Home

Am I wrong for being skeptical about the removal of suction blocks/tackles/etc.?

This is a discussion on Am I wrong for being skeptical about the removal of suction blocks/tackles/etc.? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #33
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Am I wrong for being skeptical about the removal of suction blocks/tackles/etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Rule of Thumb!

Not until the game on the shelf is played.

I don't trust Demo's either because there has always been differences with what is put out on shelves compared to the Demo.
(Remember how Stamina slowed players on long runs and had a running animation showcasing there running form changing as they tired in '08 Demo, then boards lit up asking for a fix that has yet to be done to mimmick what the Demo showcased then)

Also, now we got the whole "Patch right after purchase" thing going on now.
So you buy and have to wait/hope that advertised feature gets fixed.
You don't HAVE to buy anything. If you don't have confidence in a video game then either a) wait on the demo or b) rent it first. Doing a blind buy on a game that you're already "down on" is no ones fault but, your own.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 04-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #34
Rookie

drake_33's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Am I wrong for being skeptical about the removal of suction blocks/tackles/etc.?

I don't think it's very hard to be skeptical, but I'm they type of guy that'll buy this game every year regardless of new features. They may have talked about this feature last year, but they've showcased it a lot more this year so I'm confident that it'll be improved a lot more.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #35
MVP

poopoop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Let's put it this way. I would have been more skeptical last week and before with NCAA, but after seeing that second video, it's hard not too say that tackling hasn't been improved.

It's hard to fool with motion seen by your own eyes. Still pictures don't do it for me.
My only issue is that the video shows cherry picked highlights. It's like trying to date a girl off the interenet. She's going to put up pcitures that make her look good and when you go meet her you have to prey she's not a wild beast.

They just aren't going to include any footage that makes the game look bad. Like when they show the Oregon player making the leaping interception to show how much better zone is, even though that same thing happens fairly routinely in NCAA 11. Down to the exact same animation.

I could almost guarantee that if I went and dug up old OS threads about the early videos released last year you wouldn't hear anyone complaining about zone defense or suction tackling/blocking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #36
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
My only issue is that the video shows cherry picked highlights. It's like trying to date a girl off the interenet. She's going to put up pcitures that make her look good and when you go meet her you have to prey she's not a wild beast.

They just aren't going to include any footage that makes the game look bad. Like when they show the Oregon player making the leaping interception to show how much better zone is, even though that same thing happens fairly routinely in NCAA 11. Down to the exact same animation.

I could almost guarantee that if I went and dug up old OS threads about the early videos released last year you wouldn't hear anyone complaining about zone defense or suction tackling/blocking.
It is always hard to judge EA sports videos because they tend to put the game on a very easy difficulty to show off highlight type of stuff. The good thing is that means everything should be even better when played at a proper difficulty level.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #37
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
It is always hard to judge EA sports videos because they tend to put the game on a very easy difficulty to show off highlight type of stuff. The good thing is that means everything should be even better when played at a proper difficulty level.
They tune their game on all american. And at all the community day events, that is the difficulty people played on.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #38
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
They tune their game on all american. And at all the community day events, that is the difficulty people played on.
yes I understand but I am not talking about tuning the game. I am talking about their promo videos. When they make videos to promote the game they want to show off lots of highlights so the easiest way to get highlights is to lower the difficulty.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #39
MVP

poopoop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake_33
I don't think it's very hard to be skeptical, but I'm they type of guy that'll buy this game every year regardless of new features. They may have talked about this feature last year, but they've showcased it a lot more this year so I'm confident that it'll be improved a lot more.
NCAA 11 was the first one I've bought in a while, now we'll see whether or not EA can make enough improvements over a single year (instead of over a few years) to get me to purchase.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #40
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
To the OP and some others, I feel where you all are coming from but fall back off EA football just a little. You guys are acting like Pinky from the movie Next Friday. You ask EA to address your issues but when they try, you guys want them to STFU! LOL! No reasonable person can fault you guys for being skeptical after ALL the BS we have been shoveled over the past 6 years but the whole point of our complaints is supposed to be to get better football games. I don't think any of you guys can honestly say any of these game play issues they appear to be directly confronting this year, didn't need to be addressed. The excited and optimistic people are not all a bunch of naive EA cultist, most just understand EA is all we have got right now for licensed football games and they are making the best of a bad situation. For 6 years I have wanted to be excited and optimistic about EA football but could not overlook tackling, blocking, defensive AI, penalties and ratings, all being so poorly implemented in freaking "sim" EA football games. Now for the first time in 6 years, I am actually excited and optimistic about some core areas of EA football games being fundamentally improved.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Let's put it this way. I would have been more skeptical last week and before with NCAA, but after seeing that second video, it's hard not too say that tackling hasn't been improved.

It's hard to fool with motion seen by your own eyes. Still pictures don't do it for me.
What we seen so far may not be good enough for a lot of people, and that's totally fine, but the little bit of video we seen of the new tackling is, in my eyes, exponentially better then anything we've ever had in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
You don't HAVE to buy anything. If you don't have confidence in a video game then either a) wait on the demo or b) rent it first. Doing a blind buy on a game that you're already "down on" is no ones fault but, your own.
This. I'm hoping that in the first week after the game releases their aren't a bunch of people here, losing their religion, going on and on about how EA duped them with their evil hype machine. If your skepticism doesn't allow you to have any patience, then it is essentially indistinguishable from unbridled optimism. Except for the message board whining part.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »