Home

Best PS2 year?

This is a discussion on Best PS2 year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #33
Just started!

LmaoTseTung's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best PS2 year?

They all blend in together for me. I remember loving the first one on Sega Genesis.lol. They had All Time teams etc like Madden used to do.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan3723
2004 is the best IMO. Still play it. I like the graphics better in 04 as well. Downside is the non-rotating conference schedules in Dynasty.

2006 is good but the deep ball was way too easy. I did like the HFA aspect.

2005 was garbage. Wide open guys dropped passes all the time.
I actually prefer NCAA 2003 over NCAA 2004. The running game is outstanding in NCAA 2003, and just the blocking / defense reaction time is more natural and player ratings are respected. NCAA 2005 isn't garbage, but it does have its share of issues. The dropped passes aren't that big of a problem to me, a bigger issue in NCAA 2005 is the running game, which isn't as good as NCAA 2003, because defenses react too fast on All-American or Heisman. (Varsity is more like NCAA 2003 but a little too easy)

I do like NCAA 2005, the passing game is very good. The dropped passes keep scoring down and make you really have to pinpoint your passes. The running game is just different than in other games, the defenses react very quickly to runs and while it makes it challenging, it's a little unrealistic in that it's hard to break big runs without the option.

By the way Home Field Advantage started in NCAA 2005, not 06.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #35
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
I actually prefer NCAA 2003 over NCAA 2004. The running game is outstanding in NCAA 2003, and just the blocking / defense reaction time is more natural and player ratings are respected. NCAA 2005 isn't garbage, but it does have its share of issues. The dropped passes aren't that big of a problem to me, a bigger issue in NCAA 2005 is the running game, which isn't as good as NCAA 2003, because defenses react too fast on All-American or Heisman. (Varsity is more like NCAA 2003 but a little too easy)

I do like NCAA 2005, the passing game is very good. The dropped passes keep scoring down and make you really have to pinpoint your passes. The running game is just different than in other games, the defenses react very quickly to runs and while it makes it challenging, it's a little unrealistic in that it's hard to break big runs without the option.

By the way Home Field Advantage started in NCAA 2005, not 06.
I didn't say it started in 2006. Simply stated it was the feature of the game I liked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #36
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

man, 04 really? you guys played that lately? i put it last year and it was terrible. now in 04 it was the ****. players are freaking huge compared to field. you can throw out routes all game and you can put sliders at all 0's for hum and 100's for cpu on heisman and the cpu cant get a first down. now head to head it was a blast but those online game are way better.

what sucks is everyone was playing the garbage on this gen and missed the best two versions. 09 being the best. medical reshirts, stats or high school recruits that were dynamic during season. spring game, qb avoidance. very good game. 08 i think was good but had a pursuit issue. 07 I would put next but like 06 it had one or two things that messed it up. 06 had that fun online factor that 04 had but still sucked against cpu. i do remember on 09 having to play as a MLB because any other position i would be too dominate and the lb's jump way to high on the old gen.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
You have me intrigued about 2003 now, which I haven't played in probably a decade. I still have the disc though, and I'm going to give it a try. Any advice on sliders/difficulty?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #38
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday
You have me intrigued about 2003 now, which I haven't played in probably a decade. I still have the disc though, and I'm going to give it a try. Any advice on sliders/difficulty?
I use Bill Abner's NCAA 2003 sliders. They are really good. Here they are:

Gameplay : All-American

On a scale from 0-20, 10 being default middle.

Offense

Human-CPU
QB Accuracy 5-14
Pass Block 5-5
WR Catch 5-5
RB Ability 10-15
Run Block 5-15

Defense
Human-CPU
Awareness 9-15
Knockdowns 15-15
Interceptions 10-15
Break Block 10-15
Tackling 10-10

Might want to also turn up Punt Length and Accuracy, esp for the CPU so you have room for returns. Can't remember if I changed kickoff length, but you can mess around with that. FGs are pretty good on default, might even want to lower the slider a notch or two if it's too easy.

What's cool about NCAA 2003 is it has the best kickoff / punt returns in any NCAA game imho. Even on All-American. Games like NCAA 2005 the kickoff / punt returns are good on Varsity, but once you move to All-American, it's nearly impossible to break anything because the defenses reaction time speeds up too much. But NCAA 2003 doesn't have this problem, also you can change direction quickly and make guys miss in a realistic way, something they removed from the game after NCAA 2003 I think.

I think you'll like those sliders. They are what I'm using now and I'm having great back and forth challenging games vs CPU teams. The CPU can actually drive the ball on you with these sliders. Another thing about NCAA 2003 I like is it has 3 extra goal-line defensive plays, plays that they removed from later games.

NCAA 2003 is very organic. It's a little feature-thin compared to the later games, but once you learn the controls (like the switching players and speed burst buttons on defense is different than later games) it's a good time. the passing game is a lot of fun and it's really the last NCAA game where you can get a lot of YAC (yards after catch) when you catch a ball in space. You'll see. Try out those sliders and let me know what you think.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #39
Rookie

Williams0907's Arena

OVR: 1

NCAA 2006 was definitely my all time favorite. Amazing dynasty moments and gameplay was awesome. Really liked the side view camera from runs that break up the middle.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Try out those sliders and let me know what you think.

I tried those sliders last night, here are some impressions.

First thing I noticed is how nice the menus are. No lag at all, easy to get around. This should not be underrated, given how bad menus are on some new games.

Game modes/features actually not bad. There are no spring drills, no classic or 1-A teams, etc. But there is Dynasty and Season mode, and you can create players and schools.

In-game graphics are definitely showing their age, but enjoyable in a retro sort of way. The players actually look pretty good, but stadiums, crowds, etc are lacking.

I really enjoyed the gameplay. The players are very responsive, you don't feel like you're fighting to gain control like you often do in current games. The cpu called a smart game (smart enough, anyway) and put up a good fight. I played Oregon vs. Nebraska and was tied at the half before I had to quit the game.

The biggest problem with the game which would keep me from playing more often is the playbooks. Just too limited compared to the games even just a couple years later.

Are you sure those sliders are right, as far as WR Catch? Seems low at 5. Receivers were dropping easy catches. Do you get realistic passing stats with these?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »