Home

Exhibition Matches - The Best of FIFA 09!

This is a discussion on Exhibition Matches - The Best of FIFA 09! within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Exhibition Matches - The Best of FIFA 09!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
I don't see any "scripting" at all.
That's why I put quotations around the word scripting. It's not scripted as in "comeback AI". It's scripted in the sense that the CPU will get obvious attribute boosts at certain times that substantially improve the CPU's strength, speed, agility and anticipation, its ability to cross and head the ball, and to score. As I said, EA's NHL series is programmed the same way. It's meant to emulate "pressure tactics" or something and to give gamers a challenge obviously.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

I know what you are talking about and in the NHL series it has more to do with momentum than anything, cause those same occurrences happen both ways.

I was playing Manchester United with my team Tottenham on Professional. I am up 1 - 0 controlling the game quite nicely. Then all of a sudden bam they just take off making passes left and right tearing my team to bits as if they never played defense before in their lives. All of a sudden they go up 2-1. It had a definitive cheap feel to it. However I have had the same occurrence take place on my behalf where I just all of a sudden get to every loose ball and just tear apart the AI defense.

I hate hidden momentum bars in games. It's a video game lets us see the momentum slider in the game so we can see what is going on. They allow us to see the momentum in the college b-ball game as well as fatigue levels for players. It would alleviate the feeling of "scripted" gameplay when you see it coming.

Last edited by catcatch22; 11-12-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
That's why I put quotations around the word scripting. It's not scripted as in "comeback AI". It's scripted in the sense that the CPU will get obvious attribute boosts at certain times that substantially improve the CPU's strength, speed, agility and anticipation, its ability to cross and head the ball, and to score. As I said, EA's NHL series is programmed the same way. It's meant to emulate "pressure tactics" or something and to give gamers a challenge obviously.
There's also something in soccer where teams will push forward!

The AI will change it's shape and tactics to become more aggressive. That means you have to withstand the attack and counter.

Now, unlike PES, where you could score so easily on the counter, you can still score when the CPU pushes too far upfield.

Not as much scripting as it is the CPU trying to win the game. Play WE6 and then get back with me on scripting. If the CPU had a corner in the last 10 minutes you would lose.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
This is going to be one of those things that can be argued forever. I have to agree with JRod on this one. Actually, I find the Exhibition games on the Pro level more difficult than MM games with Portsmouth on the Pro level.

I don't see any "scripting" at all.

Pro level in FIFA 09 is quite easy to be honest. I have seen the AI scripted goals in WORLD CLASS only, that too in competition modes. I'm never going to believe otherwise. I know how may times I've led 2-0 and then lost the lead and sometimes the match in the last few minutes. Once I was leading 2-0, the AI score in 88th minute. Then, changed my formation to 5-4-1, set mentality to ultra defensive and I was ready to get any number of red cards to prevent a goal. You know what, just two midfield passes, one pass to the right flank, a cross and a headed goal, like I wasn't even playing! And for all this, I think I'm a defensive type of player!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I was playing Manchester United with my team Tottenham on Professional. I am up 1 - 0 controlling the game quite nicely. Then all of a sudden bam they just take off making passes left and right tearing my team to bits as if they never played defense before in their lives. All of a sudden they go up 2-1. It had a definitive cheap feel to it. However I have had the same occurrence take place on my behalf where I just all of a sudden get to every loose ball and just tear apart the AI defense.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, and it happens in FIFA without question. And good point about the User team getting the same momentum advantage -- that's happened to me many times. Very noticable when it occurs, because I'm suddenly GOOD for a change!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
Not as much scripting as it is the CPU trying to win the game. Play WE6 and then get back with me on scripting. If the CPU had a corner in the last 10 minutes you would lose.
FIFA 08 was similar with the corners and free kicks especially. In fairness to 09, I noticed immediately that the momentum stuff isn't anywhere near as prevalent (obvious?) as it was last year.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluchampblogger
Pro level in FIFA 09 is quite easy to be honest. I have seen the AI scripted goals in WORLD CLASS only, that too in competition modes. I'm never going to believe otherwise. I know how may times I've led 2-0 and then lost the lead and sometimes the match in the last few minutes. Once I was leading 2-0, the AI score in 88th minute. Then, changed my formation to 5-4-1, set mentality to ultra defensive and I was ready to get any number of red cards to prevent a goal. You know what, just two midfield passes, one pass to the right flank, a cross and a headed goal, like I wasn't even playing! And for all this, I think I'm a defensive type of player!

But the CPU changes it formation to score goals. I also think they change mentality.

How many of you switch to play counter-attacking football?

I do it and sometimes can squeeze a goal in late and that kills off the CPU.

And there have been plenty times where I'm down 2-1 throw everything forward and have the CPU score a goal and I'm done.

I think people have problems defending in this game. They play it like WE and shoulder tackle everything. I rarely use shoulder tackling and mostly play containing football. If the CPU squares up to me then I try to steal the ball. I also rarely dive.

I think people should use the L-trigger more and lay off the A button.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
I think people should use the L-trigger more and lay off the A button.
I agree. It's funny...a lot of people are complaining that the CPU attacks too quickly and just flies up the pitch. But if you get into position and play as you just described, you force the CPU to turn around, pass it back, and take its time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »