Home

No formation subs but wow we have season showdown

This is a discussion on No formation subs but wow we have season showdown within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #49
Rookie

zoltranite's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: No formation subs but wow we have season showdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
but again that requires me to do something after every play where as in last gen I can set it at the beginning of the season and never have to worry about it. i understand it limits the formations they get in, but that just doesn't bother me because i make sure each back gets an equal number of formations and then call a wide range of plays. and if it was a real concern at either the quarter or half way point of the season I could switch up the back assignments so that way they each get time in various formations. the sub out slider doesn't work for me because it's not exact and if I decide to call more pass plays in a particular game than the #1 won't get as tired thus limitiing play time for #2. again for me formation subs is just far superior than formation packages for the way I play.

You do understand that once you select a formation package it stays like that until you lick the r-stick again... meaning you can run all game with your spell in Ace formation if you want. It takes just as much time if not less. Plus you have even more options as far as who you want, when, and where. Say that u have a 2 rb system, and you always have a speed guy at rb in your normal Ace form, and you are about to throw a deep pass out of it and you want to max protect your qb, in 3 seconds without pausing and changing something in the formation subs screen, you can switch to your rb who can block better without game interuption. The only potential drawback is not being able to keep the same rb in a formation while changing around the other guys... and who's to say if they had formation subs that a formation sub would override any formation package change anyway. Is there any game that offers both of these? I guess I will put in NCAA 09 for PS2 and check it out. I guess it would be best if you could set a depth chart for every formation... that way if your get in a 3WR 1TE and 1RB set, you could fool around with the packages all you want and still have the specific formation starter on the field for that formation unless the formation package moves him somewhere else, ex.HB Wideout, or Spell HB.

Any way it goes... just think and Im sure you will see... if you had to choose one over the other, formation packages are way more useful than formation subs because you can choose whether or not you are not stuck with the same guy in on every play out of that formation... but if you wanna be stuck, you still can because you can set your WR at RB and pick a play out of that formation in the first qtr... never touch that formation again until the fourth, and the form package will still be in tact.

And the thing you said about the doing passing plays and your rb's not getting equal time if you set the sub in/out slider. This might rub you the wrong way, but I think you're just trying to disagree with me because you want to be able to complain about formation subs and Im telling you that you can still full run your 2 back system and you just dont want to see how form pkgs and fatigue subs can fix you right up. And honestly, whyw ould you care about backs getting equal time in the passing game? Chances are that 2 back system features a power guy and a scat back. If you are looking for extra pass protection and power back is your 2nd string, then just flick the right stick until he shows up at rb. If there is a good screen play in that same formation, and you wanna run that play next, just flick it back. I am not going to worry about my 2 backs getting equal playing time in the passing game if all they are doing is blocking. Put the guy in who's best at whatever play you are about to run. I wouldnt want to do any formation sub and be limited as far as which plays I can run because my power guy is stuck in this formation. I just think its easier to take the 3 seconds and flick the r-stick and put in whoever is best for the situation... but im about to end this right now by saying this... To each his own.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 29

the only thing I agree with you on is your very last statement, to each his own. I'm really not trying to argue just to argue and this isn't at all a deal breaker for me as my preorder is in and is staying in. believe me I fully understand how each option works, but for me and the way I play formation subs works much better mainly because it doesn't slow me down between plays and allows me to have the exact personnel i want for each play i run.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:43 AM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 1

Let me just say you are making a dumb argument zoltranite. The package feature is like the little bitty baby of formation subs. Formation subs is superior in every single way.

Why wouldn't you want to be able to move any amount of players in any way you want in any formation before the season? It allows for alot of creativity and alot of things you can do scheme wise that the simple package system can't allow.

Why wouldn't you want it? Do you think season showdown is good? Do you like that we aren't getting pro-tak's full implementation? Refs? Chain gang? Carts for injuries? I just don't get why you are defending against formation subs so much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #52
Rookie

BigBlue10989's Arena

OVR: 4

All I know is that when the exclusive rights contract is up, EA is absolutely ****ed. ( for 2K Sports to step up in 2011/2012)
Old 05-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #53
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue10989
All I know is that when the exclusive rights contract is up, EA is absolutely ****ed. ( for 2K Sports to step up in 2011/2012)
They already renewed through 2013 and, anyways, there's no one else on the market that could make a better game right off the bat.

2k already had its chance at a college football game with 2K3 and, from what I hear, it was pretty terrible, and didn't stack up to NCAA 2003 at all, so the 2k college football series was discontinued.

I'm not sure why people think 2K is just going to step up and go into it. It wouldn't be a very smart financial move in going against a long-standing NCAA franchise like EA has. 2K would probably lose a ton of money from it and, thus, they will never do it.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:31 AM   #54
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo9000
Let me just say you are making a dumb argument zoltranite. The package feature is like the little bitty baby of formation subs. Formation subs is superior in every single way.

Why wouldn't you want to be able to move any amount of players in any way you want in any formation before the season? It allows for alot of creativity and alot of things you can do scheme wise that the simple package system can't allow.

Why wouldn't you want it? Do you think season showdown is good? Do you like that we aren't getting pro-tak's full implementation? Refs? Chain gang? Carts for injuries? I just don't get why you are defending against formation subs so much.

Your right here,

let me say this:

The basic logic behind the implementation of substitutions in the game of football itself is a usage of player personal in roles that suit thier skill sets and individual athletic gifts. The absense of formations subs in a game that is supposed to replicate the game of football is far from video game realism and its short comings. And as we all know there are limitations to how effective a game that is played in a computer on a disc can simulate the sport we adore. I feel if formation subs were not something that previous years of this title included, then people would not complain and in essense we would not miss something we never had. But that is not the case, I feel personally that these wish lists on OS and NCAA strategies are more an act in futility and fall on inaudble marketing ears. Formation sub threads have been posted hundreds of times on here and in NCAA strategies. This whole marketing thing has been a buzz kill for me, it is absolutely mind boggling that this needede feature is not in the game agian. I can't wait to here the funny excuse they have for us this time explainig why it was left out, It will cause me to chuckle I am sure. Do the Devs really listen to our concerns?

ONE WORD NOPE, not when it is not marketing material and that is what EA and this game have become. Have any of you played some of EA's other titles? its like walking through walmart or best buy damn constant stimulation from advertising. If they have to use this much gimmick ideas to sell a game they should just stop making it IMO. I cancelled my pre-order today and that is a first. I have had every madden ( all of them since 1990) and all the college footballs since Bill Walsh's, It is sad to see such a good series go this direction.

Last edited by stevedrumsdw; 05-23-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #55
MVP

OVR: 37

I AM SOOOO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!! This is a deal breaker for me. Madden 09 has formation subs... just share the technology! Seriously, enough is enough. It's time to fire the enitre NCAA TIBURON TEAM! In any other field, mediocrity would not be tolerated so what makes gaming any different?

EA has dropped the ball badly on this one and I really hope the people who say they won't buy the game actually follow through this year. This will be the first time in almost a decade I will not be buying NCAA FOOTBALL and it makes me sick to my stomach. EA/Tiburon... you had your chance and you blew it. Now you need to be held accountable for your actions, or perhaps better worded, lack of action. Gamers have told you for several years that FORMATION SUBS are a top priority yet somehome you refuse to listen. How has NCAA FOOTBALL went from the greatest football game in 06 to such a sad state? The consumer deserves a response to this question.

Last edited by JAYMO76; 05-23-2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: sp
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2009, 03:20 AM   #56
Banned

WisconsinSports414's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
I AM SOOOO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!! This is a deal breaker for me. Madden 09 has formation subs... just share the technology! Seriously, enough is enough. It's time to fire the enitre NCAA TIBURON TEAM! In any other field, mediocrity would not be tolerated so what makes gaming any different?

EA has dropped the ball badly on this one and I really hope the people who say they won't buy the game actually follow through this year. This will be the first time in almost a decade I will not be buying NCAA FOOTBALL and it makes me sick to my stomach. EA/Tiburon... you had your chance and you blew it. Now you need to be held accountable for your actions, or perhaps better worded, lack of action. Gamers have told you for several years that FORMATION SUBS are a top priority yet somehome you refuse to listen. How has NCAA FOOTBALL went from the greatest football game in 06 to such a sad state? The consumer deserves a response to this question.
Co-****ing sign. PEOPLE NEED TO READ THE ABOVE POST AND STOP CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »