Home

Important Info Regarding Period Lengths!

This is a discussion on Important Info Regarding Period Lengths! within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Important Info Regarding Period Lengths!

Anyone else feel like the period lengths don't actually take amount of time they are supposed to? I felt this way so I decided to actually time the game clock with real life clock and see the time difference. Since I know many people including myself use 10 min periods,here are results I got using 10 min periods.

For every 10 seconds in real life,30 seconds pass on the game clock(meaning it'll take about 6.67 mins to complete a period set to 10 minutes if the clock never stopped). The number SHOULD be 20 seconds.

On those same settings,with penalty time scale in the middle,the clock does go according to the period length(so if you have 10 min periods,the 2 min penalty will take 1 minute in real life,as it should).

Calculated stuff taking into consideration that final 10 seconds of 1st/2nd period both actually take 10 seconds and final minute of 3rd is actually a minute. Then just used the 10 second real time sample I did before to calculate the other 19 minutes & 50 seconds of the gameclock(in 3rd periods case,just 19 minutes)

5 min period are actually 3.8 minutes(3rd period being 4.5 minutes)
10 min periods are actually 6.8 minutes(3rd being 7.3 minutes)
15 min periods are actually 10.1 minutes(3rd being 10.5 minutes)
20 min periods are actually 14.3 minutes(3rd being 14.6 minutes)

So by this logic, if you want actual 10 min periods,the period length should be set to 14-15 minutes and the penalty time scale should be set between 1-2. I tested this out,and it does give the results that 10 min periods with penalty time scale in the middle SHOULD be giving us. So for all those slider makers using 10 min periods, maybe this is something that needs to be considered when looking at stats like shots on goals,goals and penalties. 10 min periods don't actually mean 10 min periods,so maybe some stats which might be lower than they should be,are lower for good reason,cause the period lengths aren't actually as long as we think.

Feel free to test out things like this for yourself and provide feedback as well. Want to see if other people are getting same type of results as I am in terms of the game clock time compared to real life time.

Last edited by Majingir; 09-24-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Important Info Regarding Period Lengths!

interesting and I will test out.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

Majingir's Arena

The thing that throws me off is the final minute of periods, cause I believe the final minute of play has diff time settings. Final 10 seconds I believe do take 10 seconds(all because of the sound effect that counts down the final 10 seconds), and the other 50 seconds I think are slightly longer as well.

So it might not be 14-15 min periods which need to happen,number might be closer to 12-13, but things like that are what I'm gonna try and hope other people can try too and help out with determining.

You don't have to play an entire period(unless you're trying the final minute of play stuff), just skate around with the puck and use a timer or something and count 10 seconds on the timer and see how many seconds passed on the game clock,that's what I did to get the info I got.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Final minute are supposed to be real time. Part of the reason people feel the game has comeback logic online. You play 5 minute periods and 1 of those minutes is real and the other 4 make up the 19 other minutes in the period. Add in scaling for penalties and who knows how long the game is?

Love that EA math!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #5

Majingir's Arena

^Don't think that thing applies until the final 10 seconds of a period though since you can obviously hear the sound effect counting down the final 10 seconds,each going off every second.

Here's the numbers I got. For every 10 seconds in real life,here's how much time passes on the game clock if you set the period length to each of the following:

5 minutes:55 seconds(should be 40 seconds)
10 minutes:30 seconds(should be 20 seconds)
15 minutes:20 seconds(should be 13 seconds,I believe I did math right for this one...)
20 minutes:14 seconds(should obviously be 10 seconds)

Meaning:
5 min periods are actually 3.6 minutes
10 min periods are actually 6.7 minutes
15 min periods are actually 10 minutes
20 min periods are actually 14.3 minutes

Last edited by Majingir; 09-23-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

The 3rd period final minute is real time, no?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

Is there a setting to change this to actual time instead of sped up time?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #8

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
The 3rd period final minute is real time, no?
Ya, turns out it is like that. Guess those last min 3rd period comebacks are encouraged by EA,especially 1 goal games where it might be 6 on 5 for an entire minute in real time.

Recalculated stuff taking into consideration that final 10 seconds of 1st/2nd period both actually take 10 seconds and final minute of 3rd is actually a minute. Then just used the 10 second real time sample I did before to calculate the other 19 minutes & 50 seconds of the gameclock(in 3rd periods case,just 19 minutes)

5 min period are actually 3.8 minutes(3rd period being 4.5 minutes)
10 min periods are actually 6.8 minutes(3rd being 7.3 minutes)
15 min periods are actually 10.1 minutes(3rd being 10.5 minutes)
20 min periods are actually 14.3 minutes(3rd being 14.6 minutes)

So 14 min periods look like the way to go for those who want each period to take about 10 minutes in real time. I played 15 min periods and it took me about 40 minutes to get through,which makes sense since 10 min periods + breaks in plays/fights/penalties/goals add up to about that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »