Home

Premiere League Championship... How is it decided?

This is a discussion on Premiere League Championship... How is it decided? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Premiere League Championship... How is it decided?

The whole soccer picking a champion system is really interesting and what's just as interesting to me is the relegation system. There is an incentive it seems in soccer to try to place ahead of where you currently are, except for of course if you are at the top of the table. Some spots on the table will get you an automatic champions league or Europa qualifier, you will be relegated or survive, etc. There seems to be an incentive for each game, of course not every game, but it seems as though games mean more for teams not in the thick of the championship race than it does in american sports. Being last in the Premier league will get you relegated, while in the NBA and other American sports it will increase your likelihood to get a player with great potential.

With lower tier teams like Bradford City, the FA cup becomes a great opportunity to play against top tier teams. For them it's there super bowl. For a mid tier premier side, winning the league might not even be there goal, maybe a strong finish in the domestic cup or playing into a spot in the Europa league is there goal.

In respect for the need for playoffs in the premier league, I think the fact both teams play each other home and away and the grueling schedule of soccer provides enough opportunities to separate the best team. For example, both Man City and Manchester United know when they will face each other and can pit their starting XI's against each other and make those guys must win games.

Playoff systems in American sports are unnecessary in their scope, but they are needed. What I mean is from a sheer marketing perspective, having 16 NBA teams in the playoffs and make it a two month event is good for business, but it might not lead to the two best teams playing each other every year. Baseball is another example. I think the winners from each league should just meet in the world series, 162 games is enough to determine who the best teams have been, it is a large enough sample size.

I think the exclusion of playoffs in the premier league is the right call, the team at the top of the table is the best team as they have survived competition against the top teams in the world and have come out on top.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
MVP

UK0wnag3's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerg1234
Agreed Broncos. I remember watching Wolves celebrate like they won the championship when they beat relegation on the last day of the season a few years ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Can't say I remember Wolves, but I'll always remember Hull city, a year after they beat my team in the playoff final, staying up on the final day after playing Manchester United (I always wondered if it could've been us).

But after the game, I'll always remember Phil Brown singing "Sloop John B" on the pitch. Awesome stuff.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtH6GsVQ0CA
Arizona Cardinals
Phoenix Suns
Twitter
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
I didn't say it sucks. I just asked if it was true.

Do I like it? No. It's not the American way of doing things. We like the underdog. We like to see teams rise up and defeat a "better" team.

If that were the case here then the year the Giants beat the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl the game would have never happened. The Cowboys were the best team in the NFC that year and lost to the Giants too.

The Texas Rangers would be two time World Series Champs.

Hockey ALWAYS has someone rise up.

We see the BCS as the worst invention in the world. That still allows two teams to play for the Championship though.

I'm cool with it being that way. I'm enjoying playing FIFA but I would be lying if I said I was not a bit disappointed. I was looking forward to a end of year World Cup type tournament or something. Guess that does not exist.

I understand the argument that it makes it more exciting for the entire season but that is what college football claims... and that system is changing because it is flawed.

So does everyone play the exact same schedule then? You would have to if the entire Championship is decided on a points system otherwise it would not be fair.

Obviously soccer fans enjoy a good tournament. The World Cup is AWESOME. Why not end the year with the top teams playing in a smaller format tournament? Then the excitement of the "Last Day" would last weeks.
Ok I MAY have gotten a bit carried away. Just maybe lol no but yea you don't have playoffs, however you'll have the English cup, (not sure of the proper name) where it's a knockout tournament but EVERYONE in the league qualifies. Loads of underdogs there. Even better, if you finish the league in the top 4 or 5 or if you finish #1, you qualify for the Champions Cup, now THAT beats any playoff tournament any time of the year. It's basically the best out of each European league, hence the name champions cup. Not sure how our college leagues handle their formats, but if you look at the European football formats, it's far from flawed.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #20

jvalverde88's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
Watch this and then tell me that format sucks.

Spoiler

Quote:
Never let fear determine who you are. Never let where you came from determine where you are going.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
Rookie

Nieb498's Arena

One of the great differences in European football vs Amerian sports is that every games counts, every point is important. Just as an example, in my BVB CM with a Champions League semi final first leg vs Juventes mid week I decided to rotate some player so they would be fresh that game. I figured it was only Guether Furth and even a mix of first and second team players should be able to handle it. 90 minutes later as the ref blew his finally peep peep peeeeeep and the game ended in a 1-1 draw all I could think to myself was f&@", I just gave Bayern 2 stinking points on me. It wasn't a oh well guess I'll be playing the 7 seed instead of the 8, it mattered, and it's going to bite me in the rear come season end unless I win out. I lost my cushion and maybe the Bundesliga title, not just a meaningless playoff spot
Don't get me wrong, I love baseball and I love the 162 game grind of it, but it doesn't feel like that mid July game against the Rockies means anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #22
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

I wouldn't change the current European football model for anything, it's just about as perfect as you can get. Having Champions from different leagues/divisions battle it out to crown a supreme champion is one thing, allowing sub .500 clubs into a bloated playoff system just for the sake of raising league revenue is quite another.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #23
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9

So I talked to m brother in law who is English. He explained the cup system to me and I see how that is pretty awesome.

Still wish there was a Super Bowl type Championship but Im good.
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
MLB: Texas Rangers
NCAA: Baylor

Producer/Graphic Artist/Animator-CBS
Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
So I talked to m brother in law who is English. He explained the cup system to me and I see how that is pretty awesome.

Still wish there was a Super Bowl type Championship but Im good.
There is.... Well, not really because its like 20,000 times bigger than your "football" Super Bowl. Lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »