Home

What's the point in even having Goalies?

This is a discussion on What's the point in even having Goalies? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #17
Pro

Arrowhead21's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: What's the point in even having Goalies?

How are you 'supposed' to play hockey? what the hell are you talking about? You already admitted that you yourself, win games by scoring cheese goals. YOU dont play the game 'properly', yet you're sitting here complaining about other people.

I work the puck around the zone, fire for rebounds, crash the net, shoot from the point, deflections, etc. When someone skates into my zone, I angle them towards the boards and poke the puck off their stick. I don't allow shots from the slot, and when I do, I don't act surprised and blame the game if they go in. If a player occasionally roofs a shot from a bad angle thats fine, its not unlike real hockey. it's my fault for giving them time to get a shot off. So what am I doing that's not akin to real hockey? Everything you're saying just sounds like a person who got their *** kicked too bad on a game.

Play me right now and show me all these magical cheese goals youve got under your belt.

You say "they should fix them", but 2-3 years ago it wasn't even possible to score on snap shots. I'm glad they fixed THAT, because Literally every user-controlled goal was a one timer in NHL 12. That's when the game was truly unbalanced. Every time down the ice you knew another one timer was being loaded up, and with the heavily assisted passing of online play it was a nightmare to defend one timers. Its a lot easier to defend one player than it is two.
NBA:Toronto Raptors
MLB:Toronto Blue Jays
NCAAF:Oregon Ducks
NCAAB:Kansas Jayhawks

Last edited by Arrowhead21; 09-12-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

If you played the way that you say you would get scored on more than what you are admitting to because of the way the game is set up.

You can force someone to the outside all day and they can come down and snipe top shelf on the short side by flicking my stick in on a fake and then your goalie will bite hard off the post for some reason nearly every time. They pay no attention to the defensive help they have or the fact that there is no passing option far side, they bite on the pump when it isn't...

You know what man, forget it,. This isn't even worth the key strokes. Take care, enjoy your game and telling everyone how they are wrong and what EA has in the game is right.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #19
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

I have played nothing but play now games vs friends of mine and I can see both sides of the argument. If you know how to play the game of hockey it can be very easy to stop most cheese goals from happening, but there are still the few that do go in that leave me shaking my head.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:09 AM   #20
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vE8EctzyMc
Old 09-14-2014, 01:37 AM   #21
Rookie

and yet my highest goal total in one game is 4 (in an OT game) and have had multiple games only allowing 1-2 goal

sounds like the issue is your sliders or your playstyle not the game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #22
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtroom
and yet my highest goal total in one game is 4 (in an OT game) and have had multiple games only allowing 1-2 goal

sounds like the issue is your sliders or your playstyle not the game
Yea most of the games we have been playing have been around 1-3 goals allowed, with the few anomalies thrown in like a 6 goal game.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 2

The goalies are so bad in this game it's laughable. On breakaways goalies get mesmerized by any deke by any player. I just made Lundquist look like a fool with Manny Malhotra. I'm 10-2 in online games and I'd say 80% of the games have really been complete BS. It's just completely mind blowing to me that a company spends over a year working on this game, and puts absolutely ZERO effort into making goalies better. Just watch the goalie compared to the other players. The goalie just slides around the crease like a robot in pads. No desperation, no athletic saves or efforts, you know the goalies are bad when the dekes are faster than the goalies reaction time.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 1

a majority of you posters CLEARLY dont watch hockey or are oblivious just cause you win games.

these goalies are archaic at this point. Better defence address Op/s concerns. Did nobody read how pavelevec and say ryan miller play alike? There are no goalie tiers in this series or difference of skill level. This goes back to at least NHL 08. Every goalie in the NHL does not play alike.

I repeat they do no play alike. Bad angle goalies especially from the short side rarely are successful in real life as compared to this series. How is it 2014 and these guys still warp? They dont even at least move like realistic goalies...man i havent even addressed a.i here.

its clear to me this will never be fixed as you clowns are fine with this current system they have in place. as long as you play D huh your fine with having 60 dan cloutiers in net.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »