Home

did they ever fix the human defense against cpu offense?

This is a discussion on did they ever fix the human defense against cpu offense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: did they ever fix the human defense against cpu offense?

I used to have the same problems and tweaking sliders (dropping the offensive one and the raising defensive ones except INTs) fixed it for the most part. I play pretty conservatively usually sticking with Cover 3 with 4 pass rushers as my base defense. For 3rd and long situations where the CPU usually either throws a screen or Four Verticals I do Cover 2 Man or Cover 4. I only send extra pressure when it's an obvious run situation or in the red zone. My run defense doesn't suffer all that much. There are still some annoying plays but not enough to take away from the overall quality of the game.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeafroman
I don't know what you guys are doing. I run a mix of man and zone, always bring pressure, slant the lines, shift the LBs, etc. EVERY single season, I'm #1 in rush D and sacks, and horrible in pass D.

I don't give up that many points, but it's still frustrating as hell. I run man, it's either a sack or an open corner or out route. I run zone, it's either a sack or the QB hits a wide-open back or WR in a gaping hole in the zone.

I'm almost always Florida, so everyone has high ratings, and it's meaningless. Especially the safeties, they can literally have 95+ man rating, and get juked by 10 yards on a simple route. It's broken, whether some are successful or not.
I recommend trying the latest Community sliders. They've finally nailed HUM pass D and the CPU's QB play. No more Robo QB and good DB's on your team make great plays on the ball. I'm top five in the nation in team interceptions and my secondary is nasty. They're finally playing like it after so many frustrating slider sets that failed to get this down pat.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 11-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
Rookie

TNBassMan10's Arena

Quote:
I don't know what you guys are doing. I run a mix of man and zone, always bring pressure, slant the lines, shift the LBs, etc. EVERY single season, I'm #1 in rush D and sacks, and horrible in pass D.

I don't give up that many points, but it's still frustrating as hell. I run man, it's either a sack or an open corner or out route. I run zone, it's either a sack or the QB hits a wide-open back or WR in a gaping hole in the zone.

I'm almost always Florida, so everyone has high ratings, and it's meaningless. Especially the safeties, they can literally have 95+ man rating, and get juked by 10 yards on a simple route. It's broken, whether some are successful or not.
I know what you mean but I can tell you that I still win 90% of my games on Heisman (with sliders skewed to the CPU) by that philosophy. I'm always top 3 in Rush D. Normally, I'm #1. I'd say on average with a decent team (Tennessee) I'm normally about 90's in pass defense. You are right, the out route is nearly unstoppable (unless you defend it yourself). However, I normally blitz much more than normal. I try to mix it up too. Sometimes I'll be the DE and come around the end (and send the OLB through the gap I create). Other times I'll cross as the OLB and attack from the edges. Every now and then I'll call a safety blitz or CB blitz and go after that scrambling QB.

If I'm #1 in rush defense, teams are going to struggle in the running game. That means they're going to fall behind and start chucking the ball around. Being #1 in rush defense is skewed just as being bad in pass defense. If I was constantly losing my rush defense would get worse as teams try and run the ball more. When teams are behind, they air it out to try and catch up. Additionally, I don't know how many times I've held a team to about 125 yards passing thru 3 quarters and when I'm up 21+ on them in the 4th the QB will end up having 300 yards passing cause they go 5-wide all 4th quarter.

Just got to adjust. Losing is part of the game as you learn. Heck, I wish I lost more often (or at least had closer games). I typically have about 1-2 close games a season, with a decent to bad team in a good conference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Bassman brings up a good point. Another change that makes a big difference on my pass defense numbers is that my offensive sliders are really tough (probably tougher than most would allow). IE. unless he's warm or hot, my QB (even w/ 99 THA) will miss wide open receivers by 10+ yards or I'll have my 99 SPD HB who's running free get run down from behind by LBs.

Anywho, with tough offensive sliders, I don't score as often (the last couple of seasons with NC State and then UNC I averaged about 27 PPG w/ 8 minute quarters and in the first 7 years of my new dynasty I've never averaged above 27 PPG with any team on 8 minute quarters). What this means is that the CPU stays in games for almost the entire game. The CPU's logic is that when they get down by 14+ they'll turn on "OMG I better PASSSSS" mode, even if they're a run heavy team.

In games where I build a big lead, I'll give up quite a few passing yards, but not because my guys are covering any more poorly than before. It's simply because the CPU is passing all the time. If you're giving up tons more passing yards than rushing yards, it might not be because you're playing the pass poorly (although it still sounds like most of you are) but it might just be because the CPU only passes due to a large deficit.

If you're constantly giving up 70 to Wyoming, then obviously there's something else fundamentally wrong (most likely the sliders).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 11-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBassMan10
I know what you mean but I can tell you that I still win 90% of my games on Heisman (with sliders skewed to the CPU) by that philosophy. I'm always top 3 in Rush D. Normally, I'm #1. I'd say on average with a decent team (Tennessee) I'm normally about 90's in pass defense. You are right, the out route is nearly unstoppable (unless you defend it yourself). However, I normally blitz much more than normal. I try to mix it up too. Sometimes I'll be the DE and come around the end (and send the OLB through the gap I create). Other times I'll cross as the OLB and attack from the edges. Every now and then I'll call a safety blitz or CB blitz and go after that scrambling QB.

If I'm #1 in rush defense, teams are going to struggle in the running game. That means they're going to fall behind and start chucking the ball around. Being #1 in rush defense is skewed just as being bad in pass defense. If I was constantly losing my rush defense would get worse as teams try and run the ball more. When teams are behind, they air it out to try and catch up. Additionally, I don't know how many times I've held a team to about 125 yards passing thru 3 quarters and when I'm up 21+ on them in the 4th the QB will end up having 300 yards passing cause they go 5-wide all 4th quarter.

Just got to adjust. Losing is part of the game as you learn. Heck, I wish I lost more often (or at least had closer games). I typically have about 1-2 close games a season, with a decent to bad team in a good conference.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I lose much. I win over 95% of the time (too much, honestly). But having this huge portion of the game be totally broken isn't acceptable. Sliders don't fix it. Being behind and passing a lot is not the culprit.

Defensive backs with 90+ man coverage ratings being completely unable to cover a simple out route is the culprit. The CPU QB routinely having a 85%+ completion percentage vs. a mix of man and zone is the culprit.

It's broken, the end.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #14
Rookie

SalvArmyMatt's Arena

OVR: 1

Not broken. You just suck!!! Haha!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Bassman brings up a good point. Another change that makes a big difference on my pass defense numbers is that my offensive sliders are really tough (probably tougher than most would allow).
Out of curiosity, how tough? I usually go 5 for QB accuracy and 20 for everything else. CPU defense is at 90 for pass coverage and 80 for rush defense/tackling. I put interceptions at 20 because I used to throw a ton of them...probably could bump that up.
Quote:
The CPU QB routinely having a 85%+ completion percentage vs. a mix of man and zone is the culprit.
This never happened to me even before I used sliders. Sure the man defense is iffy against certain routes, but it isn't that bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I recommend trying the latest Community sliders. They've finally nailed HUM pass D and the CPU's QB play. No more Robo QB and good DB's on your team make great plays on the ball. I'm top five in the nation in team interceptions and my secondary is nasty. They're finally playing like it after so many frustrating slider sets that failed to get this down pat.
I will second that! I am currently in year 2024 using the community sliders the entire way. I have won 3 straight national titles with the top overall D. My pass D is never below 30th. I have had 25+ Ints per year during that period. I have 3 former #1 ranked corners in their class. I am to the point where my D is too good now that is has made the game unfair. In the 2022 title game I had 7 picks on a Miami QB that was a 99ovr and I only control a pass rushing DE.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »