Home

Skill Moves for the Masses (vs AI opponents)

This is a discussion on Skill Moves for the Masses (vs AI opponents) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7
Skill Moves for the Masses (vs AI opponents)

I probably write about this on a near-annual basis, but given the difference in this year's gameplay, here goes for FIFA '14!

Last year, I could depend on (to a cheesy degree) using total control dribbling and the sprint button to create space or flat out nutmeg opponents.

That's no longer viable, which is a good thing because it was never that realistic. However, when I am in control of a decent dribbler, there are moments where I'd love to be able to create just an ounce of separation and extra time to get off a shot or pick out a pass in traffic.

Can somebody recommend two or three very simple dribbling maneuvers that are working well in FIFA '14? I'm explicitly not interested in rainbows or 360 spin type crap because I'm a stickler for realism and very few quality footballers ever attempt that sort of nonsense.

Thanks guys!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Skill Moves for the Masses (vs AI opponents)

Try to learn some change of direction moves like the McGeady Turn or the Ronaldo chop. The defense has to obey momentum this year, so if you keep yourself under control speed-wise, and use a quick change of direction move, it will by you space and time to make the next pass. I find that the key is not getting to close to the defender and planning what where I want the ball to go next. It does help to really know how fast your guy is and what his passing and ball control abilities are. I find myself losing so much possession by trying to make a pass with Danny Welbeck that he can't make. If I'm running down the wing with him and the defender catches me, I have to hit the brakes or try to knock it on. He can't pass to save his life. It's a big crapshoot on crosses. Never know where it will come down and to who. Now if I'm playing Nani out wide, different story. He can break down the man in any way that I can think of, normally by breaking down the man with a skill move that turns the defender. (i.e. chop or turn.)

The drag back is a powerful weapon, too. It buys you space. It's pretty simple to learn. I use it to get my dribble going and find open players. Simple rollovers work well, especially when you are moving. That's really a big key,too. You have to always be doing a move that is going to break the defense. Whether backwards, or forwards. The window to decide is a lot smaller this year. You have to read where the next pass is before the D gets close. If you are seeing the D head your way, go backwards or in whatever direction gets you a chance at getting the next pass off. Also, I've found it helps to view the RT as a skill move in itself. As well as the RS knock on. Both have risk and reward. Rightly timed, and with a one on one situation,you get that last burst to actually stay out of the suction animation. Wrong timing, and with a helping defense, ball is twenty feet ahead in the helping defenders lap. Don't be afraid to pull up short on the long run that used to let you spam the LB/RB. As others have said, you tire pretty quick on the long sprints this year. And they seem to have finally gotten that a man without the ball is faster than the guy with it, among those with similar speed ratings.

I love getting down the wing with Valencia, cutting inside and hitting the through man. Also, I'll try to work inside and read if my CF has drifted wide. Then I tend to have a clumped D in the middle and have some options to my ST or CF out wide. I can try a curved shot or a pass over the D for a header. Also, I can make them react and hit my CM who is setting up outside of the 18. I think that this year, more than ever, you actually have to have a plan. One that has multiple options. And skill moves are a huge part of helping you open up your options. Simple, properly timed moves. The rest is for the arena. Just get about 4-5 moves that you can do without thinking, and lay off the speed burst, and you'll be fine. Might have dissect some of the skill moves vids I've downloaded and splice together a "Skill moves for the masses" vid. I like that title!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 09-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

Just being lighter on the left stick movement helps a lot. In fact you can actually see the CPU back off you a little bit when you make very subtle moves on the left stick. Any quick moves to the right or left (perspective based) on the stick means the momentum engine comes into play and you make a big, time consuming dig into the turf with your boot to make a hard cut and the CPU says thank you and takes the ball away.

Liberal use of LB to slow down and then RT to speed up. LT is a weird bird and I still don't understand exactly when or where it works.

LT and LB together worked for me for 4-5 possessions one game and then it was almost as if the ai learned I was doing this and started stopping it.

As far as anything on the rs goes I don't do much. But I am thinking more about being just as subtle on the r stick as the l and see what happens.

One thing I desperately want is a jump or hop move because the CPU lunge tackle could then be exploited more. And since the toe poke is what the CPU does 99% of the time defensively either knocking the ball forward and jumping or actually lifting the ball slightly (which any player who has played soccer/futbol is capable of doing) into the air and forward over their foot would be a great counter to their highly successful poking.

I have seen the player with the ball jump in the fifa preview videos but it always was associated off of an animation that worked with the defender slide tackling. I want to do it when we are both standing.

Anyone know how to scoop the ball forward with the controller?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Oh and of course face up dribbling with LT and RT.

Writing about a scoop move...this is what I want on the r stick.

Hold it up and I scoop/lift the ball

Hold it up + right/left and I scoop those directions

Hold it right and I drag or roll it right contextually

Same holding left

Hold it down and I execute a pull back

Hold it down + right/left I pull or drag it those directions.

Next any of those coupled with a qtr spin gives me cruyff turn variations.

As it stands now there are no moves holding up or down on the right stick for the majority of the players. And why is the simplest of moves, the drag back, a two button combo and only while standing?

Last edited by BL8001; 09-28-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Posting these for people without the manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (388.9 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by BL8001; 09-28-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
MVP

BL8001's Arena

When I played one of the better and more devastating (particularly in close quarters) moves you could do was this;

Left arm up to fend people off - shield button

Left foot on the ground and right foot on top/side/under ball - right stick down

Now from that position you could drag it back going sideways, you could scoop it forward the way you were facing or tuck it in by rolling your right foot over the ball and bringing it and the ball back behind you.

I can't do this in fifa but I could with my r stick system I posted above.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Try to learn some change of direction moves like the McGeady Turn or the Ronaldo chop. The defense has to obey momentum this year, so if you keep yourself under control speed-wise, and use a quick change of direction move, it will by you space and time to make the next pass. I find that the key is not getting to close to the defender and planning what where I want the ball to go next. It does help to really know how fast your guy is and what his passing and ball control abilities are. I find myself losing so much possession by trying to make a pass with Danny Welbeck that he can't make. If I'm running down the wing with him and the defender catches me, I have to hit the brakes or try to knock it on. He can't pass to save his life. It's a big crapshoot on crosses. Never know where it will come down and to who. Now if I'm playing Nani out wide, different story. He can break down the man in any way that I can think of, normally by breaking down the man with a skill move that turns the defender. (i.e. chop or turn.)

The drag back is a powerful weapon, too. It buys you space. It's pretty simple to learn. I use it to get my dribble going and find open players. Simple rollovers work well, especially when you are moving. That's really a big key,too. You have to always be doing a move that is going to break the defense. Whether backwards, or forwards. The window to decide is a lot smaller this year. You have to read where the next pass is before the D gets close. If you are seeing the D head your way, go backwards or in whatever direction gets you a chance at getting the next pass off. Also, I've found it helps to view the RT as a skill move in itself. As well as the RS knock on. Both have risk and reward. Rightly timed, and with a one on one situation,you get that last burst to actually stay out of the suction animation. Wrong timing, and with a helping defense, ball is twenty feet ahead in the helping defenders lap. Don't be afraid to pull up short on the long run that used to let you spam the LB/RB. As others have said, you tire pretty quick on the long sprints this year. And they seem to have finally gotten that a man without the ball is faster than the guy with it, among those with similar speed ratings.

I love getting down the wing with Valencia, cutting inside and hitting the through man. Also, I'll try to work inside and read if my CF has drifted wide. Then I tend to have a clumped D in the middle and have some options to my ST or CF out wide. I can try a curved shot or a pass over the D for a header. Also, I can make them react and hit my CM who is setting up outside of the 18. I think that this year, more than ever, you actually have to have a plan. One that has multiple options. And skill moves are a huge part of helping you open up your options. Simple, properly timed moves. The rest is for the arena. Just get about 4-5 moves that you can do without thinking, and lay off the speed burst, and you'll be fine. Might have dissect some of the skill moves vids I've downloaded and splice together a "Skill moves for the masses" vid. I like that title!
Awesome awesome post. One of the best I've read this week.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Awesome awesome post. One of the best I've read this week.
Thanks. From you that means a lot.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »