Home

Glenn's In pursuit of realism sliders

This is a discussion on Glenn's In pursuit of realism sliders within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Glenn's In pursuit of realism sliders

@Bleacher Creature....I love the way you think man, I so wish that would happen but unfortunately we're left to test and test and test and test to get maybe 5% like the real thing. I do understand it's a game and it won't be perfect. I'm insane though, I like to tinker and tinker to get it right. Or at least my right.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #74
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spragga
Keep up the work man...i've driven myself crazy with sliders since it's release, i need to be happy with something soon...hahah

Thanks Spragga! yeah lol i've found myself some nights going crazy over this and i'll also be at work thinking about it like this "okay okay when I get home if I could just change that it should affect that which in turn may affect another thing and it could make the game realistic or not and then and then and then"
Old 10-25-2018, 07:18 AM   #75
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

It’s just the constant tinkering that takes the fun out of the game. We shouldn’t have to do that. Totally different company and sport but take MLB the Show as an example. I only had to adjust 3 sliders to get the game near perfect for me. The NHL series needs that in the worst way. And then once you get everything set they release a patch or tuner that completely screws up everything we’ve spent weeks trying to perfect. Every year I hope it’s different, but it doesn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #76
Rookie

Currently testing passing specific sliders, first test will be puck speed reception effect at 50 from 0. I believe attributes of the players have no bearing on it so it should be noticeable right off the bat.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #77
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherCreature
It’s just the constant tinkering that takes the fun out of the game. We shouldn’t have to do that. Totally different company and sport but take MLB the Show as an example. I only had to adjust 3 sliders to get the game near perfect for me. The NHL series needs that in the worst way. And then once you get everything set they release a patch or tuner that completely screws up everything we’ve spent weeks trying to perfect. Every year I hope it’s different, but it doesn’t happen.

It does take the fun out of the game and I feel like a developer now trying to figure out what the sliders actually do. You nailed that on the head perfectly though, I've always loved MLB the Show for this reason being out of the box that game is a well oiled machine that only needs minor tweaks along the way. Saying beta NHL 19 was amazing is a broken record now, but it's ultimately kinda true. That's why I am scared to change the tuner...I have spent hours perfecting little things like accel or player speed, I just don't want to waste it.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #78
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarman99
Currently testing passing specific sliders, first test will be puck speed reception effect at 50 from 0. I believe attributes of the players have no bearing on it so it should be noticeable right off the bat.

It's doing nothing right off the bat, there must be another slider that works in conjunction with this one.

*Update - not sure why I quoted myself....see see I'm already going crazy

Okay, I put puck speed reception effect to 100 for me and it did nothing. So then, I raised puck control rating effect and I saw weird pick up animations, odd pass receptions, and just overall ugliness. Don't play with that slider...I immediately moved puck control rating effect back down to 0. I think that slider does mess with the attributes which in turn could mess with the physics. I'm just looking to create realistic/accurate situations where if the puck is rocketed to the other player at close range it has more chances of glancing off the stick.

Last edited by nascarman99; 10-25-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #79
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

If I remember correctly any demo version of NHL always seemed to be better than the actual final release. Not sure if they do that just to get everyone interested then make a few minor tweaks to make us think it’s something new. It’s just so frustrating because I feel like the potential for a really good game is there, it just takes hours and hours and hours of finding the right settings.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #80
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarman99
It's doing nothing right off the bat, there must be another slider that works in conjunction with this one.

*Update - not sure why I quoted myself....see see I'm already going crazy

Has to be the actual pass speed sliders. Maybe try keeping them the same value, or somewhere close. I know it’s only one reception slider going with 3 different pass speeds so maybe the average of those 3? I can’t believe I’m thinking this clearly after only 2 hours of sleep last night.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »