Home

Redshirting Question

This is a discussion on Redshirting Question within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Rookie

The Craigler's Arena

OVR: 0
Redshirting Question

I've recently started playing this game again. In the past, I've never redshirted any of my recruits. When I bring up the redshirting screen, some of my players are listed in yellow and some in white. What do these two colors signify? Also, how do you determine who to redshirt? I know this is probably a dumb question. Do you redshirt all incoming freshman that you don't foresee getting playing time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Redshirting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Craigler
I've recently started playing this game again. In the past, I've never redshirted any of my recruits. When I bring up the redshirting screen, some of my players are listed in yellow and some in white. What do these two colors signify? Also, how do you determine who to redshirt? I know this is probably a dumb question. Do you redshirt all incoming freshman that you don't foresee getting playing time?

I think the different colors are there as a way to tell you who has already red-shirted, not sure why they would do that though, when it says Junior (RS) by their name, it's pretty easy to see that he's already been a red-shirt.

As for me, I try to recruit ahead of time... in other words, if my punter is a Junior, I will recruit a punter then, so that I can RS him when my punter is a Senior... and I do the same with kickers, because rarely do those positions come in with much talent... that year of RS helps...

Other positions I will wait until I see their skill set before deciding on if they RS or not. Sometimes, WR's play right away for me... in my pass heavy offense I can play a true Freshman and get him some playing time and receptions/yards/TD's that will help him more than RSing him...

Hope this helps...

Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

OVR: 1

I use the red shirt a ton. If i have a senior or junior in front of them and they are not going to get much playing time iwill red shirt, especially if they are a 3 star or lower recruit. The ones to watch out when red shirting is the 4 star and 5 star guys. They will transfer if they felt they were good enough to start.

Also the yellow colors mean who has been red shirted or means you can't red shirt due to position needs.

I agree with Dr death. I try to get kicker before senior year as well. The worst though is not having a punter or kicker on the roster and having a terrible walk on. Talk about missing extra points and shanking punts, smh.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

If a FR would be in my 2 deep I won't RS him (and this is also a rule in every OD I've been in). The reason for this is because this is what the CPU coaches do and if you allow more lax RSing rules then you're gaining an unfair advantage over the CPU teams. We already have a TON of advantages over the CPU (VASTLY better recruiting, even with house rules, VASTLY better play calling, better game management, etc, etc) that we really don't need another.

By 2 deep I mean 2 at every position that starts, so for a spread offense (like mine) whose base formation is 10 personnel I'd couldn't RS anyone that would be in the depth chart here:
QB - 2
HB - 2 (but I frequently use 2 backs so I go 4 deep here)
TE - 2 (I have a few 12 personnel packages)
WR - 6 (since my base personnel is 10)
OL - 2 (I run a no huddle and frequently have my 2nd team OL on the field as the 1st teamers get tired)

Likewise for my 3-4 I'd have to have this # in my depth chart before I could RS anyone:
DE - 4
DT - 2
OLB - 4
MLB - 4
CB - 4
FS - 2
SS -2
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Rookie

The Craigler's Arena

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. That's why I prefer NCAA FB over Madden. A very dedicated and knowledgeable fan base!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Craigler
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. That's why I prefer NCAA FB over Madden. A very dedicated and knowledgeable fan base!

Red shirting all comes down to the player and his house rules or style of play. Every one has their own way of doing it and there us never a wrong option unless you red shirt every freshman no matter what. Lol. You do that then you might lose about 3 players a year to transfer.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Rookie

I agree with jello1717 on the 2 deep scenerio
Old 07-07-2014, 01:25 AM   #8
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Ideally I want to redshirt every single freshman that comes in. Like others said though, if he is above, at, or very close to the same ovr as the starter then he will likely transfer if you redshirt him. Basically if he thinks he would have gotten a decent amount of playing time he will transfer. So as long as you have 2 guys in front of him in ovr (or like 4/5 at WR or CB) you should be fine with redshirting him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »