Home

What TV settings do you use to make your game look better?

This is a discussion on What TV settings do you use to make your game look better? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: What TV settings do you use to make your game look better?

Um, no, nobody has ever said that. Running a coaxial cable from your cable box (or god forbid a console if a converter even exists for such a thing) into your TV would mean you're running an analog signal into your TV. Analog signals can an do vary based on a ton of things, and they can't pump as much information as HDMI anyway. Digital signals do not vary. The picture comes or it doesn't.

Now, running a coaxial into your TV from an antenna will give you a digital signal, which your TV then decodes. And the signal from your wall into your cable box is digital over a coaxial, which the cable box then decodes. But if you run a coaxial out of the box into your TV that'll be analog.

And back to the point, go look at studies on expensive versus cheap HDMI cables. They're always the same.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
Rookie

8mileroad's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrueToTheGame
I sure hope you are not saying that Beats headphones are bad headphones.

They are decent sounding headphones, but they are not the best, but by no stretch of the imagination are they bad.

They are no sennheiser, but they are sturdy quality headphones.
Funny you say that, I have Sennheiser HD558's. Beats are not bad headphones, but more so middle-of-the-range headphones worth around $50, but priced much higher. Obviously it's not a direct comparison to HDMI cables as a monoprice HDMI cable is equally as good as a Monster/Audioquest/etc. HDMI cable.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mileroad
Funny you say that, I have Sennheiser HD558's. Beats are not bad headphones, but more so middle-of-the-range headphones worth around $50, but priced much higher. Obviously it's not a direct comparison to HDMI cables as a monoprice HDMI cable is equally as good as a Monster/Audioquest/etc. HDMI cable.
But my point is, who are we to say what something is worth? I have a pair of the 598's and I just bought a pair of the dark blue Beats Studios that run at about $299 (I didn't pay that but whatever) anyways why did I feel like it was worth it to buy a pair of $300 beats when I know they wouldn't sound as good as my $250 598's? Because they were blue. Yep just the color, to me the style of the headphones is more important to me than the sound quality, My car is blue, most of my clothes are blue, and being on a college campus I like to walk around with my headphones around my neck a lot, and the sennheisers style just wasn't doing it for me, so what "value" is greatly varies from person to person, we don't have the right to say something isn't worth it's price tag.

Back on the HDMI cables If you are telling me a cable that is 3$ performs the same as a cable that is 5% silver with Polyethylene Insulation then all I can say is do some research, I've been privileged enough to go see these cable be made, I've been fortunate enough to talk to the people who make them, and lucky for me I own a few. But if you are going to go spend $2500 on a TV and throw a 3 dollar HDMI cable on it you are doing nothing other than selling yourself short. So basically I've shared the knowledge with you guys, what you do with it from here is your own choice, but I think I'm done with this thread.

Last edited by JrueToTheGame; 08-11-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm using a vizio lcd and I been tinkering with the different settings but sometimes it looks way to dark and then it looks way to bright. I haven't found the happy medium yet. My vizio is 70 inches and thats why I use it because its nice and big but I also have a 50 inch samsung lcd and it seems to blow the vizio away in the color department at least for football games. I'm no tv expert or anything but i prolly wouldn't buy a vizio again for gaming on, but like i said maybe I'm missing something with the vizio to tinker with.

Playing:
Old 08-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 1

Here are the first five non-forum results for a google search of "cheap versus expensive HDMI." Literally every one, including two that run actual tests, says that there is no difference. That's because there is no difference.

http://www.tested.com/tech/3329-the-...e-hdmi-cables/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-are-the-same/

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-...absolute-proof

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/vid...-cable-1071343

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385272,00.asp
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
Banned

BigMoneyAllDay's Arena

OVR: 0

Old 08-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #23
Flyin' High

Birdman18's Arena

OVR: 8

I worked for Magnolia too man.. Hell, I was the damn supervisor and won numerous district awards for best HT dept in a large Midwestern market.. Truth be told, the other guys are right.. For the most part, hdmi is hdmi. Where that changes is over runs longer than 14-15ft. Digital signal degradation happens and can be severe on a bad cable. Trust me, stick with selling your rocketfish and insignia line cables. You'll make more profit that way!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #24
Flyin' High

Birdman18's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mileroad
This so so much. The same people who buy Monster cables buy Beats headphones. Come to think of it, doesn't Monster own Beats...?

Beats by Dre are now their own company as they've left the monster brand.

To answer the original question, I prefer plasma.. But for pic settings, no one here can tell anyone else what's better or best. Each tv will need specific settings based on the lighting scenario and angle you watch it from. I'd recommend professional calibration if you really want to maximize your tv to the fullest. It's expensive, so if you have a $400 tv, keep it on movie mode! If you've spent upwards of $1500 or more, spend the extra cash and get it setup to true movie theater color.. And please, don't use the brightest setting!! It runs the life of your tv down quicker, it will cause eye strain/fatigue, and will overall make your reds and blues look like crap.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »