning does not account for player transfers. I did this for a time but cut back on call time and scouting time the reflect the proportionally lower scholarship number offered.) Maybe it would be more realistic if the number of new scholarships one offers was equal to the total number of seniors graduating plus 15 to account for our theoretical players who hold roster spots 71 to 85. (This number could then be increased by the number of players transferring up to a maximum number of 25.) It is probably not true that all of the 71 to 85 roster place players would either graduate without every playing in a game or cease to remain with the team for one reason or another but I bet a great many would do so. Can any gamers who played football in college answer this one for us?

This being said, I have to agree with those who have suggested that recruiting is much too easy even on the highest level of difficulty. I am one of those few who enjoy recruiting very much. I suspect it is because most people do not l like it that they fail to put the time in to master it. When you do put the time in it is easily figured out. I have played a good many years in dynasty mode and I always end up with a recruiting class that is much better than I should based upon the team I use and the success I have on the field. I have restarted my dynasty several time as a result of the patch fixes. (Thanks a lot, EA Sports.) My first year I always end up cutting 10 players on the roster in favor of new recruits. This means that the results are not realistic. When I have about the same level of success that my team does in the real world I should usually have about the same quality of recruiting class. I never do.

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 11-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Rookie

erod328's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Thoughts on Over Signing, Cutting Players and Recruiting in Dynasty Mode

although I've been playing and recruiting on NCAA since 2002, (I think, I know Carson Palmer was on the cover and you could build your own team in the game), I've always recruited to fill my alotted 25 schollies. this year is the first year I've decided to recruit to replace who is leaving. Once you build a decent team, you get to a point of cutting guys rated fairly high, who could easily start on the "Little Sisters of the Poor" teams. you also are faced with the computer giving you guys that can also play at that lower level. Once I have who I want, I plan on going to the bottom of the recruiting list, and fill out the rest of my schollies with guys who I know will not play and disappear from the game after the offseason recruiting ends. I say plan because I've never done it before, and this will be the first time trying. I'm hoping it'll make the game a little more competitive in the long run.

BTW, I joke about LSotP, I favor a playoff where all conferences get an autoseed, with wild cards filling in the rest. I feel like I've seen a format just like that, that works in college football somewhere.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by erod328
although I've been playing and recruiting on NCAA since 2002, (I think, I know Carson Palmer was on the cover and you could build your own team in the game), I've always recruited to fill my alotted 25 schollies. this year is the first year I've decided to recruit to replace who is leaving. Once you build a decent team, you get to a point of cutting guys rated fairly high, who could easily start on the "Little Sisters of the Poor" teams. you also are faced with the computer giving you guys that can also play at that lower level. Once I have who I want, I plan on going to the bottom of the recruiting list, and fill out the rest of my schollies with guys who I know will not play and disappear from the game after the offseason recruiting ends. I say plan because I've never done it before, and this will be the first time trying. I'm hoping it'll make the game a little more competitive in the long run.

BTW, I joke about LSotP, I favor a playoff where all conferences get an autoseed, with wild cards filling in the rest. I feel like I've seen a format just like that, that works in college football somewhere.
I like this idea.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Pro

xcrushx's Arena

OVR: 0

I think the transfer logic needs some tweaking. If a player is going to start the next season, then they shouldn't be transferring for playing time. It doesn't make any sense for my redshirt freshman that is getting ready to start to transfer to another school because of playing team. It does make sense for my Junior QB that is 4th on the depth chart and behind younger players. However, in the game these guys never transfer. I end up cutting them and they disappear from the game.

We really need 75 roster spots. Getting down to 75 players isn't hard. It's cutting those 5 additional players that really destroy any depth on the team. I doubt we will ever get full rosters but 75 should be doable.

I'd like to see players become ineligible due to academics or infractions. A discipline rating would be great. A player with a low discipline is more likely to break team rules, fail classes, and commit stupid penalties. It would add an additional element to recruiting. Do you take the more talented player with a lower discipline and risk him getting in trouble or doing something stupid or do you take the less talented player that is more disciplined and less of a risk? Now every player is the perfect example of a student athlete. Just follow college sports and you know that is very far from the reality.
NHL: Washington Capitals
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
MVP

speedy43's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrushx
I'd like to see players become ineligible due to academics or infractions. A discipline rating would be great. A player with a low discipline is more likely to break team rules, fail classes, and commit stupid penalties. It would add an additional element to recruiting. Do you take the more talented player with a lower discipline and risk him getting in trouble or doing something stupid or do you take the less talented player that is more disciplined and less of a risk? Now every player is the perfect example of a student athlete. Just follow college sports and you know that is very far from the reality.
This was in the game for the last gen consoles. The NCAA didn't like it so they made EA take it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Pro

xcrushx's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy43
This was in the game for the last gen consoles. The NCAA didn't like it so they made EA take it out.
That's so stupid. I remember the infractions. I figured it was just one of the things that was lost in the upgrade to the next generation consoles like medical redshirts.
NHL: Washington Capitals
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrushx
That's so stupid. I remember the infractions. I figured it was just one of the things that was lost in the upgrade to the next generation consoles like medical redshirts.
i can understand removing infractions because ncaa didnt like that aspect. but damnit give us medical redshirts and spring game.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
MVP

speedy43's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isura
i can understand removing infractions because ncaa didnt like that aspect. but damnit give us medical redshirts and spring game.
I agree but let's not turn this thread into another wishlist.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »