Home

NHL 09 PS3 Patch Released - Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 09 PS3 Patch Released - Impressions within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #41
Banned

dce21b's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 09 PS3 Patch Released - Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I think what you're describing is the tie-up animation in front of the net, correct? If so, you can do that by pressing the hook/tie-up (Y on 360, triangle on PS3?) button when you're close to a player in front. It doesn't always happen, but you can do it manually...
This is correct you can also pin against the boards as well. good along the half boards and behind the net. You have to time it well and be in good position.

Same goes for hooking from behind. It seems they toned down the drag down animation resulting in a pentaly and you can use it more for a disruption now.

If I were u just practice against AI. Dont repeatedly tap y or Triangle. You have to time it right and if chasing down an opponent you have to be almost right to his side.

Hooking/holding is a great defensive tool for me and surprisingly not alot of people use it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #42
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy
Something penalty wise I have only seen post patch is this. Offsetting minors! Dude took an interference penalty and my guy smoked him after while the puck wasn't there and got one too! Great stuff!
I am pretty sure that this was in pre patch, you could get a penalty yourself when the other team got one which would put both of you in the box. Are you saying that you wont go to the box if both teams have a penalty????
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 2

I played a few online games 1v1 with the new patch last night (PS3) and am loving it. A greater variety of goals seem to be happening and it's great to see all the blatant interferences called. I was playing a league game against a friend of mine and we were shocked to get 3 penalties each in the first period. We finally figured out what was going on and quit cheating as much, I will have to break some bad habits but I am NOT complaining, it's great to see the blatant interferences as well as iffy poke checks and stick lifts called. It's also nice to see all the post release support as well. Just say that there will be multiplayer franchise in NHL2010/10/whatever it will be called and it will be a day 1 purchase for me. The player freezing on one timers bug is the only thing left that really annoys me but good work overall EA!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I am pretty sure that this was in pre patch, you could get a penalty yourself when the other team got one which would put both of you in the box. Are you saying that you wont go to the box if both teams have a penalty????
Never happened to me online before ever. It seemed you could do almost anything during a delayed penalty.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #45
Rookie

PaddyOReilly's Arena

OVR: 5

Well I've played a few games now and here are some of my impressions and general comments, bearing in mind I play Pro level offline.

Firstly I do love how the penalties have been changed. I'm taking the right kind of penalties for the situation and both me and the CPU are having a good variety. I also noticed how the hit power seems to have also changed in that I see fewer sprawling hits and more bumps. I still occasionally take an interference call when I've taken my finger off of L2 but not before the right stick has gone back to the middle.

A slight concern though is that defence now seems like a vacuum occasionally. The players don't want to check other players and are also less inclined to poke as well, leaving me in a waiting game to get the puck back. This is not just me though as one instance I saw the CPU defenseman stand still and watch as I moved in on the goalie to deke past him; although I will admit this was the most blatant example. It would seem that pre patch the guy would have moved in to check me but now is caught in two minds as to what to do.

Another worry I have is that with the reduction in both hits and power will we actually see an increase in dynasty injuries in player games or will it be the same situation as previous with the benchmarks moved. Only time will tell on that one.

Finally I come to the goalies, which to me are still a love/hate relationship. The last game I played I managed to score from near the blueline with a defender, which I love. However the goalies are now back to where they were in the beginning in that if you're going head on then the goalie is screwed; whether it be a slapper through the five hole or a wrister right into the very top corners. This has made them really weak, my last game ended 9-5 to me (Avs versus Blackhawks).

So in conclusion: Penalties = Yay, Goalies = Boo, Injuries = ?.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyOReilly
Well I've played a few games now and here are some of my impressions and general comments, bearing in mind I play Pro level offline.

Firstly I do love how the penalties have been changed. I'm taking the right kind of penalties for the situation and both me and the CPU are having a good variety. I also noticed how the hit power seems to have also changed in that I see fewer sprawling hits and more bumps. I still occasionally take an interference call when I've taken my finger off of L2 but not before the right stick has gone back to the middle.

A slight concern though is that defence now seems like a vacuum occasionally. The players don't want to check other players and are also less inclined to poke as well, leaving me in a waiting game to get the puck back. This is not just me though as one instance I saw the CPU defenseman stand still and watch as I moved in on the goalie to deke past him; although I will admit this was the most blatant example. It would seem that pre patch the guy would have moved in to check me but now is caught in two minds as to what to do.

Another worry I have is that with the reduction in both hits and power will we actually see an increase in dynasty injuries in player games or will it be the same situation as previous with the benchmarks moved. Only time will tell on that one.

Finally I come to the goalies, which to me are still a love/hate relationship. The last game I played I managed to score from near the blueline with a defender, which I love. However the goalies are now back to where they were in the beginning in that if you're going head on then the goalie is screwed; whether it be a slapper through the five hole or a wrister right into the very top corners. This has made them really weak, my last game ended 9-5 to me (Avs versus Blackhawks).

So in conclusion: Penalties = Yay, Goalies = Boo, Injuries = ?.
play on all-star and you should be fine.
i love what they did with the goalies
Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I think what you're describing is the tie-up animation in front of the net, correct? If so, you can do that by pressing the hook/tie-up (Y on 360, triangle on PS3?) button when you're close to a player in front. It doesn't always happen, but you can do it manually...
yup- thats the animation.
Ive tried the hook button, and I dont think Ive gotten it to work yet. It should go into that animation every time you hit the button. Like the stick lift button.
Hopefully they fix that for next season. I loved how it was in nhl 2004
Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #48
LP
Johnny Canuck

LP's Arena

OVR: 19

Just out of curiosity, how do I trigger the standing shot block animation?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »