Home

Worth while pickup?

This is a discussion on Worth while pickup? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
Rookie

fancyketchup's Arena

OVR: 1
Worth while pickup?

I have Ncaa 13. I feel like jumping back into a college football game. I found Ncaa 14 for $30. Is Ncaa 14 a worth the money to upgrade?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Worth while pickup?

You can get it through Best Buy for around $19.99 PS3 preowned, the xbox version is likely sold out.

Have you considered simply downloading the demo?

I have both the PS3 NCAA13 and NCAA14 demo. I have also tried prior versions of the game, but none of them really made me want to pick up the game until NCAA14. I have it on order through Best Buy and will be receiving it (preowned) this upcoming Friday for store pick up. This will be my first NCAA football game. I have been playing the demo for hours and it's still enjoyable.

It could just be me, but NCAA14 feels better all around.

The following is based on my experience with the demo. NCAA14: The running feels better, the running also seems to have more "weight" than any other previous NCAA versions. Definitely feels better than Madden25 and NCAA13 if that makes any difference. The running animation could still certainly be improved, however.

Delivering a tackle definitely feels much more viscous. Every time a big hit is delivered, I flinch a little. I can sort of "feel" it if you will. Getting tackled by a defender also feels great. I don't have this same experience when playing the NCAA13 demo.

I do enjoy NCAA13 in game studio updates, including the bottom screen score ticker. I didn't see it in the NCAA14 demo. The overall presentation certainly is several step up from NCAA13. Post play animations are better. The camera angles was better. The default camera angle was closer to the field, more immersive. Player models' color palette was more visually appealing. NCAA13 had that classic EA/Madden/NCAA toy-ish player model color palette, too shiny, too plastic. Probably a big reason I could never get into the previous versions.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 AM   #3
MVP

RedRaider10's Arena

OVR: 0

NCAA 14 has the updates and on-screen ticker, might not be in the demo. But it's there in the full game.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:10 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider10
NCAA 14 has the updates and on-screen ticker, might not be in the demo. But it's there in the full game.
Appreciate it. Sweet. Full game PS3 coming on Friday. Can't wait. No allegiance to any teams.

I never really cared much for college football because there were too many competing colleges, high student turnover rate, small schools never really got a chance to compete for the BCS championship. Bowl games without a "definitive" champion so to speak. No real playoff system. Regardless, still watched whatever was on Saturdays broadcast when I had nothing else better to do.

Didn't attend a college with a football program. Probably will stick with my local teams (either Cal Bears or Stanford, and maybe UCLA).

Hopefully franchise mode is "never-ending" and I can go 500+ years or whatever.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
MVP

RedRaider10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Appreciate it. Sweet. Full game PS3 coming on Friday. Can't wait. No allegiance to any teams.

I never really cared much for college football because there were too many competing colleges, high student turnover rate, small schools never really got a chance to compete for the BCS championship. Bowl games without a "definitive" champion so to speak. No real playoff system. Regardless, still watched whatever was on Saturdays broadcast when I had nothing else better to do.

Didn't attend a college with a football program. Probably will stick with my local teams (either Cal Bears or Stanford, and maybe UCLA).

Hopefully franchise mode is "never-ending" and I can go 500+ years or whatever.
Dynasty mode goes 60 years, but there is a way to mod it to go past that but I have no idea how.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2015, 03:30 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider10
Dynasty mode goes 60 years, but there is a way to mod it to go past that but I have no idea how.
What happens at 61 years? Game over. Just start over with a different team? Was hoping not to have to mod it, but if it comes down to it. I might have to do some research and post it here.

Do statistics build up for 60 years?

Let's say you win 5 bowls game total over 50 years for the university, is it compiled at the end?

In other words, how's the stat tracker for different records (i.e. school records, division records, certain receiver did this and that, certain quarterback did this and that is a "college hall of famer" etc.?

Does the commentary "keep track" of your dynasty history of your school and other schools around the nation?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 AM   #7
MVP

RedRaider10's Arena

Quote:
What happens at 61 years? Game over. Just start over with a different team? Was hoping not to have to mod it, but if it comes down to it. I might have to do some research and post it here.

Do statistics build up for 60 years?

Let's say you win 5 bowls game total over 50 years for the university, is it compiled at the end?

In other words, how's the stat tracker for different records (i.e. school records, division records, certain receiver did this and that, certain quarterback did this and that is a "college hall of famer" etc.?

Does the commentary "keep track" of your dynasty history of your school and other schools around the nation?
I don't know, I typically play with commentary off since it gets old and boring after a while. I don't know about any of the other stuff but it does show your coaching stats that will include record vs rivals, top 25 teams, and in bowl games. There are records that include in-game stuff. The game works differently than most. You can have as many dynasty modes as you want, you're not restricted to one unless you want to.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I never really cared much for college football because there were too many competing colleges, high student turnover rate
Wow. These are my (and lots of other college fans) 2 favorite things about college sports. The variety (especially in football with the tons of different offensive philosophies) really makes the college game special compared to the NFL. I LOVE that you have a brand new team every 4 years. Following recruiting is almost as much fun as following the teams during the season.

Quote:
Bowl games without a "definitive" champion so to speak. No real playoff system.
Quote:
Was hoping not to have to mod it
By modding the game you can fix the "no real playoff system" problem.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »