Home

Power, Speed, or Balanced backs?

This is a discussion on Power, Speed, or Balanced backs? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #17
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Power, Speed, or Balanced backs?

I used to be all about the speed guys until recently. I'm using New Mexico and they have a halfback, James Wright, who is just a beast. He's 6' 242 pounds with 86 speed in his Senior year. He's a guarantee to break the first tackle whether it be a lineman, linbacker, or defensive back. And if I am quick enough with the truck stick, the next defender ends up laying on his back as well. I love the animation(s) in this game where the running back will be hit, but drags the tackler for a few more yards, or where he will stumble ahead for about another 5 yards. It's really awesome to see that kinda thing from my heavy power back and not from my speed guy.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #18
Rookie

TeachMeHowToBucky's Arena

OVR: 2

Anybody who says they dont see a difference and see power backs get knocked back, go use John Clay just once. He is just a horse.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #19
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15

I prefer to have 1 of each and play all 3.

Power for goal line and short yardage.
Speed for shotgun or 3+ wide sets
Balanced for everything else.

In my OD all 3 of my backs had 10+ TDs and ran for over 500 yards.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #20
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3

honestly i have the hardest time in the world finding a running back who can catch the few screen passes i want to do. converted a wr once but he made for a very average at best running back

also the way my current depth chart works out
play 1: power back runs for x yards
play 2: power back runs for x yards
play 3: cpu brings safeties down outside the tackles to do mega 7-8 man blitz on 3rd down just to spite the coaching sliders i put in. speed back runs up the middle for a touchdown x_x
Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #21
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

It's hard to use a power guy in the Franklin system, but I found a big guy on the jets can turn it in behind the tackle(as oppose to 5 yards past him) for an easy 5 yards.

@AdamdotH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

http://miami.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=424786

This guy right here is a beast in my dynasty. He is a 91 OVR Jr(RS) in my dynasty. The guys has speed, power, whatever you want. Easily the best FB I have ever had in any football game.

Right now in my dynasty I have an awesome dual threat QB. Guy's name is Reggie Malloy, 94 OVR So(RS). And since Miami is filled with running backs I run the triple option and spread offense. When running the option my FB can take it to the house any given play. My first touchdown last season was a 50 yard rush by him straight up the middle. He easily gains 5+ yards a carry and usually can break at least one tackle.

― Plato
Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan2009
Speed, speed, speed, and more speed!!!!! I ve never seen a difference in breaking tackles between a good speed back and a big slower back.

I had a fullback that was big, like 242lbs and like 88 speed and he would get knock back all the time.

But then I had a guy that was a speed back 6'2" 205lbs and would get hit and always trigger the animation to fall forward.
this is because the game doesnt take the size of the player as a factor. Their power and driving force is based only on their attributes.

I've seen people take athletes that are 6'1" 210lbs, line them up as DE's and plow over O lineman because their strength is equal to or a little higher then the O lineman.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti_2009
I've seen people take athletes that are 6'1" 210lbs, line them up as DE's and plow over O lineman because their strength is equal to or a little higher then the O lineman.
That is what WVU has done with Bruce Irvin, came in as an OLB and moved to DE. He just plays 3rd down because his run stop is good but he has 12 sacks this year. Averages a sack every 17 downs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »