Home

Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough?

This is a discussion on Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #33
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockOchoGOAT
I completely agree with Ben. 100% COMPLETELY. A fumbled snap would not make the game better, it would just take control out of the users hands. It would make the outcome of games much more about luck than user skill.
I'm sure a lot of people agree with you and Ben based on the game sales.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

Everyone wants a realistic game, but the second a wide receiver drops a few passes they complain. You would get the same thing with bobbled and dropped snaps by punters and field goal holders.

Last edited by AUChase; 07-30-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Rookie

Mick-S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUChase
Everyone wants a realistic game, but the second a wide receiver drops a few passes they complain. You would get the same thing with bobbled and dropped snaps by punters and field goal holders.
but do they really want a realistic game, or is it all about winning.
they have all been brain washed by EAs version of football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #36
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
meh.

tried to imbed the 'Up at Noon' video.

At any rate, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrEqqyRV08Q#at=12

skip to the 9:10 mark
Thanks for the link to the vid.

I hear what he is saying, and to a certain extent I agree but I don't remember the last time I actually blocked a punt. In actual college football blocked punts are rare but they do happen. They have the option to set up for a punt return, to guard against a fake and a full-on punt block.......it would be nice to set up the latter and see it work once in a while.

I think there should be a balance that can be struck where punt blocks and field goal/extra point blocks are very rare but they do happen. If the game is set up so that it never happens so that you don't have angry users out there then take the punt block/extra point block out of the playbook.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
If your LT gets beat you can deal with it by throwing it to a hot route you have. It wont alwasy be open, but it is part of football that allows you to adjust. Muffed punts only happen if you try and start running before the ball has been secured completely on the catch.

I agree that there should be three phases on the game. I have said that in both of my posts in this thread. They need to add A LOT to special teams. However, right now there are two phases. I have won 17 games in a row online, and those were all during the season ticket release days. I am not saying that to brag, but just to point out that defense is very very possible. It is hard, and most people are not good at it so they say that it is not part of the game. In reality, it just takes a scheme that confuses the offense. I want special teams to require at least some of that strategic thought as well.
SMH.

I don't even know where to begin.

I see why you've won 17 in a row online.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
If your LT gets beat you can deal with it by throwing it to a hot route you have. It wont alwasy be open, but it is part of football that allows you to adjust. Muffed punts only happen if you try and start running before the ball has been secured completely on the catch.

I agree that there should be three phases on the game. I have said that in both of my posts in this thread. They need to add A LOT to special teams. However, right now there are two phases. I have won 17 games in a row online, and those were all during the season ticket release days. I am not saying that to brag, but just to point out that defense is very very possible. It is hard, and most people are not good at it so they say that it is not part of the game. In reality, it just takes a scheme that confuses the offense. I want special teams to require at least some of that strategic thought as well.
Nano blitz from the right side. Nano blitz from the left. That's not a "scheme". What's the user skill in that exactly? Being able to look up videos on youtube and hot route players pre snap? We're all very impressed.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #39
Rookie

makmanmu's Arena

OVR: 1

I don’t post here very often, but after reading through this thread today it dawned on me what could be the root of the issues plaguing the NCAA Football Series: They are trying to please too many people. With that I mean that they are tiptoeing the line between simulation and arcade which is why we have the game that we have today. Don’t get me wrong, I love this year’s game, but I think there could be some “sim” additions that would make this game and series even better. Unfortunately, if EA is going to continue the balancing act between arcade and sim we may never see additions of:
  • Bad snaps from center. As it goes right now you can plug any player in at center and not have an issue.
  • Bad snaps on punts (remember those?) and field goals.
  • Realistic number of over-throws and under-throws.
  • Blocked field goals and punts.
  • New penalties – Targeting, Late Hits, Pass Interference that works, Illegal Contact, Defensive Holding, etc.
  • Pile ups on fumbles
I know that not everyone would want this and all in all I would like to see a proper representation of what goes on any given Saturday; the good, the bad, and the ugly. I think my other favorite game (MLB the Show) does just that with baseball and they do not try to be anything other than to fully represent what goes on in baseball.

I understand that my wants may be different from others, but perhaps these types of additions could be made with the ability to turn them off.
With that said, does anyone know if we “sim” players (I’m assuming that almost everyone here at OS considers themselves a sim player) are in the majority or minority? At the end of the day EA is still a business and will try to please as many people as possible to turn a sizable profit.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #40
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

I agree! I think punt and kick returns have gotten a little more realistic this year, but there are never blocked punts or field goals, almost never return touchdowns.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »