Home

Is there any chance a beta copy was published in lieu of a finished product?

This is a discussion on Is there any chance a beta copy was published in lieu of a finished product? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #49

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Is there any chance a beta copy was published in lieu of a finished product?

Your really going overboard, if EA cant release named, accurate rosters and they are always under a time crunch because of the yearly release of the new game, there isnt going to be time for someone to sit down and name every single player on every single team, get a grip. If your enjoyment of the game is determined by the release being perfect for you, then you need to move on to other games or stop gaming altogether. I can understand and appreciate that the bugs and or glitches are annoying to some, but to sit here and call the guy out, start claiming that he stuck his foot in his mouth and its going to be all over the internet is ridiculous and stupid. I think you need to step back and take a look at whats really important in life, and trust me, I love football video games just as much as the next guy but give this OMT guy a break and get off his back already.

EDIT- In regards to your previous post, your not 20/20 or Dateline, your not uncovering some scandal of a story. I love how you word it, its hilarious.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #50
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Is there any chance a beta copy was published in lieu of a finished product?

Highly doubtful that a beta copy got pressed instead of the finished product.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #51
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

this saddens me. Adam is in here trying to give us the process in which the game is tested and how it goes from one build to the other and the processes involved and whats he get? Insulted, disrespected, accused of being a PR, or threatened to post his honest comments across numerous internet message boards.

I am only going to say this once, in regards to those types of posts/comments:

KNOCK IT OFF

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Its not Adam's fault. From his comments, it seems like gameplay is the last thing tested. This is the problem. It needs to be tested first, this is what your program does. EA probably is looking at this as a non issue and wants to test the new features first, then test that most of the other things didn't break because of the new stuff.

Testing is always going to be hard as you can't test a how a football game mimics the NCAA using test scripts. You have to play multiple games focusing on different areas using different teams. Then you have to also keep in mind the user playing style as that matters a lot. Its just too much to ask a small team to test for when they probably don't have time or the knowledge to test it. How do you create test scripts for this? You can't pass a test where the criteria is does it feel right.

I hope Adam is able to bring some change to the development schedule/process that EA uses. At least they are for once making an effort and responding to the users. As a company, there are no excuses for these issues though.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #53
Pro

OVR: 14

Has anyone revisted the demo since the game was released on the 15th? I played a little while ago and I know the kickoff issue did not exist so I really believe that will be an easy fix for these guys. Also the demo felt a little faster and i think I liked it a little better. I also felt the demo was a little less jerky and a little more responsive. MAybe it was just me wishing but I could tell a difference in the game departement. Just curious if anyone else had done this.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #54
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Adam, thanks for the insight as to the production process. Didnt know there were 5 test/QA teams, or whatever you want to call them. When the "football" test team does its work, how do they go about it? Do they play Hum vs Hum? one game? 30 games? Just curious as to how they find bugs and what they look for.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #55
Lurker

bjf1377's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
this saddens me. Adam is in here trying to give us the process in which the game is tested and how it goes from one build to the other and the processes involved and whats he get? Insulted, disrespected, accused of being a PR
No one called him a Puerto Rican

Haha. I respect Adam a ton for being on here and it's a great step in videogaming because they are getting closer to the people who play the games and getting more input
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #56
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott76
OK. Seriously. Time to fess up, bro...
Your "PR Speak" sounds good and all, but please tell us how something as simple as editing teams can cause such game-crashing, team-disappearing issues without being caught by these people doing "12 hours of serious serious testing". This is pathetic for an inde company to have happen, much less Electronic Arts. We deserve an explanation for such sh*tty QA.
Not to excuse the roster edit bug which was probably the worst bug I've seen in the NCAA series.

BUT... it's easy to criticize because even the best QA teams can't catch everything. There were dozens of alpha builds and what you're seeing is one critical bug out of maybe several hundred. We never see the bugs that DID get caught, we only see the ones that didn't. I used to be a software engineer and I can't even begin to fathom the complexity that is involved in a game like this. That may not have been in the testing specs if editing 120 teams was not considered "normal" use of the game. I'm sure it will be for next year but the QA teams I think are given certain things to test and stress and look for. Edit rosters probably wasn't on that list. It should have been, but wasn't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »