Home

EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

This is a discussion on EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
How much actual money does a scholarship cost a school? Just because they charge 75K a year doesn't mean that's what it cost the school. Whats 200 or so "free rides" to a university that has 25,000 plus students?

Opportunity Cost: 1. The cost of an alternative that must be forgone in order to pursue a certain action. Put another way, the benefits you could have received by taking an alternative action.

By giving that spot to an athlete a paying student must be rejected.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #34
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
I never played D1 sports but have had several very close friends who made it to that level. And also associated with plenty of ballers on campus. and I'm sorry anyone crying about the rigors of playing sports in college and being a campus legend, I DON'T feel your pain. Players are given preferential treatment that regular students only dream about. Tutors, healthcare, free meals, vip treatment. I'm not buying the "my life is soo hard i'm a broke college athlete routine". Everyone i knew grew up middle class or poor. The ppl who got to play sports were lucky they never had to worry about their tuition check bouncing.
Here is the difference many of you are over looking. It isn't luck. These young people have to work hard to earn and maintain that scholarship. They generate insane revenue that the school couldn't have done so in other methods.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #35
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Opportunity Cost: 1. The cost of an alternative that must be forgone in order to pursue a certain action. Put another way, the benefits you could have received by taking an alternative action.

By giving that spot to an athlete a paying student must be rejected.
You can't believe that?

There's no set number. No student is rejected because of a student athlete.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
I'm saying you have no clue what you are talking about and have no room to ask how tough can it be because you have never done it. I played D1 in college. I had scholarships and chose not to accept them. Why would someone do this? Because I played a sport where going pro meant making a couple hundred bucks a game and I knew that if I accepted a scholarship that University could dictate the terms of my scholarship. I get hurt...bye bye scholarship. I want to take challenging classes, only at the approval of the head coach. I don't feel like sacrificing my education for a sport that may or may not be in my future, too bad I'm committed to the team and my education being "paid" for is at their discretion.

You sound like you're reaching for sympathy points. First, you turned down scholarships because you apparently couldn't pick your classes. Then you go on to complain about an athlete's "lifestyle" and how tough it is because of the time commitment? Gimme a break.

So instead I chose a better education that I had to pay for and still had film sessions, lifting, practice marketing commitments, travel and much more that prevented me from having even remotely the college experience that non-athletes get to enjoy. Luckily I chose the way I did because I blew my knee out and would have had my scholarship taken before I was done.

Dude, you and you alone made that decision. Why am I or anyone else supposed to feel sorry for you because you didn't get to drink, tailgate, or hang with friends as much as regular students? And injury is an assumed risk playing sports...

After tearing up my knee and getting to be a regular student my GPA went through the roof and I had time to socialize, attend special lectures and just be a student. None of those things were available as a D1 athlete. So unless you have put in the hours then its pretty ridiculous to ask what's so hard about being a D1 athlete.

Oh cry me a river.. You CHOSE to play! No one forced you to. An injury made you realize this?

So a free education could have only potentially cost me a compromised education, a surgically repaired knee, a surgically repaired elbow and a lifetime of migraines possibly from concussions. You get any of those being an EMPLOYEE of a D1 program?

You alone chose to play. Just you. You knew exactly what type of commitment, risks, and terms of that decision were when you signed on, and here you are trying to act like it was just so unfair that others aren't faced with that reality. You're so very brave for enduring those injuries to realize it wasn't really worth it.
What is with this mentality of players and former players trying to convince others that their life was so terrible in their playing days because they "can't just enjoy the life of a regular student". This is a classic case of having your cake and eating it too, and the underlying problem of all these current athletes wanting to be paid. You can't have it both ways. You signed on to play whatever sport. Not one person forced you to do this, and you even had the resources to have your pick between scholarships and paying for your own education. This isn't a sacrifice - it's a privilege to have that type of option.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
If you have a problem with your college experience you should take that up with the institution not the young people doing their best to navigate the same screwed up system.
We aren't "navigating the same screwed up system" though. One person receives a free ride with perks while the others pay for it. Pretty simple.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #38
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marlowe
You don't seem to understand.

From another thread:

"Amateur status", "education", ect are all just red herrings at the end of the day with respect to this issue. The entire transaction (which is what this really amounts to) is very simple when you're at the levels of competition where the real money made. The player is interested going somewhere to maximize his opportunity to become a professional. The institution is looking for players to help them mantain/attain a successful program and therefore increase revenue generated. "Education" has absolutely nothing to do with what either side is really interested in at this level. But some of you are perfectly ok with colleges using it as some kind of compensation?
For a small percentage of football and basketball players, and an even small amount regarding the entirety of college athletics. The entire purpose of maintaining a collegiate sports team, clubs and other student activity groups is to market the institution to get people to spend their money their. Even for non-profits that is the goal. So yes that is the interest of the University.

For the players on the other hand, only a small few have any opportunity to actually gain anything substantial from their playing careers by going pro or in any other form. Most people who go to college don't give a rats *** about their education; it is a means to an end. They want a career, just like these athletes. The difference is these athletes get free room and board, free meals, a free education, free access to the highest quality physical training and a free opportunity to try to audition for professional athletics. They aren't different than the majority of college students, they are trying to get a job.

To all those who think college players should be paid outright, what do you say to the Gymnastics, Swimming, Track and Field, Cross Country, Wrestling, Field Hockey, Tennis, Rowing, Bowling, Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Women's Basketball, etc, teams that they no longer have a program because the Football and Men's Basketball teams are now hoarding the revenue for themselves.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #39
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
How much actual money does a scholarship cost a school? Just because they charge 75K a year doesn't mean that's what it cost the school. Whats 200 or so "free rides" to a university that has 25,000 plus students?
A lot when you have two kids in college. lol
Old 09-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #40
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
For a small percentage of football and basketball players, and an even small amount regarding the entirety of college athletics. The entire purpose of maintaining a collegiate sports team, clubs and other student activity groups is to market the institution to get people to spend their money their. Even for non-profits that is the goal. So yes that is the interest of the University.

For the players on the other hand, only a small few have any opportunity to actually gain anything substantial from their playing careers by going pro or in any other form. Most people who go to college don't give a rats *** about their education; it is a means to an end. They want a career, just like these athletes. The difference is these athletes get free room and board, free meals, a free education, free access to the highest quality physical training and a free opportunity to try to audition for professional athletics. They aren't different than the majority of college students, they are trying to get a job.

To all those who think college players should be paid outright, what do you say to the Gymnastics, Swimming, Track and Field, Cross Country, Wrestling, Field Hockey, Tennis, Rowing, Bowling, Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Women's Basketball, etc, teams that they no longer have a program because the Football and Men's Basketball teams are now hoarding the revenue for themselves.
The difference is how much of a regular student times and energy goes to generating revenue for the schools and how much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »