Home

New Look: Rating Overhaul

This is a discussion on New Look: Rating Overhaul within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New Look: Rating Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...st-boards.html

Check that out.

Would people like to see goalie attributes examined or more skater attributes?
Give me some goalie attributes.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #34
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Goalie Attributes

Here is a good link to a full run-down on goalie attributes by none other than jyoung: http://nhlguides.net/goalie-attributes/

My main problem with goalie attributes is that a lot of them don't work as they are meant to. Take, for example, the 5-hole rating. There are a lot of different numbers, yet the fact remains that it is really hard to score 5-hole with a shot (clearing a PK, however, works often)—something that is the bread and butter of a lot of NHL goals, especially dirty goals and dekeing breakaways.

Agility and Speed seem to overlap a lot, namely in crease movement. Frankly, I see no reason why Speed couldn't be completely eliminated. Goalies moving out to play the puck move at essentially the exact same speed, and cross-crease movement is better defined as Agility.

With those points in mind, here are several new attribute categories.

1. Awareness
I have no clue why this isn't a thing. This attribute determines how aware a goalie is of opposing players on the rush, at a back post, and behind the net; this attribute also determines how quickly a player can find the puck in a scrum. Goalies with a higher Awareness rating will be more likely to sense the variety of shooting options the opposing team presents and will have an easier time locating and fixating on a puck in a scrum, and vice versa.

2. Power
I love this rating category. This attribute determines how powerful a goalie's T-pushes are, how much ground they can cover side-to-side and how well the goalie resists extra hacks at the puck while in a prone position. Goalies with a higher Power attribute will push off better, will cover more ice side-to-side, and will withstand extra hacks at the puck. Note: the extra ground covered may not necessarily be a good things, as goalies with higher Power ratings will be more likely to over-pursue and therefore be caught sliding out of position.

3. Spectacular Save [Ability]
This determines how capable a goaltender is at making spectacular saves, rather than every goalie being able to warp cross-crease. Goalies with higher Spectacular Save ratings will be better at sprawling and diving to make, well, spectacular saves.

*I would love to see a "reach" number for each goalie, determining how far they can stretch to make a cross-crease glove/blocker save. This one is more than doubtful though.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Goalie Attributes

Here is a good link to a full run-down on goalie attributes by none other than jyoung: http://nhlguides.net/goalie-attributes/

My main problem with goalie attributes is that a lot of them don't work as they are meant to. Take, for example, the 5-hole rating. There are a lot of different numbers, yet the fact remains that it is really hard to score 5-hole with a shot (clearing a PK, however, works often)—something that is the bread and butter of a lot of NHL goals, especially dirty goals and dekeing breakaways.

Agility and Speed seem to overlap a lot, namely in crease movement. Frankly, I see no reason why Speed couldn't be completely eliminated. Goalies moving out to play the puck move at essentially the exact same speed, and cross-crease movement is better defined as Agility.

With those points in mind, here are several new attribute categories.

1. Awareness
I have no clue why this isn't a thing. This attribute determines how aware a goalie is of opposing players on the rush, at a back post, and behind the net; this attribute also determines how quickly a player can find the puck in a scrum. Goalies with a higher Awareness rating will be more likely to sense the variety of shooting options the opposing team presents and will have an easier time locating and fixating on a puck in a scrum, and vice versa.

2. Power
I love this rating category. This attribute determines how powerful a goalie's T-pushes are, how much ground they can cover side-to-side and how well the goalie resists extra hacks at the puck while in a prone position. Goalies with a higher Power attribute will push off better, will cover more ice side-to-side, and will withstand extra hacks at the puck. Note: the extra ground covered may not necessarily be a good things, as goalies with higher Power ratings will be more likely to over-pursue and therefore be caught sliding out of position.

3. Spectacular Save [Ability]
This determines how capable a goaltender is at making spectacular saves, rather than every goalie being able to warp cross-crease. Goalies with higher Spectacular Save ratings will be better at sprawling and diving to make, well, spectacular saves.

*I would love to see a "reach" number for each goalie, determining how far they can stretch to make a cross-crease glove/blocker save. This one is more than doubtful though.
That reach number would be great. But wouldn't be there be a number of things affecting it though, that would make it difficult to calculate in a game. Things such as speed, agility, and leg length/height.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #36
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
That reach number would be great. But wouldn't be there be a number of things affecting it though, that would make it difficult to calculate in a game. Things such as speed, agility, and leg length/height.
That's true. But think of it as "wingspan" from 2k—guys like Chara would have longer reachers for stick-checking, guys like Ben Bishop would have slightly further reaches.

It's far from a perfect science, which I added it merely as an asterisk and something to put on the Wishlist shelf.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
That's true. But think of it as "wingspan" from 2k—guys like Chara would have longer reachers for stick-checking, guys like Ben Bishop would have slightly further reaches.

It's far from a perfect science, which I added it merely as an asterisk and something to put on the Wishlist shelf.
Yea looking at it as a wingspan instead of reach makes it far more possible to see in the game.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #38
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

Isn't that more of a relation to height though? I thought the 'general rule' was that your wingspan is usually about equal to your height, finger tip to finger tip.

I think agility and speed would be enough for the actual movement. reach is more of an issue with player modelling, and allowing small adjustments to be made to limb length. I think it would be cool if you could slightly scale limbs, so that people with slightly longer arms could have them, and vice versa.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #39
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Isn't that more of a relation to height though? I thought the 'general rule' was that your wingspan is usually about equal to your height, finger tip to finger tip.

I think agility and speed would be enough for the actual movement. reach is more of an issue with player modelling, and allowing small adjustments to be made to limb length. I think it would be cool if you could slightly scale limbs, so that people with slightly longer arms could have them, and vice versa.
I'm not thinking of a "wingspan" per se, that was just the comparable rating in 2k.

Start at 2:10 in the below video. That's something I would love to see implemented.

Keep up the comments and questions, glad to see this thread having a sort of renaissance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »