Home

2010 FIFA World Cup Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on 2010 FIFA World Cup Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #113
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: 2010 FIFA World Cup Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
Skill ratings do not exist in the game. The game is about speed and strength. The more speed and strength you have on your squad, the more you win. That is why you get no individuality among players. Center backs can pass like midfielders. Strikers and tiny wing backs can tackle like DMs and center backs. Large center backs can chase down fast forwards with ease. Everyone on the field play like each other. And the better the team, the higher the speed and strength, the worse it gets.
I think this sums it up quite well. You can notice small differences based on individual player skills, particularly on the user team when playing without assisted controls. But for the most part, speed & strength still reign supreme. And the lack of differentiation in defensive ability with respect to ratings really discourages a more "tactical" game. It's more or less "if you can get near him, you can tackle him" no matter who you're controlling.

But it can still be a boatload of fun if you approach it the right way and make the best of it. Like many games (and life in general), garbage in equals garbage out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
A buddy of mine made the switch from FIFA to the PS3 and he said the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Man, I far prefer the PS3 version over the 360. I like the controls a lot better, especially the face buttons, which feel MUCH more responsive. But like you said, it could be a lot of just getting used to one over the other.
I'm really torn as to what to do. My 360 can only hold two games on the HDD and I cannot count on it to read discs at this point. I still play NHL & FIFA on it, so I'd have to sacrifice FIFA since my NHL OTP team would kill me if I bailed on them. So I guess I'm going to have to give WC a shot on PS3 and see if I adapt. Then I can make more informed decision on FIFA11 this fall.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #114
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

my spot just called me that they received the game. I'm gonna pick it up after work today. I'll post a video.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #115
Rookie

OVR: 5

I second your opinion on soccer and the World Cup demo.

PsN: Brownhornet34
Xbl: Brownhornet
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/green/Brownhornet.jpg
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #116
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
And you should doubt it. FIFA is what it is. It's arcade football. I know people will knock me for that and so on. So be it. It's arcade football with sick animations.

Skill ratings do not exist in the game. The game is about speed and strength. The more speed and strength you have on your squad, the more you win. That is why you get no individuality among players. Center backs can pass like midfielders. Strikers and tiny wing backs can tackle like DMs and center backs. Large center backs can chase down fast forwards with ease. Everyone on the field play like each other. And the better the team, the higher the speed and strength, the worse it gets.

And God forbid if you play anything above Professional.

And the God mode...*smh*

I know earlier it sounded like I was in love with FIFA. I like the demo alot. Because, I take it for what it is. At least they give me more freedom on the pitch and more fouls on the CPU.
See, I'm going to disagree with that. There's a good chance you know a lot more about real soccer than I do, and there is truth to what you're saying, but it's all relative. I came to prefer FIFA over games like NHL 10 specifically BECAUSE I felt it did a better job differentiating player skills. Perhaps it's not done in the way you like, but size, skill, and strength do play a huge role in how I use players.

Some of the unheralded skill categories (aggressiveness, stamina, etc.) play a huge role in the game. I have a defensive midfielder with a poor OVR rating, but I always put him in my lineup for big games because his aggressiveness is 90+ and he wins balls in the midfield constantly. I'm keeping FIFA 10, whether I get 2010 World Cup or not.

If the price is $40, it may be worth a look. It's just a little steep of a price unless there are noticeable gameplay improvements b/c you basically get a tournament mode in exchange for all of the manager mode stuff I love.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #117
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
See, I'm going to disagree with that. There's a good chance you know a lot more about real soccer than I do, and there is truth to what you're saying, but it's all relative. I came to prefer FIFA over games like NHL 10 specifically BECAUSE I felt it did a better job differentiating player skills. Perhaps it's not done in the way you like, but size, skill, and strength do play a huge role in how I use players.

Some of the unheralded skill categories (aggressiveness, stamina, etc.) play a huge role in the game. I have a defensive midfielder with a poor OVR rating, but I always put him in my lineup for big games because his aggressiveness is 90+ and he wins balls in the midfield constantly. I'm keeping FIFA 10, whether I get 2010 World Cup or not.
And I've had tiny, not-so-aggressive win the ball away from my highly skilled, bigger and more balanced CDM. With ease.

That's not skill differential. That is a terrible game engine. There is a reason EA went into the engine for the WC demo and, for the most part, cut that crap out.

Now, what I wonder and what is actually making me contemplate buying this game, is that the demo gives us just Italy and Spain. I want to see if how it works with lesser squads. If you can lose the ball more easily with lesser talent, then I will agree with you.

But, in FIFA 10, individual skills are not accounted for.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #118
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Oh...and saying stamina plays a huge role in FIFA 10 is just pure comedy.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #119
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
And I've had tiny, not-so-aggressive win the ball away from my highly skilled, bigger and more balanced CDM. With ease.

That's not skill differential. That is a terrible game engine. There is a reason EA went into the engine for the WC demo and, for the most part, cut that crap out.

Now, what I wonder and what is actually making me contemplate buying this game, is that the demo gives us just Italy and Spain. I want to see if how it works with lesser squads. If you can lose the ball more easily with lesser talent, then I will agree with you.

But, in FIFA 10, individual skills are not accounted for.
IMO I believe you can lose it easier with lesser teams. Although, maybe still not to the degree you may like. I have been playing with the US alot and then I did one of the scenarios with Brazil and it was a world of difference to me. I agree with you in that in Fifa 10 it didn't make much difference who you played with because it felt the same. I think in the WC game you do notice a difference IMO.

Last edited by ezio; 04-26-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #120
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
Oh...and saying stamina plays a huge role in FIFA 10 is just pure comedy.
It will make a difference if you play in a stadium that is at altitude. Otherwise, I agree with you

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »