Home

Game Enjoyment

This is a discussion on Game Enjoyment within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Game Enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontab
I use sliders almost identical to yours (thanks by the way, your sliders are fantastic). I tweaked a few things, one of which was the goalkeeper slider. I turned it down to 30, and honestly, i'm still seeing goalkeepers saving 90% of shots. It's better than leaving it at default to be sure, but it's definitely still a problem. The issue is also that when it's set lower like that, the keeper may still make a ton of saves but will sometimes give up an easy goal they otherwise wouldn't have. The slider doesn't influence correctly the frequency of saves, it seems like it only affects a small percentage of shots. I haven't tested it enough to see the degree of the effect, but trust me, it's very difficult to tweak that setting to make it realistic. In 9/10 games i play, the CPU goalkeeper is their man of the match, even with that slider on 30.
i found player ratings to be unbalanced, goal keeper will always get too high ratings no matter what. i have chosen to ignore this. imo they are super human at 50, but work well for me at 45. i don't see stupid mistakes and i don't see impossible saves. any lower and i think i would be having too much easy scores in long distance shots.

btw, very good post seawolf, agreed 100%
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #58
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonira
i found player ratings to be unbalanced, goal keeper will always get too high ratings no matter what. i have chosen to ignore this. imo they are super human at 50, but work well for me at 45. i don't see stupid mistakes and i don't see impossible saves. any lower and i think i would be having too much easy scores in long distance shots.

btw, very good post seawolf, agreed 100%
I got my CPU goalkeeper setting at 40 right now, which works pretty decent. Like I said earlier, your sliders have changed the game for the better for me (it was already going pretty great, so that's saying a lot). Kudos for your hard work on that.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #59
Banned

thank you

a big change i made yesterday and helped a lot in making ai attacks smarter was at the run frequency slider. i had them set at 49/34 for user/cpu, now have them at 51/51 and the game flow improved a lot imo.

Last edited by Gonira; 10-23-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #60
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonira
the two games never were so closely matched as they are this year. the feel is completely different between them, but both are fantastic games and you have to test them to choose which one you prefer.

i'd have to write an arcticle here if i had to compare the two. there's too much important things. test them, you'll be in good shape with any, they're the best football games ever released.
I was more interested in people that had both rage and FIFA. I already own pes and love the way it plays. I ended up picking up FIFA and after editing some sliders think it play a pretty solid game of footie. I was hesitant after playing the early release because of the fouls issue which killed the game for me, but playing on legendary with some of the slider suggestions on here has been great. Seeing a good number of fouls and I love the pace and control of shots in FIFA.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #61
Banned

oh, i didn't see you were asking about rage. just saw some video reviews of it. didn't impress me. looks clunky tbh. but i'm not a big fan of the genre.

Last edited by Gonira; 10-23-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #62
Rookie

EZ Esquire's Arena

OVR: 1

Everyone plays differently and you have to make a game that works for everyone. I do not envy making any game.

I found that going to legendary and adjusting sliders (all discussed above) does wonders.

I get fouled more as the CPU is aggressive. I get more slide tackles just as I pass the ball. Many times I simply stop and take the foul as the Advantage kicks in too much. More cards, etc. I do not get a lot of fouls but then I do not tackle all that much.

Defending in the box can seem hectic sometimes. The more you contain the more the CPU will shoot from outside (I get 5-6 a game from CPU). I find the best method for me is to use my AI players to contain while I cover the passing lanes or help trap the CPU. But you have to remember to continually switch guys. If you follow around the ball carrier with one player you will be pulled out of position. The slider setting will go a long way in determining when you intercept the ball.

I also use this method because if you simply stand in front of the CPU player holing A (Contain) then the CPU will eventually walk around you. You cannot just stand there holding A (Contain) all day long.

One key to remember is the player ratings. I noticed this a lot playing a lower level team. I had a very slow CB but he had a high intercept (pass awareness – forget the name) rating and his specially happen to be intercepting passes. He would get beat a lot but he also intercepted a huge amount of passes without me having to control him.

My first thought after getting beat so much was to change the speed sliders thinking my team was just too slow but after playing a bunch of games and looking over player rating I discovered he was very slow and had a very low ACC rating but was and old veteran and had the intercept (pass awareness) rating. The more I supported him the more passes he would intercept on his own.

Before you give up on a game consider looking at your individual player ratings. Do not adjust speed sliders only to find out all your players just happen to be slow.

People are not accustomed to playing this way in FIFA but I think it is the way to go. EA made similar changes in the NHL series. Instead of lining up hits from a mile away you had to start playing position D. I think changes will probably me made going forward to improve things but I do not think it makes the game unplayable.

Everyone also hates your AI players not doing anything…unfortunately the only fix here is to turn up the auto switch, which no one likes to do for good reason, or keep your hand on the switch button and be lightning fast.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #63
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
How are you guys enjoying the game? I want to like the game, I really do. I've tried sliders, different game modes, game play styles, custom tactics, game levels, basically everything I can to enjoy this game, but in the end, I always come away feeling disappointed or let down at certain aspects of the game, mainly with the gameplay. I've become fed up with the way that the CPU teams and players all play the same. Even lower level teams can pass the ball around like they're world class players, and dribble the same to. You close them down? Good job. They cut and move the ball on their feet like they're Messi. Such ball control and agility. It's kind of amusing to this point. What makes matters worse is that when defending, the defenders always seem to have a "pause" when changing direction, which I feel like they should, but combine that with the quickness and ball control of the CPU offense and it's game over. I can't tell you how many times I've locked opponents down, only to see them dribble there way backwards and pin point a pass to the box, have that player cut and dribble a little bit, turn, and shoot a dribbler from outside the box, and somehow beat my goalkeeper with it.

If you read all that, I applaud you. It was a lot. I hope you don't take me for a disgruntled casual gamer who is having troubles adjusting to TD or to the fact that you can't ping pong your way to goals anymore. That's not how I play. I play on all-manual, and have since FIFA 10. I play the game like it should be played, but the problem is, the game itself isn't built to represent the beautiful game of soccer. So trying to replicate that experience just results in failure and frustration on my part.

So, back to the original, honest, sincere, question: How are you able to enjoy the game? Mindsets, game play tips, anything would help. I don't want to give up on this game because I'm a gamer. I love sports/sports games. I'm just getting tired of these games being released that are supposed to represent their respective sport but fall short. Maybe my expectations are just too high, I don't know...

Thanks for reading
Seriously, if that is your main gripe, try PES. I'm a fan of both games for what they offer and IMO, PES is head and shoulders above FIFA in terms of gameplay. And no, not every team plays the same. On top of that, not all players feel the same. You feel the uniqueness in certain players based off of their best ratings/strengths.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #64
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
Heading to best buy now going to pick up this or rage. I am a pes guy normally and like this this year but FIFA was fun while I played the early release. Anyone with both have opinions
PES is the better one this year for me, but both games aren't bad purchases. One I use for online and one for offline.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »