Home

Do your players go to the ball? Ever?

This is a discussion on Do your players go to the ball? Ever? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Do your players go to the ball? Ever?

Just something that keeps bothering me ...

Player A (my team) passes to Player B (my team). Player B stands still and waits for the pass to reach him. Defender A (CPU team) runs toward the ball and intercepts the pass. Turnover.

Why does Player B stand around and wait?

Wouldn't he WANT to go to the ball? It is certainly more fun for him if he has the ball. Then maybe he could shoot and score ... and all the ladies would be totally into him. Or whatever ...

But seriously ... go to the GD ball!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Do your players go to the ball? Ever?

def a pet peeve...ur def not alone. i dont get why the ai is so brain dead until they get the ball. passes, loose balls, u name it, they just sit and wait and stand around and also let the cpu move right in front of them without even attempting a stand tackle or anything. i dont get it....but it always keeps me switching to do all the work.
----------------------
Madden Since '92
Old 12-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMurda
but it always keeps me switching to do all the work.
But isn't that the point of playing the game? Last thing I'd want is a game like the MLB 2K series where my CPU-controlled players run around the field catching and diving for balls without the slightest user input from me.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Pro

But the "switching" does not work on offense ... I cannot control the player who is receiving the pass ... he just stands there watching. And then, after the turnover, I am now on defense and I can switch ... but too late!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
But the "switching" does not work on offense ... I cannot control the player who is receiving the pass ... he just stands there watching. And then, after the turnover, I am now on defense and I can switch ... but too late!
Okay, now I'm confused. I play with manual controls, including manual switching. When I pass the ball to a teammate, I can immediately switch to the player receiving the ball, and run towards the oncoming pass to intercept it. And to make sure I'm not just imagining all that, I just loaded up a practice game and passed the ball around between my back 4 defenders, switching from player to player with no issue whatsoever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Pro

I am also all-manual ...

How do you do the switch? Same as on defense?

Does this allow you to react in time (before the CPU gets there)?

It is particularly frustrating for me in attack ... when I make a pass into the box ... and I really wish my teammate would run toward the ball ... and make some effort to retain possession.

I would certainly appreciate any help with this. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
But isn't that the point of playing the game? Last thing I'd want is a game like the MLB 2K series where my CPU-controlled players run around the field catching and diving for balls without the slightest user input from me.
my prob is mainly the loose balls i mentioned. i have no prob doing all the work to a point...i mean this is 11 on 11 after all tho. i cant possibly be every place i need to be at every second. im not asking for them to do everything but they can at least swarm the ball and take steps in the right direction to help me when i switch. if my guy im using taps the ball away from a cpu attacker and it goes within 5 ft of one of my other defensive guys and 10ft of cpu guys, my guy stands there and does NOTHING while the cpu immediately closes in!! this shouldnt happen. i have to hurry up and manually switch and try to beat all the other cpu attackers who hurry to the ball immediately. the cpu guys will have built up acceleration in their favor so u will most likely lose that ball ur guy coulda clearly beat them to if he took a few steps in the right direction and then i can take over and grab the ball.

deflections off the goalie and goal post, same exact thing. i take the shot with my guy im controlling of course, the cpu is swarming the deflection...my cpu guys are chilling flat footed instead of rushing in the right direction for the clean up. it takes a hot second or so to hurry and switch to the right guy to try to get cleanup, but the cpu defenders already have a headstart as theyre steadily after the ball...good luck on getting to the ball for a deflection putback.

in the end, quite honestly i cant remotely understand how anyone can not clearly see how ur team does alot of ball watching while the cpu does alot of ball hawking.
----------------------
Madden Since '92

Last edited by MMurda; 12-13-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
I am also all-manual ...

How do you do the switch? Same as on defense?
When passing the ball between teammates on the back line, I have no trouble switching to the receiving player immediately after passing to him. In fact, the game pretty much auto-switches to my receiving player the moment I pass the ball. I'm then able to move the receiving player towards the ball in an effort to intercept the pass.

But I do notice that when I'm attacking further up the pitch, my teammates, even after I've switched control, don't necessarily respond immediately to my user input. Yes, they do tend to "stand there waiting," even if the icon over their head shows I'm supposed to have control over their movement. Now, when that happens, it does seem that re-hitting the LB allows me to then take full control, after which I'm then able to move the player.

Maybe try some testing. Start a game and just pass the ball back and forth between your back line players. Note how much control you have over them, and if you're able to switch and move players toward the oncoming pass. Like I said, I seem to have no trouble with that. Then try the same thing in different areas of the pitch and see if you still have the same degree of user control or not.

Last edited by peigone; 12-13-2011 at 05:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »