Home

I know nothing about soccer. Would you recommend this game?

This is a discussion on I know nothing about soccer. Would you recommend this game? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #25
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: I know nothing about soccer. Would you recommend this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
Guys, I have a similar question. Unlike the OP, I am familiar with soccer. Played for about 12 years starting at about age 6. I wasn't usually gifted enough to be a star player but I feel like I could definitely grasp the strategy and all. I love watching the World Cup and some of the best times in my life were watching Champions League games in various Irish pubs. The last soccer game that I bought was WC2006 (still have it actually). I played the demo for this the other day and it really felt a LOT more natural than what I remembered from previous games and I'm pretty sure that I'll be picking it up today.

Anyway, my question is: do you think this game could be a good way to learn the structures of the different leagues and all? I'm talking relegation, promotion, transfer windows, etc. I have a very basic understanding of the concepts but not so much how they actually work and the rules surrounding them. I tried getting into Football Manager a few years ago but I just got WAY overwhelmed with it all.

On a related side note, does anyone else wish that some of the "major" US sports would use the whole relegation/promotion concept?

I'd go the Wiki route to learn about the sport.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #26
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
KG, you need to go to the Wiki if it'll help you get off the Chelski bandwagon!?!? .
Old 10-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #27
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
KG, you need to go to the Wiki if it'll help you get off the Chelski bandwagon!?!? .
HAHA...there is no bandwagon. I know of only 2 other OSers that like the Blues....everyone else pretty much likes Arsenal or United.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #28
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
HAHA...there is no bandwagon. I know of only 2 other OSers that like the Blues....everyone else pretty much likes Arsenal or United.
That's because some of us aren't greedy mercenaries. We'd rather sit on our idealistic "build a team through young players" pedestal and admire others' trophies...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #29
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
That's because some of us aren't greedy mercenaries. We'd rather sit on our idealistic "build a team through young players" pedestal and admire others' trophies...
You got that last part spot on QB.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #30
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

You know I tell it like it is... now go suck on Abramovich's oil-rich teet!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
I don't doubt that there are better ways to learn about the sport. I'm just wondering if the league concepts are represented well enough in this game to help me get a better understanding of it while also having fun. Again, I have enough knowledge about the match strategy, just wondering about the Manager Mode type of stuff.

Speaking of league concepts, how deep do the leagues go? In England, is it just the Premiership still or do they go deeper now? Are the German ones just the Bundesliga? etc. The last FIFA that I owned only had the teams from the highest level leagues available to control and threw in lower division teams for the cups and promotion stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #32
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
I don't doubt that there are better ways to learn about the sport. I'm just wondering if the league concepts are represented well enough in this game to help me get a better understanding of it while also having fun. Again, I have enough knowledge about the match strategy, just wondering about the Manager Mode type of stuff.

Speaking of league concepts, how deep do the leagues go? In England, is it just the Premiership still or do they go deeper now? Are the German ones just the Bundesliga? etc. The last FIFA that I owned only had the teams from the highest level leagues available to control and threw in lower division teams for the cups and promotion stuff.
The lower divisions (all 3) in England are in FIFA as well as a lower division of the Bundesliga.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »