Home

EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

This is a discussion on EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #121

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Again look up the definition of exploitation and tell me it doesn't fit. I can't be responsible if you don't know the definition of a word or how said word makes you feel.

Coaches cash in, AD's, Dean's, trainers, tutors, tv Networks, commentators, sports writers, ground keepers, and up until recently people who worked for EA making NCAA.

What type of person am I exactly? One that speaks out against what I think is wrong even though it doesn't benefit me. I can almost assure you you have no clue what type of person I am if you think I base fairness solely around money.
Exploitation does fit, if you use it in the other sense - "to make use of; to use".

If you're talking about the other way, get outta here with that BS.

Also, it's not hard to find people supporting causes that don't benefit them - doesn't mean they're right. Don't get up on your soapbox and act like you're crusading for justice. Sick and tired of seeing these "woe is me/them" posts about college students.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #122
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
Exploitation does fit, if you use it in the other sense - "to make use of; to use".

Also, it's not hard to find people supporting causes that don't benefit them - doesn't mean they're right. Don't get up on your soapbox and act like you're crusading for justice. Sick and tired of seeing these "woe is me/them" posts about college students.
It's the culture for a lot of people. It's why they usually end up where they do. It's easy to play the victim, even when there's nothing there.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #123
Banned

OVR: 10
You can't blame O'bannon, and Keller for EA not making a game. Lol. All they havr to is keep a helmet on the players vs e, use throwing motions from THE NFLPA contract, and use city names instead of licensed names of the schools. You cantbtelk me they won't save money, and make the game more interesting. Add features for the user to change the names or replace the teams. BUT this tells me EA is lazy and can care less about gaming from the shoes of a consumer, but the profits off naive consumers.

Exp. Teambuilder, Backbreaker, 2K APF,

NES Tecmo Bowl needs to return. Sega messed up sports gaming. I mean when it was electronic arts, they produced good games, but EA got lazy.

I wish Backbreakee would return to consoles and change the camera view.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #124

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

I almost missed this in your post, it's not explained and just randomly thrown in there.

How did Sega mess up sports gaming?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #125
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
First and foremost did your high school prevent you from making money off of your popularity and/or likeness or prevent you from accepting gifts? My point exactly. I recall a one LeBron James inking a 90million dollar deal with Nike while still in HS.

Secondly that's not act like the amount of revenue collected doesn't factor into what is or isn't exploitation.
Actually, yes, the rules of amateur athletics apply to high schools. Upstate New York even has a magazine with the high school athletes, the same way ESPN and SI do with collegiate athletes. They just don't get paid but do give consent simply because most High Schoolers think its freaking awesome to be in a magazine or newspaper.

To the second point of that post, then scale matter? So it isn't the principle alone but only when applied to scale? That weakens the argument in my opinion. It's okay for high schools to use "profitable" programs to support the other programs but not colleges.

Thirdly, you never answered who was being exploited? Is it all student-athletes or is it just the football and men's basketball players?
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #126
Banned

OVR: 10
Quote:
I almost missed this in your post, it's not explained and just randomly thrown in there.

How did Sega mess up sports gaming?
I was running off. I couldnt remember if konami or Sega made Tecmo. But it was NES. Lol.

See what had happened was I misremembered. Yeah that's what happened. And Sega ushered in EA. Right?

Come on ppl. Yall are bi5ching about these ppls lives and how it affected a game. It's not their fault. It's EA blame them.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #127
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:

It funny you support someone questioning my character simply because you agree with his argument. I didn't say my lack of beneficial gain made me right.

Again exploitation is define as making profit without sharing. "Paying" student athletes in an inflated scholarships, gifts and benefits is the same as executive producers paying the talent in cars, jewelry and condos while pocketing the money, rights, and royalties.

This isn't woe is me? I never said college life is awful so again don't put your misconceptions in my post. It doesn't matter what college life is like. For one group to make billions and for another to be paid in gifts and in "potential" is exploitation. No matter how you want to tap dance around it.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-29-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #128
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Not sure where you went to HS, but my HS did and still does.

http://www.wiaawi.org/Schools/Eligib...ulesForms.aspx

Student-athletes are in violation of the members’ amateur status rules if they:

1) ...accept, receive and/or direct to another, reimbursement or award in any form of salary, cash, merchandise of any kind or amount, or share of game or season proceeds for achievement in athletics. A student may not receive such merchandise items as shirts, jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, jerseys, warm-ups, equipment, balls, duffel bags, backpacks, watches, rings, billfolds, coupons, gift certificates, e.g., regardless of their value.
2) ...sign a contract or agreement for services as a participating athlete.
3) ...receive compensation or benefit, directly or indirectly, for the use of name, picture, and/or personal appearance as an athlete. This includes but is not limited to: receiving free and/or reduced rates on equipment, apparel, camps/clinics/instruction and competitive opportunities that are not identical for all other participants. In addition, student-athletes and parents must pay all costs associated with attending camps and/or clinics.
4) ...are identified as an athlete, provides endorsement as an athlete, or appears as an athlete, in the promotion of a commercial/advertisement and/or profit-making event, item, plan or service.
5) ...play in any contest (school or nonschool) under a name other than his/her own name.

Also, do you have a link to all this massive amount of money being made by all these colleges? I'd like to see financial pages of your stated claims or it's all opinion based.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...idies/2142443/

23 of the 228 athletic departments at the NCAA D1 level generated enough money on their own to cover their expenses in 2012. So, 10% of the NCAA D1 schools generated enough money to cover their own expenses.

Please, show me the exploitation! Who is exploiting who with those figures?

This reason is based on logic.
And you continue to ignore what I posted? Fact vs your opinion?

Where is your information coming from that AD departments are making billions and exploiting players?

Sorry this fact doesn't fit your opinion.

When did cars, jewelry, and condos become payments? Those are called perks, bonus's, etc... Actors sign contracts with their agents for movies and they can negotiate royalties, perks and bonuses before the movie. Jack Nicholson took a percentage of the royalties for Batman instead of salary. It's called a signed contract. You are really reaching, now.

You've haven't shown us any proof whatsoever regarding AD departments making billions. And I have shown proof that only 10% of the 228 D1 colleges generated enough money to cover their own expenses.

Last edited by roadman; 09-29-2013 at 09:59 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »