Home

Rethinking the Face-Off System For NHL 16

This is a discussion on Rethinking the Face-Off System For NHL 16 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Rethinking the Face-Off System For NHL 16

NHL 11 may be most remembered for exposing thousands of hockey fans to the HUT virus. But for players of Be A GM, Be A Pro, Online Versus, and the EA Sports Hockey League, that edition is more likely to be recalled as the last time that Electronic Arts made significant changes to its face-off system. While the simplistic "rock-paper-scissors" interface was considered an improvement by 2010's standards, the mechanics' inherent limitations and pre-scripted nature have started to feel antiquated in recent seasons.

If face-offs are an important enough part of professional hockey that the Nashville Predators would gladly send the Buffalo Sabres their first-round draft pick just to ensure that fourth-line grinder (and face-off expert) Paul Gaustad would take the majority of the team's defensive zone draws every evening, then surely it is worth expanding this neglected area of EA's NHL games.

Read More - Rethinking the Face-Off System For NHL 16
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rethinking the Face-Off System For NHL 16

Chris, I really like this idea. Because it is hard to win faceoffs, for me anyways, no matter what player I am using. Even using a guy like Bergeron who is usually one of the top 5 players at FO% year in and year out.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Rookie

While I think the faceoff system needs a face lift I'm not for this new one that is suggested. What the faceoff systems needs is to get rid of it's pre scripted events aka tie up. As well it need to let you have full control of your guy defensively when you lose and not have to wait 2 seconds until you can swich men.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 9
If timing is the biggest factor determining the win, lag online will be the biggest factor determining the win.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
Pro

ASUBoy93's Arena

OVR: 2
I am all for this proposed option. It provides a great new base for a long broken part of the NHL series. Hope EA either reads this or has someone looking at a similar option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesizdead
If timing is the biggest factor determining the win, lag online will be the biggest factor determining the win.
Truth.

10char
Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 AM   #7
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesizdead
I was just about to post this.

This idea would work great in offline modes, but online not so much. Faceoffs would rely 100% on users connections rather than skill/ timing.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
Rookie

I'm not sure why this wheel is broken in people's eyes. I think it's pretty good as is. This purposes idea seems like it was meant to be used during the PS2 era, not on the next gen games. Back to button selection to determine things, not a fan.

Stick with the current system in place. Peach setup has a distinct counter to the setup. If you read through the guid provide many places including here at OS. It's fairly easy to identify which way you should setup.

However with that. I would say that one team should have to identify first the setup then the second person goes much like in real NHL. If the first player fails to determine in a timely manner that player is kicked out of circle. Same goes for the 2nd player after the first designates.

The next step is to know your players well. Whether it's your team or the opponent in the circle against you. This will help knowing if you have the best chance to win said faceoff or is it better to try the tie up.

The current system is the most fun. It's the challenge of understanding the setup and how do I counter it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »