Home

I’m honestly loving NHL23 Positivity Thread

This is a discussion on I’m honestly loving NHL23 Positivity Thread within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: I’m honestly loving NHL23 Positivity Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Coach
What is the benefit of not starting the 1st line in any game?
Lifelong NHL fan....old enough to remember when starting a GRIND LINE vs OPPONENTS TOP LINE was "new!" lol

Some coaches deploy a " shut down" line to key against the opponents First Line, to grind down and sqaush the enemys high skill guys--generally make it a miserable night for the Stars.
To do this your shut down line has to be BIG, GRITTY, FAST and diligent in the Defensive aspects.
A recent example of such a line was Minnesota Wilds 2021-22 line usually containing Foligno (big physical winger) & Erick. Ek (Crafty, irratable, but good D play and general pian in the @rse) --that would disrupt endlessly, and if i recall...didnt yield a even strength Goal until Feb/March?

Every team has such lines, but some are better than others at stoping the enemys skilled guys....even better, when the checking line can also produce offence too (such as the St Louis Blues 3rd line last year)
Generally all the players are skillfull but the checking lines are made up from the teams "hardest workers", as the saying goes "will defeats skill" (meaning that most of the "flash and dash superstars" are not always the best workers.

It dosnt always work of course, players like Sydney Crosby are more than happy to play a "trench game " too (which I think was what made Crosby so difficult to match up against...the only real player I ever seen constantly throw #87 off his game was retired Blue Jackets Brandon Dubinsky)
Crosby, despite his skill and astonishing vision, usually wins regardless because he generally out-works most of his opponents.

Another player "unfazed" by "match ups" is Capitals Alexander Ovechkin, who due to his size (belive me, hes much much bigger than what you perceive) knows he can physically out match anyone anyway, so all the enemy can do is remove Ovies "time and space".

Hope I have been able to help a little, always happy to talk Hockey

Last edited by johnnydrum; 10-23-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2022, 02:47 PM   #26
Banned

Head Coach's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PernellKarl076
To add to what everyone already answered, sometimes the coach will start a line on the road where he has players born in the city that they are playing… Let’s say the Lightning have a line with a couple of players born in Montreal or near the area, if they play at the Bell Center, he might start these guys, cause he knows they will be pumped and it's also a way to show the players that he recognizes this… Players appreciate that also…

As an example, Yanni Gourde, Mathieu Joseph and friends, for old timers, Vinny Lecavalier and Martin St-Louis ( Probably already on the 1st. these guys but hey !) 😉
Thanks for the answer. I didn't know Hockey coaches did that. I will have to look at the game again to see if they say why Cooper started that line.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #27
Banned

Head Coach's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum
Lifelong NHL fan....old enough to remember when starting a GRIND LINE vs OPPONENTS TOP LINE was "new!" lol

Some coaches deploy a " shut down" line to key against the opponents First Line, to grind down and sqaush the enemys high skill guys--generally make it a miserable night for the Stars.
To do this your shut down line has to be BIG, GRITTY, FAST and diligent in the Defensive aspects.
A recent example of such a line was Minnesota Wilds 2021-22 line usually containing Foligno (big physical winger) & Erick. Ek (Crafty, irratable, but good D play and general pian in the @rse) --that would disrupt endlessly, and if i recall...didnt yield a even strength Goal until Feb/March?

Every team has such lines, but some are better than others at stoping the enemys skilled guys....even better, when the checking line can also produce offence too (such as the St Louis Blues 3rd line last year)
Generally all the players are skillfull but the checking lines are made up from the teams "hardest workers", as the saying goes "will defeats skill" (meaning that most of the "flash and dash superstars" are not always the best workers.

It dosnt always work of course, players like Sydney Crosby are more than happy to play a "trench game " too (which I think was what made Crosby so difficult to match up against...the only real player I ever seen constantly throw #87 off his game was retired Blue Jackets Brandon Dubinsky)
Crosby, despite his skill and astonishing vision, usually wins regardless because he generally out-works most of his opponents.

Another player "unfazed" by "match ups" is Capitals Alexander Ovechkin, who due to his size (belive me, hes much much bigger than what you perceive) knows he can physically out match anyone anyway, so all the enemy can do is remove Ovies "time and space".

Hope I have been able to help a little, always happy to talk Hockey
Thanks for the information! I am learning as much as I can about the sport. Your answer explains why the Lightning have guys like Pat Maroon and Corey Perry. I think they perform the service of being hard checking forwards for Tampa.

It makes sense now that I think about it. Your 4th line wont play as much so why not use them to beat down the other team.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #28
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. I didn't know Hockey coaches did that. I will have to look at the game again to see if they say why Cooper started that line.
Not to derail from a great thread by Onlybygrace, but let's say the Seattle Kraken are in Florida (West) 😉, you can surely bet the Kraken's coach will surely start Gourde… Coaches do this also for players that just left that said team…
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)
Old 10-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the information! I am learning as much as I can about the sport. Your answer explains why the Lightning have guys like Pat Maroon and Corey Perry. I think they perform the service of being hard checking forwards for Tampa.

It makes sense now that I think about it. Your 4th line wont play as much so why not use them to beat down the other team.

They call it the energy line for a reason. They go out to wear down opposing team’s top lines while giving their guys a breather.

My general strategy is to use the third line on face offs in my own zone, and the top two lines in my opponents zone, using the fourth to give a breather.

But deeper you dive, you can really aim to force specific match-ups. It would be easier if the still provided home ice advantage.

That said, I’m solo, being able to use home ice advantage might have even too much of an advantage. There was a bit of feeling that the CPU isn’t doing the strategy.

So we may be better off without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #30
Banned

Head Coach's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeWhy

My general strategy is to use the third line on face offs in my own zone, and the top two lines in my opponents zone, using the fourth to give a breather.

But deeper you dive, you can really aim to force specific match-ups. It would be easier if the still provided home ice advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
This is a genius strategy. I see I need to make manual line changes instead of letting the changes be the automatic changes that take place.

I learn more about hockey all the time. It's amazing.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:24 AM   #31
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

I hate you all (I don't actually )...I caved and bought it at full price 100% because of the happiness coming from this thread. I still don't have time to play it (I'll squeeze some in here and there), but from just playing the trial version for 15 minutes while the game was downloading, I noticed a few nice differences, including some goalie animations.

Very much looking forward to finding a nice slider set (And roster!!! Anyone put out a good one yet?) to enjoy the game with.

Cheers all!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #32
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
I hate you all (I don't actually )...I caved and bought it at full price 100% because of the happiness coming from this thread. I still don't have time to play it (I'll squeeze some in here and there), but from just playing the trial version for 15 minutes while the game was downloading, I noticed a few nice differences, including some goalie animations.

Very much looking forward to finding a nice slider set (And roster!!! Anyone put out a good one yet?) to enjoy the game with.

Cheers all!
I’m pretty confident you won't regret your purchase kinsmen 😀 I also bought it full price 93$ CDN and while 22 didn’t cost me a penny since I’m on Gamepass, I thought I made a mistake when I caved in for 23… I have no regrets whatsoever now, best NHL gameplay experience of them all IMO…

If you want a nice slider set, you don't have to look really hard 😉

As per my roster, I’ve used a roster (Fixing EAs mistake) or something (not in front of the game) and I’ve never looked back since starting the game…. I’m on XBSX BTW…
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)

Last edited by PernellKarl076; 10-24-2022 at 11:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »