Home

SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games

This is a discussion on SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: SEC Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Another tweet:

Operation Sports ‏@operationsports 2m
RT @ChrisSnr: From @SportsBizMiss -- The Big XII says they haven't yet made a decision on the inclusion of their marks in future games.
It's gonna happen. This game is gonna go away for a reason that isn't sitting well with me.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #50
Pro

Here is the thing. This is a different climate than in the early 90s before licensing and generic teams were used. The video game market wasn't half of what it is now. Let's say SEC member schools at the advice of their president decide to withhold the licensing of their institutions from the game.

EA decides to use a generic Alabama team. Calling them Tuscaloosa, using their colors, slight alterations to their uniforms but still using numbers on the helmet. Slight alteration to the stadium look, What about the school record holders?

Now if players are suing because EA used a generic black skinned avatar with the same height/weight and #. Don't you think the colleges would sue the crap out of them too?

EA would have to go full generic to succeed in making this game. If not they are liable to be sued by a much more formidable foe than Ed O'Bannon's hack team.

I cant wait for this ruling to come down. The headlines will read "Ed O'Bannon destroys college sports for $50,000 judgement."
Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #51
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrushx
Couldn't we end all of this if we just pay the players? It's starting to get a little silly as to how far we are willing to go just to avoid paying players.
If I could like this more than once, I would.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #52
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
I wish painful, not nice events to occur to O'Bannon and Keller.

Thanks for being jackazzes.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #53
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
New to EA's College Football 15 ... Conference Builder. Create, upload and share your custom conference names, logos and insignia.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 5
From a selfish perspective this sucks but from a big picture perspective I'm still on the side of O'Bannon and the others. The NCAA has a long history of taking advantage of the players and for those of you trying to side with the NCAA (mostly because you care about video games) go through the abuses of the NCAA and there is no defending them. The NCAA had this coming, it's their fault not O'Bannon's or any of the players, blaming the players is easy and lazy when the NCAA is really the one at fault. I love this game and don't want to see it go but it's the price we pay for the NCAA's greed and all we can hope for (since the writing seems to be on the wall) is that EA has at least one more game in them and they should man up and make the best possible game they can make, even if it means they release if later than usual. Make a game believing it's your last and go out in a blaze of glory.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
I don’t see how this title survives the lack of authenticity… No SEC even as a name is a huge blow because they’re the current face of college football.. 2K couldn’t survive even with superior gameplay and legends.. This hurts
heh, superior gameplay. That game sucked. I'm sorry but it did.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well since EA pretty much stops development on their NCAA/Madden games MONTHS before release, expect College Football 15 to be terrible. They'll be sitting back this entire year waiting on conferences/teams and whether of not to remove them/make new ones entirely. Who really wants a half-assed game with a real team taking on a fake team?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »