Home

Size does not matter

This is a discussion on Size does not matter within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-30-2003, 06:11 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Size does not matter

Last night, I was playing my Toledo dynasty, when Fresno State began their march toward the top. They were ranked 2nd overall. I can't stand Fresno State, I think I hate them more than Ohio State even. I figured that I would mess with them, just for the fun of it, and see what happens.

I made them all 5'5" 160lbs. They lost to #39 Hawaii, then finished the season undefeated and came back even stronger the next year.

Later, I used create-a-prospect to make a Stephen Jackson clone. As a 4 star prestige team (at the time), Jackson was more interested in OSU. Well, he signed with the Bucknuts and started for them from day one, even over Clarett.

So I tried to sabotage him. I made him white, gave him a mullet, made him 5'5" and 400lbs. He was a bowling ball. He would hit the hole and he would be gone. If you tried to tackle him, you bounced off him.

So then I made him 5'5" 160, thinking that at that size, if you hit him hard, he would go flying. Nope. Same as he was.

Then, I thought that maybe if he were 7 feet tall, he would be easier to tackle. Nope.

So Ohio State has a 7'0" 160lb sophomore Heisman winner. Bully for them. Worthless bastards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2003, 06:28 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Size does not matter

LMAO
Old 12-30-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

you need help!
Old 12-30-2003, 11:30 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

This is not anything EA is hiding or whatever, they publically stated that size is for Aesthetic purposes and attribute ratings are what affects the actual physics engine. And that's how it should be because if you went by size then that would mean every small guy would be fast and agile and every big guy would be slow and a pounding-type back and that's not how it is in the real world. How someone looks should not be what makes a player fast or slow.

If you want to make a player less good then edit his ratings, not how he looks, that's just what the ratings are for, that's why they are called ratings.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:40 AM   #5
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well I wish height and weight did matter some. It would enhance recruiting. O-linemen weighing 240 pounds shouldn't be as effective, and a wideout who's 5'6" should be at some disadvantage. Some people have claimed that it makes a difference, but I personally haven't seen it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2003, 01:22 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

HAHAHAHAHA when I first read the title of the thread I thought "I'm sure my girlfriend would have something to say about that"
Old 12-31-2003, 01:34 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

If height and weight don't mean anything, doesn't that mean that EA's entire momentum engine is bogus? Because according to the laws of physics, and objects mass must be taken into account when calculating momentum. Without mass, there is NO momentum.

That's sort of an interesting relevation--that proves that there are no physics involved with their system, and that realism associated with that is false.

I like to call EA's so-called momentum something different--rolling ball physics. Imagine your player as a ball, and try and balance him on a board--there's your player movement model. I don't know about you, but I don't move like a rolling ball--however, if I was a player in NCAA 2004 that's how I'd move on the field. If you doubt me, go play super monkey ball 2 for a while--it's uncanny how the ball moves just a player in NCAA 2004.

Taylor34
Old 12-31-2003, 05:09 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I don't really agree that EA's method is flawed. I can see your point that extreme height or weight should somewhat affect ratings but the bottom line is that yes momentum is calculated but it is not based on the players physical appearance, which is just that, appearance, but their actual ratings. As I stated before, if you were to go by appearance then all big, bulky guys would have to be slow and powerful and all small, skinny dudes would have to be speed backs and that is in no way reality. The way EA does it is ok but they should make the ratings change if you adjust appearance to an extreme is all. For instance if a guys speed is 95 and he's 165 pounds and you make him 250 pounds he'd go down a few points in speed. I know most 250 pounders are not tremendously fast but you always have to acccount for the rare freak ala Jevon Kearse.

Truth be told the current system is more flexible becuase you can make guys that are big and bulky that are speedy, which is uncommon but happens. If ratings were tied to appearance that would have everyone howling that it's not fair, why can't my guy be big and also fast? So EA can't please everyone, I think for the most part most people are happy with the current system as this is the first i've heard of complaints. However as I said I do agree I think it could be tweaked but not to the extent of a complete overhaul and tying attributes so heavily to phyiscal appearance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »