Home

EA Fails again...

This is a discussion on EA Fails again... within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: EA Fails again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusKilled
FYI, in my be a pro season, there are CRAZY fouls. At LEAST 5-6 per game on 5 minute halves. I've seen 10 in a game.
I agree. You see a bunch of fouls in the Be a Pro season mode.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 9

Another thing that is frustrating is the VERY late offside calls. They are like 2 or 3 seconds late.

And when will they ever get the suspensions right. A straight red is not a 1 match ban it's 3. A 3 match ban isn't even an option in create a tournament.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusKilled
FYI, in my be a pro season, there are CRAZY fouls. At LEAST 5-6 per game on 5 minute halves. I've seen 10 in a game.
Yeah. I'm starting to see both. Games with plenty of fouls and some with next to none. I'm also seeing more fouls on the WC level than I am on PRO

The last 4 games I've played

USA*-0 Mexico-1 (WC)

1 foul at halftime and 13 total for the game. Both teams use the DOUBLE aggression tactic. In the guide it states that this will fatigue your players quicker. It was obvious in the second half because the play was sloppy. Mexico finished with 9 players.

Italy*-1 Germany-2 (WC)

Germany went down to 10 men early when Podolski picked up two quick yellows. They had 8 fouls I had 5.

Arsenal-2 Liverpool*-0 (WC)

7 total fouls. 5 cards.

Reading-0 Sheffield United-3 (PRO)

2 total fouls the entire game. Both were yellow.

at the half....Barca-1 Ath. Madrid*-0 (WC)

Barca has 6 fouls and I have 1. Iniesta has been sent off with two yellows. 4 cards. This game has the potential to get ugly. There always seem to be more fouls in the second half.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #12

Bruins's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerbear
Another thing that is frustrating is the VERY late offside calls. They are like 2 or 3 seconds late.
I like that, it's realistic. If you watch the replay, the late calls happen a lot of times when the referee has his back to the linesman, and when he turns to where he could see him is when he blows the whistle. Happens in real life. I like how it's not instant every. single. time. like it was in 08.
Quote:
And when will they ever get the suspensions right. A straight red is not a 1 match ban it's 3. A 3 match ban isn't even an option in create a tournament.
The ban differs from league to league, some use 1 match suspensions, some 3, some 2 probably. I agree that there should be an option, though.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 14

My main gripe with the refs is the hit-and-miss advantage system, it seems to getting worse the more i play. I've already shown you guys in the Video thread an example of the ref calling back for the foul AFTER i had cleanly won a header that resulted in a goal...other times this has worked in favour where i'm fouled in the act of shooting but still get the shot off, it goes wide but the ref calls back for a penalty. However, lately the refs seem to call back for the foul quite often even when the team has possession of the ball in clear space.

Also the delayed bookings cause another issue where you could play long periods of a game at a disadvantage. Eg: I played Man Utd, Carrick was on a yellow. Then in the 50th minute a Man Utd player fouled me - i wasn't sure who at the time - but the advantage was played since i still had possesion. Lost the ball fairly quickly (IMO the ref should've called back for the foul because i lost it so quickly) but he didn't and we played back and forth up until the 70th minute when they scored through Rooney. After the goal celebration, it turns out Carrick was given a belated second yellow because he was the player who committed the 50th minute foul...so i gave up a goal when i really should've been playing those last 20 in-game minutes (8 minute halves) with a one-man advantage!

And the reason for the 20-minute gap between the foul and the card is simply because of a lack of stoppages in the game, due to a lack of fouls and the fact that CPU defenders still clear the ball upfield to their forwards more often than they do out of play. Even when i press X to clear under pressure, it usually stays in play (unless i'm facing my own goalline initially).

This same issue happened two more times in the same session, one even invloved a delayed straight red card for the CPU player!

While the lack of fouls and the high card-to-foul ratio is unrealistic, i'm OK with it and I don't find the plethora of cards a problem TBH. Yeah i've had a few straight reds that upon replay looked like yellows at worst, but its much better than getting away with everything, or players not even falling to the ground like in FIFA 08, IMO. Also, the "bias" of which human and CPU players receive yellow/red cards for similar fouls is much more even in FIFA 09 than any soccer game i've ever played.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 9

How are you guys finding the cpu substitutions? They make very silly subs in my opinion. For example. I'm currently playing as Liverpool at Stamford bridge. I'm up 2-nil in the 58th minute. Chelsea have just made a triple substitution. They've taken off Lampard, Essien and Bosingwa for Ballack, Mikel and Belletti. That leaves both Anelka and Kalou on the bench. Wierd!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 14

In most matches they seem to replace a CB with another CB late in the game, usually when i'm winning too...seems like a waste of a sub.

Also while playing Arsenal and leading 2-0 midway through the second half (i was Newcastle) they switched to a 4-3-3 and replaced a mid with new signing David Villa to play at ST. That was cool to see, but later on, they replaced the RW van Persie with Diaby, who stayed at RW!

Generally though, most CPU teams just make like-for-like subs and stick with the same formation from what i've seen, even if i'm winning late on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerbear
How are you guys finding the cpu substitutions? They make very silly subs in my opinion. For example. I'm currently playing as Liverpool at Stamford bridge. I'm up 2-nil in the 58th minute. Chelsea have just made a triple substitution. They've taken off Lampard, Essien and Bosingwa for Ballack, Mikel and Belletti. That leaves both Anelka and Kalou on the bench. Wierd!
I haven't really noticed a problem with the subs. Pretty realistic IMO. Defenders and strikers are being brought on at the right time.

Just finished a game on Legendary. I played as Real Madrid against Sevilla and lost 4-0. No problem. Sevilla had 11 fouls and 3 bookings. Of course they finished with 10 players, but all of the goals were legit. Not one of them seemed like a CPU "cheat" goal. They took advantage when I went DOUBLE on aggression down 3-0. I switched back to default CT and everything slowed down.

I like the difference in difficulty levels this year. Doesn't seem a cheap as it has in previous years or like it does in every other sports game. I still need to practice but, I may be able to play on Legendary this year. Last year? No way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »