Home

w/ NHL:LE's shutdown soon, any way to d/l official roster updates?

This is a discussion on w/ NHL:LE's shutdown soon, any way to d/l official roster updates? within the EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2022, 01:07 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: w/ NHL:LE's shutdown soon, any way to d/l official roster updates?

Might seem like a silly question, but are you using a .txt editor to open games.conf, like Notepad or Notepad++? (You might have to right-click and use the "Open With..." option from the right-click menu.) Because it should definitely not have any HTML =p Sounds like its extension might've gotten associated by another program.

The games.conf file is just a text document with an entry for each game to tell Bruteforce a particular hash key it needs for each individual game. You might try uninstalling and re-installing Bruteforce from a fresh download, this one is the one I used. Another option, if you plan to do any roster editing, you can also use NHLViewNG, since (IIRC - not 100% sure) its download includes a games.conf file for all the NHL games (you don't need any of the asset packs, if you do download it).
Old 03-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncicfan77
Might seem like a silly question, but are you using a .txt editor to open games.conf, like Notepad or Notepad++?
Yes.

I installed a fresh copy of Bruteforce Save Data using your link. The games.conf file looks as expected until I open it where it gets rewritten into html code and the program doesn't function properly, creating the same scenario. The games.conf.bak that Notepad++ creates still has the stuff as it was before opening Bruteforce Save Data.

So I did it again and made the games.conf file read-only so that weird transformation of the file could not happen. The process finally seems to work as expected but the rosters do not seem to have changed. I even tried loading the roster file which has the proper name (Better Than EA Rosters) and time stamp for when I had pasted it into the file system but the players in the rosters do not appear to have changed despite the rosters being from Molifox's 08-31-2021, 04:23 post. I am unsure if I've copied the wrong files (all of them) or copied them to the wrong place (\RPCS3\dev_hdd0\home\00000001\savedata\BLUS315400 200) but given the name and timestamp appear in the game I'm not sure what went wrong.

Last edited by iambanana; 03-21-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:27 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambanana
Yes.

I installed a fresh copy of Bruteforce Save Data using your link. The games.conf file looks as expected until I open it where it gets rewritten into html code and the program doesn't function properly, creating the same scenario. The games.conf.bak that Notepad++ creates still has the stuff as it was before opening Bruteforce Save Data.

So I did it again and made the games.conf file read-only so that weird transformation of the file could not happen. The process finally seems to work as expected but the rosters do not seem to have changed. I even tried loading the roster file which has the proper name (Better Than EA Rosters) and time stamp for when I had pasted it into the file system but the players in the rosters do not appear to have changed despite the rosters being from Molifox's 08-31-2021, 04:23 post. I am unsure if I've copied the wrong files (all of them) or copied them to the wrong place (\RPCS3\dev_hdd0\home\00000001\savedata\BLUS315400 200) but given the name and timestamp appear in the game I'm not sure what went wrong.
Follow-up! The issue you were having with games.conf sounded so strange and random that I had no idea what the issue could be, but I was just now experimenting a little bit, and found that when I opened games.conf through Bruteforce itself (i.e. right-click -> Settings -> Open games.conf), I also got a bunch of random HTML! This seems to be a bug in Bruteforce, no idea why it happens, but I can only reproduce it when I specifically open the file through Bruteforce. It does screw up your games.conf file, though, so without running Bruteforce, try just opening games.conf directly like an ordinary file, in your Bruteforce install folder. You may need to right-click -> Open With Notepad++ if Windows doesn't recognize the .conf extension, or tries to open it with Bruteforce by default.

If it's still bugged with the HTML stuff—for me it was, after I had opened it through Bruteforce and triggered the bug—you can just delete it and replace it with the backup (i.e., after deleting the bugged games.conf, rename games.conf.bak to games.conf). The backup shouldn't be bugged, and at this point you should have a working games.conf file, which you can add the Legacy Edition entry to, if it still doesn't have it. You shouldn't need to set it to read-only if you make sure never to open it through Bruteforce, but as long as it has the Legacy Edition data and isn't glitched, it should work fine either way. I'd avoid opening it through Bruteforce just to be safe though; if you need to open it again, I'd just keep opening it directly like a normal text file.

The other thing I wanted to mention, though: I also tried molifox's 8/31 roster file several months ago, since it was the most recent one I could find at the time, but like many people in that thread and yourself, I could never get it to work with Bruteforce. Like another user in that thread (mattrock123 in the thread's post #123), the most recent roster file I got working was Reff99's 1/25/2021 post here. The savedata location you mentioned is correct, and you don't even need to replace the individual files; the BLUS315400200 (/201/202/etc.) folders are the actual roster saves, so you can just drop the entire BLUS315400202 folder directly into dev_hdd0\home\00000001\savedata. If you already have a BLUS315400202 roster already working with RPCS3, though, don't replace it with the download, but rename it to something like "BLUS315400202 old" before dropping the new -202 folder into \savedata.

The reason for this is that we use Bruteforce to decrypt the downloaded roster (which is encrypted to only work with its original PS3), unlock the save to work with any PS3, re-encrypt and rebuild it, THEN copy its now-unlocked SYS-DATA into the old BLUS315400202 roster file that already works with our personal RPCS3 install (replacing the old SYS-DATA file in the original save). Then you can just delete/rename/move the downloaded roster file whose SYS-DATA we decrypted & borrowed, so you can re-name the original save back to BLUS315400202 with its new SYS-DATA, ready to be loaded in-game. We're basically tricking the (emulated) PS3 into thinking it originally created the save data we want to use, so we need our own existing roster file with the same filename that already works with RPCS3.

If you just copy the download to your savedata folder, without decrypting and copying its contents to a native save file, the game will still show you the roster file, with the "Better Than EA" name and all, it will just give you a corrupt file error message if you try to load it.

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been playing much lately so it didn't occur to me to see what was going on here on the boards. Hopefully you've already gotten it straightened out, but if not and you happen to see this, I don't mind trying to help with any other roadblocks that come up.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters »